No announcement yet.

Whitney Property for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
      Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.
      I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
        Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.
        Lol. Didn't they want to put a hotel and cabins on the lake before the state bought it?

This Hendrickson guy is a complete slimebag. He has no vested interest in anything to do with that land except to make money off it.
        Last edited by montcalm; 07-31-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
          I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it
          Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
            Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.
            I think that’s pretty well said. I know it’s easy to complain about the DEC but I think they do a pretty darn good job considering the diverse nature of the Adirondacks. What other states do a better job of managing their wilderness areas in people’s opinion? And how do they do better than our state?
            Last edited by ILikeRocks; 07-31-2020, 06:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by ILikeRocks View Post
              I think that’s pretty well said. I know it’s easy to complain about the DEC but I think they do a pretty darn good job considering the diverse nature of the Adirondacks. What other states do a better job of managing their wilderness areas in people’s opinion? And how do they do better than our state?
              They all have the same problems.

Mostly poop, litter and erosion. Invasive species are problems everywhere.

To think that any of these lands are pristine is absolutely crazy. There are VERY few undisturbed areas in the park, and most of them the state owns and most of them so remote, and trailess that no one goes there.

To think that a few dots on the map of litter that you can see somehow negates the tons that are buried under the forest and that somehow means the public is not fit to use the land is the most ridiculous argument I've heard. To think many of these same people drive Ford/Chevy/Chrysler products which contributed to more sterilized lakes in the Adirondacks than all other human interactions combined. To think that a few pieces of litter by careless individuals means that we should shut the entire lot down and give it to the rich from foreign countries is the most backwards thinking I've ever read.

To disregard the fact that ecologically, the Adirondacks are probably the best they have been in the last 100-120 years to point out ticky tack things like trail erosion, sapling cutting and illegal campfires is really not seeing the forest from the trees.

As long as humans use the lands, there will be impacts. The fact is the recreation we do today is so much less impact than logging, mining and tanning had in the past. Some lakes are so poisoned from that era they will NEVER recover. They MIGHT if we have another ice age, but even that's not certain. People camping and fishing didn't do this. The people of the generation who owned great camps did this. Don't forget that. EVER.

If you want to make a difference go carry an empty pack and clean up some lean tos. Build some more sustainable trails. Build some latrines. Help relocate campsites. It won't "save" the Adirondacks. It doesn't need saving, but it will make it a nicer experience for everyone else.
              Last edited by montcalm; 07-31-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TrailBlaser View Post
                I hope you find peace in Florida and enjoy yourself there. Best of luck.
                Thanks! Actually, I'm perfectly at peace here in the Adirondacks. I'm retired, I live in the mountains, I've finished the NP and two rounds of the 46, so I don't really have any "list hiking" to do. I just go where I want, mostly bushwhacking with map and compass.

My energy for these land management issues is not for myself, but for newcomers, and for our local economy.

Right now, skiing and ice climbing are big winter pursuits for us. But my wife and I can see a time in the future when we will be old enough that we will not want to manage being here all winter. So when that time comes, it's probably Florida, only because the family is there. I don't really like Florida (I lived there for a few years in the 70s) but it's warm, and at some point, that will become a priority.

Comment

Thanks! Actually, I'm perfectly at peace here in the Adirondacks. I'm retired, I live in the mountains, I've finished the NP and two rounds of the 46, so I don't really have any "list hiking" to do. I just go where I want, mostly bushwhacking with map and compass.

My energy for these land management issues is not for myself, but for newcomers, and for our local economy.

Right now, skiing and ice climbing are big winter pursuits for us. But my wife and I can see a time in the future when we will be old enough that we will not want to manage being here all winter. So when that time comes, it's probably Florida, only because the family is there. I don't really like Florida (I lived there for a few years in the 70s) but it's warm, and at some point, that will become a priority.

So umm do you bushwhack, ski and climb on Jack Ma's land, or on the forest preserve?

It's really odd to me so many people on this forum voice this opinion, like you do, but then don't think twice about using the what the state has offered you.

And if you (partially) own it, then you should take responsibility and get out there and help correct the issues you don't like instead of blindly blaming the DEC and the Governor. That whole attitude seems pretty myopic.

Comment

On the Forest Preserve. There's plenty of it. And in bushwhacking, you don't usually run into the damage that you see in the heavily promoted trailed areas.

And believe me, I greatly value what we have here. I do a lot of trail maintenance, as well, and work with L2R, and do other work with the DEC. And I advocate for this area with my government representatives. So I think you are mis-characterizing me.

I think you have the wrong impression. I don't reach my conclusions "blindly." I reach these conclusions based on what I see as a local, who works hard to try to make the place better. And a lot of folks here recognize that Albany needs to do a better job, instead of blindly trusting the governor.

Comment

On the Forest Preserve. There's plenty of it. And in bushwhacking, you don't usually run into the damage that you see in the heavily promoted trailed areas.

And believe me, I greatly value what we have here. I do a lot of trail maintenance, as well, and work with L2R, and do other work with the DEC. And I advocate for this area with my government representatives. So I think you are mis-characterizing me.

I think you have the wrong impression. I don't reach my conclusions "blindly." I reach these conclusions based on what I see as a local, who works hard to try to make the place better. And a lot of folks here recognize that Albany needs to do a better job, instead of blindly trusting the governor.

Your first post was VERY myopic - "MY MONEY being spent to turn it into a mud pit". Kind of severe, don't ya think? Sounds like Fox News to me.

Your opinion of how much forest preserve is too much or too little has little meaning in this context. You support privatization and foreigners buying lands that do not belong to us, never did, but lands we claimed and took. I support the lands being free and open to the public, however that may happen. In reality we only borrow, and if it comes down to trusting septuagenarian white men, I think we've seen that usually doesn't lead us down a good road for conservation... they've had their chance throughout the ages and ruined it good.

So again, you admit that any damage that occurs is limited to the less than 1%, by area, of the forest preserve that is trail, campsite or other medium to high usage area. So the other 99% is preserved as well as it can be.

The DEC, for whatever their faults may be, employ people that know more about forest management and ecology than you are could ever hope to. They extensively catalog and inventory all use through he UMPs, and that information is made public. They are extremely conservative in allowing new development in any sense, sometimes to a fault, but their interest is in conservation, and not recreation.

Part of being a part of public land ownership is assuming stewardship yourself, and being a good steward, because not all will. Those that aren't should be publicly shamed and punished, in my opinion, but that isn't always the case. Our government is very lenient and focuses on education instead of severe punishment. This works and is proper for some things, but for stuff that is common sense i.e. littering, destruction of public property, etc, it shouldn't be, IMO... but I play the cards I'm dealt in this sense and see far more good from the forest preserve than detriment.

Comment

Sounds great. I am two years away from retirement and looking forward to having more time to spend in the ADKs. We had thought about moving south after retirement but for a variety of reasons got turned off to it. Our plan is to stay put in NY but probably downsize and/or relocate within the state at some point.
                        "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                        - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Wht couldn't a private entity buy it and open some of the land up for quality outdoor recreation? Pay to play for day use and camping. Also, pay a deposit - if you don't follow their rules, like leaving campsites full of trash, you don't get the deposit back. Also, the owner could get fees from non-residents. That doesn't happen on state owned lands. The owners could regulate the number of users on a given day, which would help keep impacts to a minimum. All improvements would have to be reviewed and approved by the APA, so environmental impact should be kept to an acceptable level. There would be no tax burden for NYS residents. The town wouldn't lose those property taxes. There would be sales tax and property tax revenue. Seems like it's doable if the owner was inclined for that type of venture

Comment

I like it.
                            Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
                              Wht couldn't a private entity buy it and open some of the land up for quality outdoor recreation? Pay to play for day use and camping. Also, pay a deposit - if you don't follow their rules, like leaving campsites full of trash, you don't get the deposit back. Also, the owner could get fees from non-residents. That doesn't happen on state owned lands. The owners could regulate the number of users on a given day, which would help keep impacts to a minimum. All improvements would have to be reviewed and approved by the APA, so environmental impact should be kept to an acceptable level. There would be no tax burden for NYS residents. The town wouldn't lose those property taxes. There would be sales tax and property tax revenue. Seems like it's doable if the owner was inclined for that type of venture
                              Sounds like a great idea, running some sort of not for profit that works with land management In mind. I wonder about operating costs and how much usage fees would entail. Insurance is the first that comes to mind, but then there are many other functions the DEC performs that would become part of an operating budget.

Comment

My guess is that folks who have 180 million on hand would probably rather keep the riff-raff out than try to manage them (or should I say us) and promote good behavior. I'll be interested to see what happens to the tract, I can see some validity in the arguments of both sides of the public vs private debate. I do think that in general more state ownership is a good thing, and that it would be really good to have more DEC personnel or volunteers keeping an eye on and taking care of things. I hope to become one of those volunteers after I move to the area in a year or two.
                                Zach

Comment

Working...
                                X