Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #21

What all be interesting will be how normally high use areas may get a chance to recover for an extra few months.[/QUOTE]

Maybe no blackflies??? They will expire due to lack of humans to chow on

I know, wishful thinking...more likely they will shelter in place as well and then unleash their mayhem in July and August...
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #22
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Get SCUBA certified and go spear fishing.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #23
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Somewhat relevant to the discussion, as it pertains to the potential for placing increased strain on the DEC's already-strained resources: https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...-for-covid-19/
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #24
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Thanks for the info. Being a law enforcement officer and already having security clearances and training he would be of help I am sure in urban areas but is sending these officers there a wise choice considering all the responsibilities they have with the needs of the Adirondacks ?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
Wldrns

When I saw the notice a week or so ago that two rangers were being sent south, I figured it was only a matter of time before one or both came down with the virus. And possibly brought it back north.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #26
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
When I saw the notice a week or so ago that two rangers were being sent south, I figured it was only a matter of time before one or both came down with the virus. And possibly brought it back north.
A distinct possibility. Is this the wisdom of Gov. Coma?
Old 04-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #27
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

FWIW, the two rangers mentioned in the press release that came out last week weren't "sent south," rather they were already assigned to patrol state lands located downstate. One is assigned to Region 1 (Long Island) while the other is assigned to Region 3 (the lower Hudson Valley).

There is also a NYSDEC Forest Ranger assigned to New York City. Several Environmental Conservation Officers are assigned to New York City as well.

Sort of a moot point given that rangers have been sent downstate from the Adirondacks, but I also wanted to point out that there are also already rangers that work in and around New York City.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #28
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I should add that New York is under a State of Emergency, so the boiler plate response is to follow the instructions of the authorities, and their instruction is to stay at home. The fact that businesses are open does not mean you are free to go "browsing," If you rely on your bicycle for transportation to the grocery store and broke a derailer, you can go and get a replacement or repair, but except for essential trips we are ordered in NYS to STAY HOME.
This is all well and good (and I mostly agree), but to be clear that also means do not get in the car and go fishing or go for a drive to ďget out of the houseĒ, even if you donít get out of the car, correct?

I donít necessarily agree with this, for the simple fact that this is going to require a 6-9-12 month change in societies habits. So increasing peopleís activities in the more solo type options will lead to a more sustainable/long term change to reduce human interaction.

It simply wonít be feasible for everyone to stay home for 12 months.

Just my thoughts when thinking in the long term.
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #29
Viking

Apparently it depends on who you are asking. There is a bit hypocrisy in this thread.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #30
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Apparently it depends on who you are asking. There is a bit hypocrisy in this thread.
I agree, rubs me the wrong way.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #31
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post
This is all well and good (and I mostly agree), but to be clear that also means do not get in the car and go fishing or go for a drive to ďget out of the houseĒ, even if you donít get out of the car, correct?

I donít necessarily agree with this, for the simple fact that this is going to require a 6-9-12 month change in societies habits. So increasing peopleís activities in the more solo type options will lead to a more sustainable/long term change to reduce human interaction.

It simply wonít be feasible for everyone to stay home for 12 months.

Just my thoughts when thinking in the long term.
I normally travel 50 miles to a Finger Lakes Tributary for Opening Day of the trout season, that didn't happen, it is 6 miles to a local Lake Ontario Tributary, that has not happened since March 12 local limits were imposed on March 13), and likely the run is pretty much over now. I was out once to the grocery store and once to get a prescription in the last two and a half weeks. I suppose if you are bullet proof it is OK for you to galavant around fishing and hiking and all, but if you break your leg and the mother of one of the first responders dies of CV19 two weeks later, or you break a tie rod, and the same happens to the father of the tow truck operator, how do you feel about " the long term" then.

It's not a question of what you agree with, as this is what is called a "State of Emergency" and in New York at least the governor has assumed dictatorial powers. So what you think doesn't mean squat anymore, at least until election time, if we ever have another one in the great Empire State.

It will certainly be feasible to stay at home for 12 months if you are jailed, as happened to a symptomatic individual who refused to quarantine or be tested the other night in Rochester.

The more times you leave your property, the more times you have a chance of getting infected. Once you are infected, the more times you leave the more you are spreading the virus around even more, until you become symptomatic, at which point you will hopefully be altruistic enough to stay home until you resolve.

And, yes, I'm getting a little cranky from isolating and watching everyone else going around as if nothing at all was happening.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #32
Woodly

I agree with Lucky. We can't travel without stopping somewhere and when we stop we expose and get exposed to the unseen problem. That's why a 15 mile travel notice to hike, etc, was imposed or suggested.
My wife is just now recovering from close to a 3 week ordeal and we were ahead of the game being very careful but yet she still got it plus, weakened, she got a bacterial infection, which is something I'll bet many victims of the virus get and of course pneumonia always lurks near the sick.
Life could be a lot harder than sitting around the house or working in the yard.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #33
hike53

Ditto on Schultzz's last post .. Something about arguing with an idiot.....
hike53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #34
Viking

So let me get this straight hike53.

You don't want down state people with their disease ridden butts in your neck of the woods, but then head to the gear shop and interact with these people wondering how many northern people got infected? Perhaps you are the carrier now.

Did you discuss the impact on the ADK's with the owner prior to opening for the day?

You seem to be concerned - why did you put yourself in harms way?

In my 20+ years in the ADK's, on 2 occasions I have led parties that were lost out of the mountains. In your fictional examples, maybe I find people lost in the backcountry again. This time, instead of having to contact the DEC for help I was able to allow the rangers to not have to respond, thereby saving the resources for a more urgent need. Perhaps helping somebody you care about.

Now it's been determined that anyone driving a significant distance while recreating has questionable ethics. Who gets to decide what the definition of significant is? Does my one hypothetical trip in the wee hours pose less of the threat than a local people going places every day? If I drive 100 miles in the ADK's getting out of my car once do I pose less of a threat than the person driving 10 miles on 10 different days? You guys are touching the gas pumps, the door handles, the sign in boards, etc. all the time.

I stay in my house as we are supposed to. I make minimal trips for groceries and such but am staying home hoping this will pass. If you are out there recreating in the woods (just read the damn posts on this site) then I would say you are not being the best possible steward of the land in this case.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #35
BlackJack

This applies to anybody from Dutchess south to Suffolk and NJ, your exposure rate ( as per NYSDOH figures) is over 50%. Why would you want to spread this virus to Upstate Counties that are experiencing a virus rate of less than 10%? We are all looking forward to recreating in the Adirondacks. We need to hold tight for another week or two.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #36
Viking

Who said I was from down state?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #37
Woodly

Why not obey the, Stay In Place Order, and exercise within 15 miles of home?

BlackJack...nice post
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #38
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
This applies to anybody from Dutchess south to Suffolk and NJ, your exposure rate ( as per NYSDOH figures) is over 50%. Why would you want to spread this virus to Upstate Counties that are experiencing a virus rate of less than 10%? We are all looking forward to recreating in the Adirondacks. We need to hold tight for another week or two.
Itís certainly good for all people from all counties to stay home as much as possible.

That part that rubs me the wrong way is calling downstate (I am from Oneida county and have not even gone to a grocery store in 3 weeks, I personally stay home) people derogatory terms and telling them to stay home. People throughout the Adirondacks are also hopefully staying home and not participating in outdoor recreation.

This is a much longer term situation than 2 weeks, or even 2 months. This is going to be a major issue until a vaccine is finalized. Travel will ease up somewhat once widespread, rapid testing is rolled out. At that point I imagine solo activities such as outdoor recreation will be encouraged by the state, something will likely be encouraged to keep people mentally healthy.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #39
BlackJack

It’s not derogatory. Look at the facts. We all can see the hotspots.
Common sense people. It’s about population density.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #40
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The DEC is encouraging people to get out and get exercise, but not to travel long distances, get close to other people or use shared equipment/facilities. Here's a link to the current guidance on their site:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/119881.html
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote