Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
BenM

Allen 1-23-16

I headed out with a group of 11 from the Adirondack Mountain Club, Albany Chapter, led by Claudia Warren. We started on snow shoes and pretty much kept them on all the way up and back. We went at a good pace over a fairly packed down trial. The Opalescent River was frozen (thank goodness) and we were able to cross without issue. It was a cold day, but perfect weather to hike. The trail was pretty flat but once you start going up its steep and it slowed the pace of the group considerably. Finally getting to the top there were some good views just off the summit. I snapped quick pictures of several in the group before heading back. The way down was mostly sliding, and this felt pretty good (except for the getting back up part). After sliding down the steep part, it was then just a long slog back, but at least the sun came out. I stopped a few times and just stood getting some sun on my face. It became a race to get back to the trailhead before sunset, which didn't happen. I donned a headlamp for the last hour of the hike. It began to snow lightly at the tail end, when finally the trailhead emerged from the trees. The two guys I drove were already nice and warm in the car. We drove down to Pottersville and got some good food at the Black Bear. I'd say it was one of the most challenging hikes I have done, made more challenging due to a snow shoe mishap--one of the shoes wouldn't stay on, and there was ice build up on both throughout the hike. Eventually one of the crampons broke off, and I switched to micro spikes (luckily the trail was packed down enough for this...). I got a new pair of MSRs that I will be using for my next hike in a few weeks.....but even with all the issues---another great day in the woods!
BenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've heard that spraying some no-stick cooking spray onto your snowshoes can help with snow/ice buildup, but I've never tried it myself.

I've found that carrying some spare nuts, bolts, and washers is always a good idea for field repairs on MSR snowshoes in case one of the rivets breaks. At this point, most of the rivets on my snowshoes have been replaced with nuts and bolts.

Yeah, Allen is a long and challenging slog, especially in the winter. Thanks for the trip report.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote