No announcement yet.

More forest rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not start using a permit system for parking, hiking etc. The income would help pay to hire more of the rangers. Also start charging for the rescue of lost /unprepared people. Every time they go out to rescue someone the cost is amazing. Hiking insurance would be fairly inexpensive. Hike the White Mts. in NH and it is required.

Comment

The page you have requested is not available or no longer exists. Please return to the home page. 

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
        Why not start using a permit system for parking, hiking etc. The income would help pay to hire more of the rangers. Also start charging for the rescue of lost /unprepared people. Every time they go out to rescue someone the cost is amazing. Hiking insurance would be fairly inexpensive. Hike the White Mts. in NH and it is required.
        The solution is always more financial burden on the average Joe. How about renegotiating the lucrative benefits packages of the rangers?

Comment

One of the things i like about ny is easy access to outdoors
          Very few permits/fees compared to other states
          I wouldnt get out any where near as much as i do if i had to worry about permits every time i wanted to go out
          Pa has strict permit requirements i rather drive 4-5 hrs to ny than deal with pa permits
          You mention primitive camping to a pa ranger and they are ready to arrest you

Comment

Everybody always wants something for nothing I guess

Comment

... Hike the White Mts. in NH and it is required.
              It's not required. It's voluntary. Even says so in the link you provided. "Buy your voluntary Hike Safe card ..."
              Looking for views!

Comment

I pay over $300 a year in various fees/permits/tags/licenses
                Not exactly something for nothing
                How much more do you think i should pay to enjoy the outdoors?

Comment

If that wasn't true, would we have the country we live in today?

The problem with fees and taxes is that they go to the bureaucrats who choose how to spend it... and if you've read the Times recently you'd almost certainly think you could get more for your hard earned buck.

It's not just the money, it's also priorities in albany and having reasonable assurance that money raised will go toward the intended purpose.
                  Take the bottle and can deposit, which was supposed to go to EPF but only ~23M out of ~103M goes in EPF the rest is 'general' revenue...
                  Last edited by timberghost; 01-21-2018, 09:52 PM. Reason: Bottle deposit #'s fix & reference link
                  Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

I don't know what your particular financial situation is nor do I care. Some of us are paying a TON of NYS income taxes which is supposed to fund state operations. These taxes are fiduciary money and should be spent wisely.

I "contribute" way too much to the NYS coffers as it is and don't want to pay a penny more. How about we get concessions from the government to reduce their spending rather than neverendingly increase ours?

Comment

As a private Consultant Forester who has worked directly for 10 years with DEC Forest Rangers who are the principle law enforcement agency on the private land that we manage. (Rangers are involved because of the Conservation Easment on the property.)
                      It is my observation that I really don’t know what they do to earn their pay ?

Comment

If you don't know what Forest Rangers do, the NYSDEC will send you frequent press releases, including recent Ranger activity, and any number of other relevant topics that you choose. Sign up on the NYSDEC web page.
                        See: http://www.dec.ny.gov/public/65855.html

I was recently involved in a 2+ week SAR incident on WallFace, working with dozens of Rangers every day. Just before Christmas I worked with a similar number searching for a lost hunter near Cooperstown.
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I know on occasion they help search and rescue unprepared hikers in the High Peaks and lost unprepared hunters.

Given the new Fed tax bill, and Cuomo’s 4 billion dollar budget deficit, he will need to start cutting government expenditures instead of raising taxes to pay for more Rangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
                            I know on occasion they help search and rescue unprepared hikers in the High Peaks and lost unprepared hunters.
                            Their duties and accomplishments are a bit more involved than that:

"Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
                              As a private Consultant Forester who has worked directly for 10 years with DEC Forest Rangers who are the principle law enforcement agency on the private land that we manage. (Rangers are involved because of the Conservation Easment on the property.)
                              It is my observation that I really don’t know what they do to earn their pay ?
                              I don't blame you, since you rarely if ever see SFRs, especially when you need them to deal with a problem you have.
                              However, you have to realize that law enforcement is the primary function of ECOs and not all SFRs are ECOs. Further, all SFRs are stretched so thin that handling a complaint from a Forester on an easement (likely in the middle of nowhere) probably does not make the top priority list.
                              Unfortunately, these days Rangers rarely make it beyond the end of that top priority list...
                              Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Originally posted by timberghost View Post
                                I don't blame you, since you rarely if ever see SFRs, especially when you need them to deal with a problem you have.
                                However, you have to realize that law enforcement is the primary function of ECOs and not all SFRs are ECOs. Further, all SFRs are stretched so thin that handling a complaint from a Forester on an easement (likely in the middle of nowhere) probably does not make the top priority list.
                                Unfortunately, these days Rangers rarely make it beyond the end of that top priority list...
                                For a decade we’ve been told by the DEC that on easement lands, outside of a wildlife violation, the FR.’s are the principle law enforcement agency we have to deal with. If they are in fact spread so thin, and easement land is not top priority, maybe the state should stop entering in these conservation easement agreements ? since NYS has trouble living up to their side of the agreements ?

Comment

Working...
                                X