No announcement yet.

Emerald Ash Borer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really odd how they seem to choose trees (gypsy moths).

I've seen two sugar maples within 100 yards of each other, one had a few holes in the foliage and the other completely defoliated. Same with all sorts of trees.

Luckily there are none in my neighborhood.

I haven't seen them touch a Walnut or Cottonwood. I've seen them all over Sycamore and a few holes in the leaves, but no real damage.

I'd heard from others they can be a real problem for Apple trees.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
      I actually think that's still the case...

they might have asked us that, in which case it's considered "local" wood. Not sure how they might actually track that so IMO it's a stupid decision to allow it.
      I was thinking that you had to provide information when registering for the site (like your address) - so just by that they would have an idea if you were within the radius. If someone saw that you had wood along and you were beyond that, then they could logically question it.
      Though in any case it would seem that those bugs aren't going to survive being burned anyway (if they don't survive the drying process which is bound to be a lower temperature so the wood doesn't actually burn).

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGr View Post
        I was thinking that you had to provide information when registering for the site (like your address) - so just by that they would have an idea if you were within the radius. If someone saw that you had wood along and you were beyond that, then they could logically question it.
        Though in any case it would seem that those bugs aren't going to survive being burned anyway (if they don't survive the drying process which is bound to be a lower temperature so the wood doesn't actually burn).
        Right - I was thinking they'd do the same, but no experience. I know if you bring "local" wood you're supposed to provide documentation of where you got it. I thought perhaps not allowing any wood IN on check-in might be a better, practical system but I was misleading on my first response in that they will allow wood in if it is within a certain radius.

I was thinking about the other potential issue and that's people TAKING wood from campgrounds. Not all that wood they sell is treated so people could be transporting this way because they don't want to leave wood behind. Honestly they shouldn't let you, but I know no where I've stayed even mentioned this let alone check vehicles.

So anyway, I think this really reinforces the only real way to control this is via the campground. Like TCD says, if they sell treated wood and you can only get their wood, then even if you take it, it should be no issue elsewhere.

Once the wood is burned, yeah it's not going to spread EAB. It's the time in between when it is sitting on the ground or in your car that the eggs or larvae could escape in a new place.

Comment

I haven't actually seen any emerald ash borers with my own eyes, but I have noticed most ash trees in the southern Adirondacks are dead or dying. For the last 5 years or so, if I notice an ash tree, its either dead or sick. I assume it's due to the bugs, but can't be sure. Dec puts out those purple triangle sticky traps, seems like somewhere they would have data on where they have found ash borer specimens.

Comment

Originally posted by forgedin78 View Post
            I haven't actually seen any emerald ash borers with my own eyes, but I have noticed most ash trees in the southern Adirondacks are dead or dying. For the last 5 years or so, if I notice an ash tree, its either dead or sick. I assume it's due to the bugs, but can't be sure. Dec puts out those purple triangle sticky traps, seems like somewhere they would have data on where they have found ash borer specimens.
            I have never seen the actual insect either. What you’ll probably see is holes all over the trunk of tree if you look close. I’ve seen pictures of the bark peeled back and the larvae bore all sorts of channels under there which I assume eventually girdles the tree.

I’d assume if they are in the southern Adirondacks then we’re pretty well smoked. Not much Ash density elsewhere in the park.

Comment

Wen we were in Calkins brook a couple weeks ago the guy I hike with is a logger . He stopped an was looking at something an I came over an he said you know what that is ? I did They are in there I've seen them around my land here in the Southern tier,

Comment

Originally posted by Cold River Bob View Post
                another way they are spreading is from the log tucks taking ash to the mills.
                Yes , it's a messy business, then after unloading the logs they get run through a debarker and everything goes flying and the log truck goes back down the road bouncing debris off the frame rails.
                I don't remember what thread it was but this was discussed on here years ago when the EAB firewood rules first took affect.
                The 50 mile radius for firewood could be seen as an effective way of spreading the problem , in one hour you could move the problem from Utica to Old Forge , just as an example.

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                  The gypsies are consuming the Basswoods in my woods, also Apple.
                  Oswego County: GMs are going after oak, maple, aspen, birch, alder, and beech. Some sections of woods have taken a beating. It's also very dry and hot, so I imagine defoliated trees and shrubs are really stressed

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
                    Yes , it's a messy business, then after unloading the logs they get run through a debarker and everything goes flying and the log truck goes back down the road bouncing debris off the frame rails.
                    I don't remember what thread it was but this was discussed on here years ago when the EAB firewood rules first took affect.
                    The 50 mile radius for firewood could be seen as an effective way of spreading the problem , in one hour you could move the problem from Utica to Old Forge , just as an example.
                    Most state DEC's figure that if it is in the state already then it's too late to prevent it from starting but hopefully they can "contain" it within fifty mile radius. The purple bag traps tell them where the invasive species are. I sell kiln dried wood at a very reasonable price by selling thousands of bundles and they retail it for around $6.50 to $7.00 a bundle. My wood gets at least 250 degrees f for 30 some hours where kiln treated wood is only heated enough to kill the larvae. My friend in the Southern Tier sells "Bundle of Warmth" and used to supply all the Lowes stores east of the Mississippi. He was one of the first in the country to bear the USDA stamp and reg.number. Kiln dried wood has many advantages which I am not going to "bore" you with here. But the EAB has decimated the ash wood business in this country. Sad.
                    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I just observed the cutting of several large ash trees. These trees failed to leaf-out in 2019, were 81 years old and 38, 40, 42 inches in diameter. other than no leaves they looked ok. when they hit the rocky ground 100% of the bark literally exploded off them. we won't take any of that fire wood anywhere.

Comment

Took a ride around Seneca Lake area yesterday. Lots of bug damage, looked like early spring with few leaves on many trees. My property in Yates County is taking a pounding...EAB and GMs.
                        Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                        Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

The first confirmed EAB infestation inside the blue line was found just down the road from me last summer, in the town of Chester. A state DOT worker noticed the damaged trees at the Warren County Canoe Launch on the Schroon River and contacted the DEC, which confirmed the infestation. Based on the extent of the damage, they estimated the EAB had been in the area for a few years already. They didn't even both treating or removing the trees, because they figured it had been here too long and already spread.

State Department of Transportation staff found an infestation of the invasive Emerald Ash borer in Chester near the Schroon River.

Comment

In 2006, there was an awful tent caterpillar infestation in the area. I think the infestation was in early summer. By August, the caterpillars were gone and the trees re-leafed, but the second leafing was quite weak. I took my boys for a hike up Bear Mountain near Cranberry Lake. The re-leafed trees were an odd sight. Here you can see the weak leaves of the trees on Bear Mountain (overlooking Cranberry Lake's Dead Creek Flow in the background).
                            DSCN3669.jpg

Infestations like this have happened in the past and the trees have adapted to handle them.

Comment

"Infestations like this have happened in the past and the trees have adapted to handle them."
                              Ash trees do not "handle" the EAB invasive species, they just die and do not return. I suggest you read up on invasive species in this country. They are causing billions of lost dollars to the lumber industry, and becoming a headache to many residential communities within the park and through out the US.
                              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Local park here is doing preemptive cutting of all ash trees. I bet 1/4 of the trees in the park are 2+ foot dbh ash. It sure will look different when they are gone

Comment

Working...
                                X