Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Tick Magnet

Eastman Lake, SMWF, 17 May 2014

Yesterday's hike was a mix old road hike and bushwhack into the northern edge of the Shaker Mountain Wild Forest.
The ultimate goal after parking on East Stoner Lake, was to follow the old road into a hunting camp site and then bushwhack up the outlet (Whitman Flow) to Eastman Lake.

The woods were extremely wet after over 2" of rain the night before and the old road had some muddy spots.
Fortunately, we found a dry side trail that climbed above the rushing inlet of E. Stoner Lake.
We followed that trail until it met with the old road just shy of Hidden Vly.

After some searching, we found the path that headed from Hidden Vly to the hunter's camp site on Whitman Flow.

A few cautious stream crossings prior to our arrival at the old hunting camp site convinced us we didn't want to try to hop the rain swollen Whitman Flow.

The bushwhack began easy enough as we headed up the west side of Whitman Flow on a small hunter's trail. Soon enough the trail died out and we were pushing through some pretty thick witch hobble. Although the blooms were beautiful they only mildly distracted us from the tough going through the thick brush. A highlight of this section of the walk were some absolutely huge maples, hemlocks and glacial erratics.

Soon, we arrived at the base of several cascading waterfalls that tumbled over the high plateau Eastman Lake sits on. Dubbing them "Witch Hobble" Falls, in honor of the brush we endured getting to see this wonderful sight.

In another few hundred yards we hit the shores of Eastman Lake.

The lake was absolutely gorgeous with plenty of rocky areas and beaver activity to keep us focused.

We found a rocky point just at the north end of the main basin to have lunch and dry out a little.

The cool breeze kept the few bugs away while we snacked and explored.

Two sea gulls put on an air show for us as they were none too happy with our presence on "their" lake.

Too soon it was time to head back down the hill. The woods were absolutely beautiful in the mid afternoon sun and everything seemed alive. Including the black flies, who soon found us and started buzzing around. They weren't that big of a deal as it was still cool and a good breeze was blowing through the trees. Not a bad day in the woods; the boots will dry out and the memories will last.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 03-14-2020 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Adding photos
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

have either of you or anyone else ever been back to eastman lake? when i did my trip to stewart and indian lake, i tho't about a bushwhack to eastman, from indian lake. ran out of time on that trip, but it is still on my radar...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
have either of you or anyone else ever been back to eastman lake? when i did my trip to stewart and indian lake, i tho't about a bushwhack to eastman, from indian lake. ran out of time on that trip, but it is still on my radar...
Maybe Sunday?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Wow. Talk about a thread resurrection.

Sadly, I have not been back here since my first explore six years ago. When we went, we did it from Stoner Lake through a series of unmarked logging roads and hunters trails. We had to bushwhack the last 1.5 miles or so around a big swamp and up the outlet. It was pretty straight forward, but it was some pretty wild country. A compass is your friend here.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:47 PM   #6
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Sunday would work for me. i was gonna go north from indian lake, the TR kinda scared me from your route...
Old 03-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #7
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

and 6 years is not that long for a resurrection...
Old 03-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Tick Magnet

Quote:
and 6 years is not that long for a resurrection...
Ha!

I've updated the TR to add a few pictures from that awesome trip.

So, did you make it to Eastman?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
rbi99

Never looked at the date, and I didn't even think about there not being any snow, but when you mentioned black flies that sure caught my attention!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

No, haven't made it to the lake yet. i did make a half-hearted attempt last week, but a late start and slushy snow conspired against me. made it to the small vly to the south and slightly east of Eastman, some nice WF's that way too. might try again this wkend if the entire country doesn't get shut down.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

kudos for hauling a boat up there, i was hoping to find a stashed one.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
Tick Magnet

Quote:
kudos for hauling a boat up there, i was hoping to find a stashed one.
I didn't haul the Hornbeck myself, it was someone in much better shape than I. We saw evidence of a campsite on the NE corner of the lake, (where the small peninsula separates the two main lobes). We didn't really look for a stashed boat, but I suspect there's probably one around somewhere.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #13
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

well, third times pays for all, as they say, so i finally made to Eastman Lake on my 3rd try! just under 8 mile RT from the Kane TH, and 6 hrs. followed the trail to Indian Lake to it's outlet, then bushwhacked from there. did a complete circumnavigation of the lake. no stashed boats, but did find a quite a few campsites, most of which haven't been used in years. also found an old hunting/logging campsite, lotsa debris. toughest part was getting up the hill from Indian Lake, there are some real cliffs in spots, and very steep stream beds. pretty open hardwoods, lotta big trees and even more immense boulders once you get to the top of the hill. took me 2 hrs from the TH to the lake, 2 hrs of exploration, and 2 hrs back. the lake is very nice, pretty much sets on bedrock, easy to walk right on the shore mostly. defiantly worth going back to, but i need some young whipper-snapper to carry the boat up for me...
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

and the seagulls are still there, very noisy!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I have to admit that I didn't see the thread date at first and had the initial reaction of "holy cow, I know that this year was an early spring but I still can't believe the black flies are out already."
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

posted a photo album on

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3317710&type=3

i cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pics on this site, sorry!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

https://imgur.com/ is a good site to use for photos. With the site open in a browser window on your PC, you can just drag and drop image files from your desktop onto the website and they will automatically upload.

After uploading, hover over each image and a "..." icon will show up in the upper right. Click on this icon to expand the menu, then select the "Get share links" option. Click "Copy Link" on the "BBCode (Forums)" example to copy the link, then paste the link into a forum post here. When you submit the post, the images will automatically show up in your post.

If the images are originals from your camera, you may need to resize them first before uploading them though- otherwise they will just be too big to look at when they show up in any thread/response that you post here.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #18
Tick Magnet

Awesome photos MB!

Makes me want to go back.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

well, after 6 years i would say it's high time you went back! would you still go the stoner lake way?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #20
Tick Magnet

MB, I think I would go back through Stoner Lake. The old roads weren't hard to follow to Hidden Vly and it was a pretty straight forward bushwhack for the last mile and a half. I do remember that the outlet of Eastman Lake (Whitman Flow) had some pretty interesting swampy areas that we had to navigate around, but it wasn't terrible.

Six years is a log time. You're right, I need to get back and explore the area some more.