Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Coldriver bridge

I am looking for a picture of the bridge that went over the coldriver below Shattuck's clearing at the ranger station. Does anyone have a slide or picture of it? If so can you contact me.
Thanks - Bob
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
dundee

This would be the logging bridge built in the early '50's?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was when it was built, I talked to a guy yesterday who went over it in the seventies.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
dundee

You know, it may be older that the 50's. Now that I think about it, how did they get supplies & stuff to the station at Shattuck? And before it was a ranger station, it was a logging camp. I believe they used the Calkins Creek Truck Trail. If that's true, then a bridge could go back to the early 1900's or so.

I know the hermit took over some building from the Santa Clara Lumber Co., and if memory serves, they had the camp at Shattuck as well.

Perhaps it was rebuilt in the 50's?

Anyway, I can't help you with a photo of the bridge, only the abutments as I was first there in '82, after the bridge was gone.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
mailtrain
mailtrain

Bob would this be the bridge you were looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bridge on Cold River Trail.jpg (128.2 KB, 239 views)
mailtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

mailtrain
I don't know I have never seen a picture of it. At the spot I am talking about the river is real wide there, I'm guessing it has to be a hundred feet accross at the point I am talking about. Seems like there would had to have been a support in the middle of the river. This one looks like it might have gone across Moose creek.Some place I have pictures of the spot an the what is left of it . I'll post it if I can find it

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
mailtrain
mailtrain

The bridge pictured was built in 1933 by the CCC over Cold river. I'm still looking for more info.

View of seven Civilian Conservation Corps members building a wooden bridge over Cold River near the north end of Long Lake in Long Lake, Hamilton County in the Adirondack Mountains. This image was created to record the forest fire control activities of the New York State Conservation Department.

This the caption that goes with the picture above.

Last edited by mailtrain; 11-10-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Adirondack Author

CCC log bridge built over Cold River

CRB- I have interviewed some old timers who served in the CCC side camp at Shattuck clearing. They spoke about building the foot bridges and the new Big Horn interior ranger cabin. Wondering where "mailtrain" obtained the photo of the boys on the completed bridge. Later a bigger bridge made of concrete and steel beam spanned the river to accept heavy log trucks during the years of timer salvage following the November 1950 "Big Blow." How do I ask "mailtrain" a question? I'm not familiar with ADK Forum
Adirondack Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
mailtrain
mailtrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Author View Post
CRB- I have interviewed some old timers who served in the CCC side camp at Shattuck clearing. They spoke about building the foot bridges and the new Big Horn interior ranger cabin. Wondering where "mailtrain" obtained the photo of the boys on the completed bridge. Later a bigger bridge made of concrete and steel beam spanned the river to accept heavy log trucks during the years of timer salvage following the November 1950 "Big Blow." How do I ask "mailtrain" a question? I'm not familiar with ADK Forum
Ask away I check in almost everyday.Or you can send a PM.Here is a link where I found the info.
http://hsl.wikispot.org/Front_Page

Last edited by mailtrain; 11-11-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailtrain View Post
The bridge pictured was built in 1933 by the CCC over Cold river. I'm still looking for more info.

View of seven Civilian Conservation Corps members building a wooden bridge over Cold River near the north end of Long Lake in Long Lake, Hamilton County in the Adirondack Mountains. This image was created to record the forest fire control activities of the New York State Conservation Department.

This the caption that goes with the picture above.

I don't want to cause a major dispute here, and perhaps I'm wrong, but the creek/river in the photo sure doesn't LOOK wide enought to be the Cold River. Somewhere I have a pic of the area in '82. CRB is correct, the river is wide at that point.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Sapien
outlander

I know nothing of the subject but the pic above came from: http://www.archives.nysed.gov/a/digi...s/browse.shtml

if you search for Cold River there are a couple other pics from the same area. the title on both above & below pics is "New Bridge on Cold River Trail, Cross Clearing Camp, CCC Labor"

the 1st pic also appears on:
http://hsl.wikispot.org/Cross_clearing

Calkins Brook crossing maybe?

Last edited by Sapien; 11-12-2012 at 01:05 AM..
Sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Here is a picture taken of where the bridge used to be, if you look to the left you see part of the bridge embankment. The bridge would have been near the old gravel pit. You can see how wide the river is at the point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coldriver crossing missing bridge.jpg (145.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
tgoodwin

I would guess that the picture of the bridge with seven CCC workers is the Ward Brook Truck Trail bridge over Moose Creek just above its junction with the Cold River. (This is not to be confused with the Moose Creek that joins the Cold River at Shattuck Clearing.) Neither of the CCC era truck trails to Duck Hole or Shattuck Clearing crossed the Cold River proper, so this bridge would have to be on one of those roads. I haven't hiked the truck trail to Shattuck Clearing, but of all the bridges on the Ward Brook Truck Trail, the Moose Creek one seems most likely.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Here is another one taken this May from the North bank looking South with a telephoto lense
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coldriver crossing missing bridge 2.jpg (108.3 KB, 175 views)
Old 12-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I stumbled across this thread while looking for something else... and coincidentally, while looking for another something else a few months ago I happened across this picture. It's not the greatest picture of the bridge (being an aerial photo) but it is nevertheless a photo of the bridge that once spanned the river at Shattuck Clearing (or rather part of the bridge, a few of the spans appear to have already washed away by the time this photo was taken).

Also visible is the old ranger station.

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

looking back at mailtrains photo of that footbridge, that looks like the Seward Brook near Ouluska lean-to. I know that does not square with the caption though. But it certainly isn't the Cold River near Shattuck.

As far as how supplies were brought to Shattuck, there also is an old roadbed from Long Lake to there.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, I don't think Moose Pond Stream is right for that photo. The banks where the truck trail crosses are too high at Moose Pond Stream for that to be it.

I agree that Seward Brook is possible, if not likely. Rondeau's wasn't too far from there, and that was a lumber camp first before he set up residence there.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote