Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
RonandJon

Cat Mountain

Chili Willie and I are planning to paddle Cranberry Lake, camp a day or two, and take a hike up Cat Mt.

Has anyone been that way recently? I have read in some of the threads that there is still a lot of blow down in the area.

Any tips on good camping spots in the area? tenting or LT? thanks
RonandJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
fvrwld

I can't help you out but just wanted to say that its good to see you on here again. How ya' been? Funny, your name came up two weeks ago while I was hiking with Dick and Joanne.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandJon View Post
Chili Willie and I are planning to paddle Cranberry Lake, camp a day or two, and take a hike up Cat Mt.

Has anyone been that way recently? I have read in some of the threads that there is still a lot of blow down in the area.

Any tips on good camping spots in the area? tenting or LT? thanks
Hi Ron,

Nice to see you on the board again! It's been a year since we did the Cranberry 50 and we didn't go up Cat Mountain, so I can't help you about the blowdown. I believe we stayed at nearby Glasby Pond, maybe a few minutes from the turnoff to Cat Mt. (working without a map and with a failing memory here!). It's not a huge site, large enough to hold a few tents comfortably, as I recall. No lean-to there.

Here is a trail description from the Cranberry 50 website.

Maybe chairrock, if he's reading it will have some suggestions. He's quite familiar with the area.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ADKeagle

I was through there earlier this May, doing the CL50. Dick is right, there is a decent campsite right on the trail next to Glasby Pond. It is just a short distance further to the Cat Mtn cutoff trail. Also, I know there is a lean-to at Janacks landing which I've never seen or been to, but I assume that spot is very popular.

Other spots: (not necessarily near Cat Mtn )We stayed at the Olmstead Pond lean-to, which somebody maintains very nicely! From reading the log book it sounded like lots of canoers land their boats on Cranberry and hike the few (3 or so if memory serves me right) miles in to that lean-to. Another nice campsite on Cranberry Lake is in Chairrock flow. It is right on the water and very spacious.

There is still a ton of blowdown in that area, the trails are all clear though. It makes for a good Rabbit population! I will be hiking Cat Mtn next weekend from High Falls so if thats when you're coming maybe I'll see you on the trails somewhere.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
RonandJon

Thanks to everyone. Great to hear from you all. Yes, I am well, and 4 days into my retirement! Chili Willie and I canoed in from Wanakena, stayed at the LT at Janack's Landing. On a Monday a week after Labor Day, we were the only ones there. In fact, we saw no one else for 45 hrs. Trails were clear, but a little muddy after the rains (and hail). First trip for me in two years. I like the canoeing, since Chili Willie and I are well matched, and I never get left behind because I am too slow! I like the easy day hikes with day pack, too, since I am way out of shape and carrying more weight than I did when I was hiking the High Peaks. Looking forward to getting back out more often now that I am retired. Here is a link to an album of pix Chili Willie took of the hike and which I put up on my FB page. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1531406017
RonandJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, the blowdown from the microburst is quite evident and is everywhere in the area. The trails, however, have been cleared of any blowdown for a while now, and there hasn't been any recent major storm events in that area of note. When we did the CL50 last fall, I don't think we encountered any major blowdown along the entire route.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

About 2 miles past the Cat Mt trail is the Cowhorn Pond leanto. Nice site.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat mt., cranberry lake