A tree falls into the lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tree falls into the lake....

Lost a very large old pine that had been hit by lightning back in 1985. Had been leaning badly, (almost 30 degree angle) since. Snow ice and wind knocked it and two others on a property to the south into the lake.

I already have two down from prior to my purchase, been like that for years. Makes for great fishing for everyone else on the lake. Only difference is that it fell into an area that is quite narrow.

It is a section where it is less than 100' to shore yet the jet skis and water skiers still blast through as fast as they want vs the 5mph per DEC regs.

My first inclination is to remove it and be a good "neighbor", but keeping it there would sure put a cramp into the speeds traveled through the cut.

I really don't mid the noise, part of the "charm" of living on a populated lake, but the erosion is becoming troubling. Still, it is an esker and will probably be another few thousand years before it gets to the point where it is an issue

I've googled, can't finds anything. Head of our Protective Association calls it a "hazard" to navigation.

Guess the question is, am I required by law to remove? Got a call into the APA as the APA Shoreline Restrictions are moot on it.
    I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
    JerseyHighlander 2-2015

think its now in a grey area, apa legal blackhole
    while it came from your property once in the water, its now the states property
    while you may have the best intentions, think removing it from the water puts you at legal risk,
    personally would consult with various state agencies, including local rangers

Comment

This calls for waiting.

If you don't want to remove, wait until you are ordered to.

If you do want to remove, wait until you have a documented permit.

Comment

If your oar fell into the water you would retrieve it. It is still your tree. If it benefits you leaving it there you have nothing to do. If you want the firewood skid or winch it out. Nobody is going to care much which ever you decide.
        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
          If your oar fell into the water you would retrieve it. It is still your tree. If it benefits you leaving it there you have nothing to do. If you want the firewood skid or winch it out. Nobody is going to care much which ever you decide.
          Actually it would really hamper the maniacs who zoom through the 80' section at over 30 mph.
          I sometimes put a wool hat or mitt over my nose, across my face, but not to cover my nostrils, just to keep my nose warm. You have to pay the piper somewhere for this kind of fun
          JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

Originally posted by rachelsdad View Post
            Actually it would really hamper the maniacs who zoom through the 80' section at over 30 mph.
            I'd drop even more trees in that case. I just bought property to build a camp on a motorless lake just for that reason, so I can paddle my canoe and enjoy the landscape in quiet peace.
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

We fell in love with the place about 10 years ago. Back then it was mostly floating decks but there are a few very high powered jet skis and renters are bringing in their own as well. It has changed a bit. And rules of the road apparently are not taught for your boating license...oh wait, don't need one in NY...

Once my wife mentioned the commotion at the sand bar. I said if you want solitude on an Adirondack lake you best strap on a back pack.
              JerseyHighlander 2-2015

Comment

"Actually it would really hamper the maniacs who zoom through the 80' section at over 30 mph"

30 mph? Some can go 80 mph. That could tend to make one lose their serenity. Some lakes have an hour restriction on PWC. Perhaps ask your representative to look into that. These fellow water enthusiasts can get on your nerves. If there is another tree close by, don't cut it, and don't scar the tree. Get a sizable vehicle to gently push it over into the pass. But you didn't hear it from me. Good luck.
                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                X