Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
oruacat2

Feral hogs in Upstate NY

Not ADK-specific, but I thought you might find this piece interesting
oruacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
oruacat2

What sort of idiot would just release these hogs into the wild?
oruacat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
What sort of idiot would just release these hogs into the wild?
Last I read, they had been working their way North from Pennsylvania...they've been a big problem in the Allegheny area for years.

I grew up in a non-hunting family, but have always wanted to get out myself...this is exactly what I was wanting to try, so maybe now's the time to finally get a license and get out.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Last I read, they had been working their way North from Pennsylvania...they've been a big problem in the Allegheny area for years.

I grew up in a non-hunting family, but have always wanted to get out myself...this is exactly what I was wanting to try, so maybe now's the time to finally get a license and get out.
That would be a seemingly logical way to go, however:

For all of those reasons, state wildlife and agricultural officials would like to rid Pennsylvania of wild hogs before it's too late. They tried to do that last fall by baiting hogs into traps where entire family groups could be killed.

Hunters, though, have inadvertently been making that job harder. They killed an estimated 300 hogs last year, but by pressuring them, especially around baited areas, hunters are actually causing the pigs to spread out rather than controlling populations, Griswold said.
"It seems like a contradiction, but hunting is going to lead to our inability to control hogs in Pennsylvania. In this case, it's counterproductive," Griswold said.

See link:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_506122.html

This looks like a very difficult problem for states to come to grips with.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
WinterWarlock

Not sure what the alternative is then...maybe he means having a specific season? Maybe opening it up to year round helps, or perhaps the problem is there simply aren't enough hunters?

I certainly hope they don't resort to poisons, which always have unintended consequences.

I'm up for a pig roast - it'd be a great way to have a Gathering party!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
That would be a seemingly logical way to go, however:

For all of those reasons, state wildlife and agricultural officials would like to rid Pennsylvania of wild hogs before it's too late. They tried to do that last fall by baiting hogs into traps where entire family groups could be killed.

Hunters, though, have inadvertently been making that job harder. They killed an estimated 300 hogs last year, but by pressuring them, especially around baited areas, hunters are actually causing the pigs to spread out rather than controlling populations, Griswold said.
"It seems like a contradiction, but hunting is going to lead to our inability to control hogs in Pennsylvania. In this case, it's counterproductive," Griswold said.

See link:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_506122.html

This looks like a very difficult problem for states to come to grips with.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
adkman12986

Quote:
Not sure what the alternative is then...maybe he means having a specific season? Maybe opening it up to year round helps, or perhaps the problem is there simply aren't enough hunters?

I certainly hope they don't resort to poisons, which always have unintended consequences.

I'm up for a pig roast - it'd be a great way to have a Gathering party!

Scott
I agree that poisons are Not the way to go. To many non targeted animals will die. Years ago they used to have a bounty on the coyotes. Maybe this might be the way to go. Yes I know the state is broke but they seem to find money for other pork (no pun intended) barrel spending. Besides wild pork is good eating.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:

Scott
The problem is that apparently hunting the swine at all tends to disperse the remaining animals into other, new areas where they are nearly impossible to find since they are extremely intelligent.

The trapping done by state agencies apparently has a much better chance of catching entire family groups, from what I've read, and mitigates against further dispersing of survivors into entirely new range areas.

At least that's the party line I've seen on several state wildlife websites.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
bethfit

I would think they would be good eating...no?
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethfit View Post
I would think they would be good eating...no?
Yes they are!

Not going to be like pork in the store, probably leaner and considering what they eat you want to be very careful with dressing and preparing.

What type of hogs are they? From the story it sounds like a heritage strain that escaped and is now feral, if that's the case I'd say they are definately goot eatin'!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Braise them down all day long, nice and slow until the meat literally starts falling apart. Then put the wild boar 'stew' on some homemade jonnycakes.

Now, where did I put that old 45-70.........
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
texasyankee

Texas has more feral hogs than any other state. With mild winters, few natural predators and lots of cover, Texas is prime breeding ground. Here is a Q&A from the Texas Parks and Wildlife.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ral_hogs/#hunt
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
geogymn

Family trappings seem like the most logical way to address said problem. Is the public authorized to do so?
Mewonders how many piglets meet there demise by way of coyote?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Mewonders how many piglets meet there demise by way of coyote?
I wonder how many coyotes meet their demise by way of momma hogs?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Limekiln

I don't think you'll find a hog killing an Adirondack coyote.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
I don't think you'll find a hog killing an Adirondack coyote.
I wonder if our Coy-Wolf hybrids would start to predate on a feral pig population? They are certainly capable and smart enough to predate on at least the young etc. I wonder if there is any examples of Wild pigs and Pure Red Wolf interactions that would be an interesting viewpoint for how that might pan out here in the Adirondacks with a strong Coywolf population. Either way I would at least guess that a strong winter above all else, would keep the feral pig population down if it did take hold. I do also agree that luring feral pigs into a pen would be far more effective then having hunters try to do it..
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
Alpine1

I have seen a couple videos from a guy in Texas who hunts wild hogs with dogs, mostly pitbull mix. On several occasion a dog has been killed by the hog. Maybe not the same as a pack of coyotes hunting a hog but I'd dare say the coyote might have his hands full if not careful.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
I wonder if our Coy-Wolf hybrids would start to predate on a feral pig population? They are certainly capable and smart enough to predate on at least the young etc. I wonder if there is any examples of Wild pigs and Pure Red Wolf interactions that would be an interesting viewpoint for how that might pan out here in the Adirondacks with a strong Coywolf population. Either way I would at least guess that a strong winter above all else, would keep the feral pig population down if it did take hold. I do also agree that luring feral pigs into a pen would be far more effective then having hunters try to do it..
That's an interesting thought - and I suspect that our larger ADK coy-wolf would have more success in preying on the swine than smaller coyotes in Texas and California (where the hogs are apparently very common).
Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
bobadkhunter

I live in St.lawrence Co. and this was the 5TH year in a row we have had pig "sign" on our hunting property. Two years ago I finally got pictures on my trail cam(6-8 pics). This past year i got only 2 pics. The pictures appear to be of a male ,a female and one frame had one small piglet. None of our hunting gruop has seen any of the pigs and we deer hunt the property alot. I've sent the pictures to our Region 6 biologist. She contacted me and stated she was aware of these particular pigs. The DEC attempted to trap this family gruop on a neighboring property approx. 3-4 miles away without success. That wa last year, this year she told me she could send over DEC shooters ,but I had to state that these pigs were going thru our property daily or staying on our property. I couldn't say this for sure since I only had 2 pics which were days apart. My belief is they go thru on a weekly basis but certainly not every day. Supposedly you can shoot these pigs anytime and you only have to have a small game licence(thats what DEC told me).
This past fall a farmer/hunter killed a boar that weighed approx. 350 lbs. I was sent the photo and it appears to be quite possibly the boar(black Russian type) that I had on my trail cam. This farmers property is approx. 7 miles from mine. If I could figure out how to post pictures on here I'd post my photos.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadkhunter View Post
... Supposedly you can shoot these pigs anytime and you only have to have a small game licence(thats what DEC told me).
From the DEC website: "DEC's goal is to eradicate feral swine from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game license may shoot and keep feral swine at any time and in any number."
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
ADKHUNTER

I certainly don't want to see any invasive species around but if they're gonna be here I'm sure gonna do my best to kill them. Year round hunting! Not too shabby.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote