Whitney Property for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitney Property for sale

Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Paging Jack Ma...

Comment

I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
        I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.
        You really need to leave this state.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiker801 View Post
          Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...million-141618
          Looks like her (much junior) husband didn't love it as much as she did

Comment

I'm not a New Yorker, but spread out across all the private and corporate tax payers it doesn't seem like it would cost one individual a lot for a lot of opened up recreational possibilities. If I lived in NY, I'd say buy it for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
              You really need to leave this state.
              Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.

Comment

Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.
                I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.

Comment

I'd like one of the guide boats please.

Comment

PS If the state DID buy - I'd be happy if Jack Ma came and used it as the rest of us plebeians would.

Comment

$3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.
                      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                        I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.
                        Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.

Comment

I hope you find peace in Florida and enjoy yourself there. Best of luck.
                          "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                          - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

The state is broke but it has not stopped it from reckless spending. Recent press releases in my area shows the DEC purchased a $16,400 ROW across 2800’ of private land. What the press release didn’t tell the readers, is, the reason for purchasing this ROW is to build a million dollar (?) Bridge for the snowmobilers. Just wait and see, all this bridge access is going to do is open this easement land up to illegal ATV traffic.

NYS has not proven they are able to properly manage the land and easements they already have. They should do that before purchasing more property.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                              $3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.
                              This sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. I have zero interest in the buildings. If the cabin has real historic or educational value it should be packed up and moved to the museum.
                              Last edited by montcalm; 07-31-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X