Winter parking for Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter parking for Buck

what's the best winter parking for Buck? The Hogstown large lot? Or the lot a bit down the road towards the lake, nearer to the Buck trailhead? Is just the Dacy Clearing lot closed in winter/spring? Thanks!

We climbed from Hogtown in winter.

Comment

Perfect!

Comment

I haven't been up there to check but I know Shelving Rock Road is closed as of March 2. Usually they close it just above where Hogtown Road goes to South Bay. That adds about a mile, or more, to your hike if you park at the gate. Just remember, locals, town and emergency vehicles need to be able to get through there so don't block the gate. Might be better off coming in from Pilot Knob.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
          I haven't been up there to check but I know Shelving Rock Road is closed as of March 2. Usually they close it just above where Hogtown Road goes to South Bay. That adds about a mile, or more, to your hike if you park at the gate. Just remember, locals, town and emergency vehicles need to be able to get through there so don't block the gate. Might be better off coming in from Pilot Knob.
          Ahh - didn't think about that. I've been up in spring but usually early April and it's always been open.

Comment

Oh....maybe thats the rumor I heard somewhere. So hike Buck from Pilot Knob, I'll have to check the guidebook on the that and the metrics. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
              Oh....maybe thats the rumor I heard somewhere. So hike Buck from Pilot Knob, I'll have to check the guidebook on the that and the metrics. Thanks!
              A little longer and steeper.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

i havent done Buck from the hogtown side but i normally go from PK. A few steeper sections but if youre an avid hiker, the difference shouldnt be anything to worry about

Comment

Drove into Hogtown early this morning. Good to go, town has done a good job on the road. Two weeks ago it was a muddy mess. Gotta believe it will be crowded. Road to Dacy is still closed. Please PM me if you see any turkeys!
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Hiked Buck from Pilot Knob on April 4. Large parking area not full
                    All day and a fantastic dry hike. Definitely the way to go and spent about an hour just hanging on the ledges after summiting.

Comment

Anybody get to Dacy Clearing recently? Is the road open? 4WD needed? Clearance any worse than the fall? Thanks!

Comment

Anybody get to Dacy Clearing recently? Is the road open? 4WD needed? Clearance any worse than the fall? Thanks!
                        Shelving Rock Road has re-opened. Dacy Clearing Road will be closed for the remainder of the spring mud season.
                        https://www.facebook.com/adkpaddleski/

https://northeastwild.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X