Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club
 
chairrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,671
Road salt debate

https://www.northcountrypublicradio....earview-mirror
__________________
Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
backwoodsman
Member
 
backwoodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 316
They put down a ridiculous amount of salt on the roads , and I think it's resulted in people driving at ridiculous speeds during the winter because they have no respect for winter conditions , even after driving past wrecks .
Truckload after truckload of straight salt being dumped everywhere , yeah we need a commission of high salaries for several years to study if that's bad for the watershed and environment .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
They put down a ridiculous amount of salt on the roads , and I think it's resulted in people driving at ridiculous speeds during the winter because they have no respect for winter conditions , even after driving past wrecks .
Truckload after truckload of straight salt being dumped everywhere , yeah we need a commission of high salaries for several years to study if that's bad for the watershed and environment .
I agree.
Salt isn't good for the environment or vehicles.
One can drive fairly fast on packed snow, I'm old enough to remember, but tourists demand clean roads and higher speeds.
Too, cinders and sand were what was used on hills and intersections.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
TCD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,880
Nothing new here. Same discussion from a couple years ago:

https://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=25809

The article covers the same ground. It's reasonably accurate, except:

>It does disservice by trying to revise history to blame the Olympics for the use of road salt; that's simply false, and suggests some kind of political narrative.

>It states "no solutions have been found" which is not really true; the DOT is piloting various solutions already, as stated in their comment.

The logical next step would be to implement some of the existing technological solutions. As I said on the other thread, I think the taxpayers would be willing to pay for those.

(As a taxpayer, I agree that I don't want to pay for yet another do-nothing government commission, to enrich politicians' friends. But that's the way it's done in NY State. We will probably have to wait a few more years to see the implementation of solutions that are ready right now...)
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
IndLk_Brett
Member
 
IndLk_Brett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 243
Someone recently told me a story about something that happened after they salted the roads during a storm the other day. They woke up to find lick marks all over their vehicle in the morning. Turns out the deer had been around and going after the salt left over on the car.

Mobile salt lick.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
backwoodsman
Member
 
backwoodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
I agree.
Salt isn't good for the environment or vehicles.
One can drive fairly fast on packed snow, I'm old enough to remember, but tourists demand clean roads and higher speeds.
Too, cinders and sand were what was used on hills and intersections.
It does a lot of damage to the roads and bridges also , it's one of those things that causes more problems than it solves.How often is salt even on the road long enough to do it's intended job before it's being scraped off and another coating put down. Scraped off into the ditches , into the creeks , and against the " Protect the Watershed " signs .

There's more than one way to spin your wheels .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Someone recently told me a story about something that happened after they salted the roads during a storm the other day. They woke up to find lick marks all over their vehicle in the morning. Turns out the deer had been around and going after the salt left over on the car.

Mobile salt lick.
In some places in Canada there are; Do Not Let The Moose Lick Your Car' signs, seriously.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
It does a lot of damage to the roads and bridges also , it's one of those things that causes more problems than it solves.How often is salt even on the road long enough to do it's intended job before it's being scraped off and another coating put down. Scraped off into the ditches , into the creeks , and against the " Protect the Watershed " signs .

There's more than one way to spin your wheels .
All good points backwoodsman
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.