No announcement yet.

Whitney Property for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So psyched about this - the state should get it via the Nature Conservancy. Just wish the state had a budget to remove all of the hunting camps just left behind to be an eyesore for a few hundred years. Guy may not want to sell to the state but if he's decent and wants what's best for it he'll fold. And I wouldn't worry about how the state or the public will adversely effect the land - there aren't enough peaks to bag to bring in the crowds...this will be a place for people that appreciate being out in the wilderness and will respect the land...except for a few bad apples, which nobody has any control over. All things considered it's the best option out of no perfect options. Let's finish this Adirondack puzzle! Anything about too be available in the furthest northern reaches of the park? That area seems to be lacking a major parcel of wilderness or wild forest.

Comment

I kind of like the owners feelings and desire whether I get to visit or not.

Comment

I think he's a complete fake and a little rich boy who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
          I think he's a complete fake and a little rich boy who thinks he's better than everyone else.
          Or maybe he just concerned and has seen what the state and public have done to some of the parcels they have already gotten and trashed.

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
            Or maybe he just concerned and has seen what the state and public have done to some of the parcels they have already gotten and trashed.
            Is that why he married a woman twice his age and put it up for sale as soon as she died?

Comment

Is that why he married a woman twice his age and put it up for sale as soon as she died?
              It was just a year later, I would guess , that like his wife, he didn't come from old money. That 100 million that the estate WAS worth, is just that, WAS...
              Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
              Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

I'd imagine Mrs Whitney had some say in who married her and why and what would happen to her property etc.

Comment

And I think you've got quite a bit of nerve in impugning someone you know nothing about.

Sounds like a bit of class envy to me.................
                  Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                    And I think you've got quite a bit of nerve in impugning someone you know nothing about.

Sounds like a bit of class envy to me.................
                    Perhaps you should spend your energy defending those that need defending. I'm sure if I've slandered Mr. Whitney in any way, he can afford an attorney and doesn't need your services pro bono.

Comment

It is fascinating to see how the faceless Internet makes warriors out of people like you to attack people you don't even know. Psychologists could have a field day studying the phenomena.
                      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Fact of the matter is he never had to make any of this public, he never had to announce to everyone that he wouldn't sell it to the state, he never had to say or do anything. He opened himself up to public opinion by putting all this out there, and from what I've read about his past, what I think of people who marry a wealthy, older person, and what he's said in recent interviews - I don't like him. I don't trust him, I think he thinks he's better than John Q. Public (which he may very be), and I think his timing and publicity on this whole thing speaks volumes to who he is.

I'm not saying I'm great or right, but if I would have inherited this I would have given it over to the forest preserve, no questions asked and I would have explicitly asked for it not to be publicized. I wouldn't have asked for a dime in return.

But that's me - and how I view things. I'm obviously going to have a negative view of him (which is my right, and I wouldn't be ashamed enough of it to say it to his face -- not that he would care).

I guess it's my fundamental belief that land doesn't belong to anyone, you simply borrow it for a certain time. I'd have no use for that much land for my life. I'd have no use for 180 million dollars.

And if you think I'm crazy, many have left their estates to ny state in their will. It's not unreasonable.
                        Last edited by montcalm; 08-23-2020, 11:00 PM.

Comment

The mansion is warm, at the top of the hill
                          Rich are the rooms and the comforts there
                          Red are the arms of luxuriant chairs
                          And you won't know a thing till you get inside

Comment

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I guess it's my fundamental belief that land doesn't belong to anyone, you simply borrow it for a certain time. I'd have no use for that much land for my life. I'd have no use for 180 million dollars.

And if you think I'm crazy, many have left their estates to ny state in their will. It's not unreasonable.

You are not simply borrowing it, you are leasing it from the County, Town and school district. But as long as you pay your annual lease, school , county, Town tax, you call the shots within the boundaries of local laws.

Do not pay your property taxes for 3 years and see what happens.

My guess is the Nature Conservancy will purchase the property, sell a Conservation easement to the state securing certain rights to the public. Then TNC will sell it to a TIMO, timber investment management Organization, and most of the property will remain private property, and a working forest. The easement will protect certain camps and other improvements, and others will be torn down. Any hunt clubs will lose their exclusivity, but be able to lease their existing camps and a small envelope surrounding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
                              You are not simply borrowing it, you are leasing it from the County, Town and school district. But as long as you pay your annual lease, school , county, Town tax, you call the shots within the boundaries of local laws.

Do not pay your property taxes for 3 years and see what happens.
                              I understand how our structure works - I think you missed my point

But in essence, who do we really lease the land from? Who is the county?

And I saw it incorrectly stated earlier that towns and school districts lose this revenue if the state owns the land, that is not the case.

From an environmental standpoint, if you think that this land will be better off as working forest rather than forest preserve, I think you really ought to step off of Tug Hill and look at our national, and global situation.
                              Last edited by montcalm; 08-24-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post

My guess is the Nature Conservancy will purchase the property, sell a Conservation easement to the state securing certain rights to the public. Then TNC will sell it to a TIMO, timber investment management Organization, and most of the property will remain private property, and a working forest. The easement will protect certain camps and other improvements, and others will be torn down. Any hunt clubs will lose their exclusivity, but be able to lease their existing camps and a small envelope surrounding it.
                                Wow, history repeats itself! Deja vu!! Where have I seen this before? Gooley Club? Walden pond! LOL
                                I hope they get the money together.
                                Last edited by chairrock; 08-24-2020, 10:51 AM.
                                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Working...
                                X