Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2021, 01:27 AM   #1
Jsullivan524
James Sullivan

More Forest Rangers at Hudson River Special Managment Area

I have been the steward for Hudson River Special Managment Area. There was always two forest rangers assigned here. The place felt safer and less crime. in 2020 NYSDEC went from having two rangers to one ranger. When the ranger is in another area fighting wild fire or looking someone there is nobody filling in for HRSMA. There has been lot of illegal stuff happening here since 2020. During the night around 5:00 and throughout the night people are camping on vegetation on the trails, people throwing garbage.
many local residents who i talk to said they do not feel safe camping there they have run into very rude people.

PBA of NY told me last year there is a vacancy that the state could hire one more ranger for Hudson River Special Management Area.

Please help me reach my goal is getting 100 signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/new-york-st...Wt1k5yccsOs0r8
https://www.facebook.com/StewardsforHRSMA/
Jsullivan524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
TCD

I signed, of course. Good luck!

But: "Do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands." (Eomer, in the Lord of the Rings)

We have the same problem in the High Peaks. Rangers here are at half their 1970 level, in terms of Rangers per Acre of State Land. And the Rangers that are here are beset with paperwork, and with duty as parking meter-maids, which further reduces the time they can spend "Ranging."

Locals, and the Rangers themselves, have been pushing for years for the restoration of the Ranger force. Zero results.

Maybe you'll get lucky. But you might want to develop a backup plan.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:45 PM   #3
Jsullivan524
James Sullivan

Thank you very much for signing. A Lt.Forest Ranger and a Union rep said to me there is one more vacancy the DEC could hire one more ranger for Lake George Wild Forest. Due to COVID-19 they did away with the one second ranger.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #4
Jsullivan524
James Sullivan

But: "Do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands." (Eomer, in the Lord of the Rings)

is a great quote thank you for sharing.