No announcement yet.

Stashed boats=garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my troop carries out trash from Goodluck Lake, would it remotely possible to arrange a trash pickup off of the trailhead? I've yet to speak with local ranger ( on my todo list). I don't believe there are any trashed boats there, but I did not explore the entire lake front on my spring break.

We intend to explore the Silver Lake Wilderness and this would be a good community service project in my mind. Suggestions for alternatives are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
      Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...
      We have a camp on north lake and spend a ton of time up there. I've never come across a stashed canoe. We have a row boat and a canoe chained to the tree on our property by our firepit on the water. (posted signs are very clear). We've had problems with people breaking into our camp this past year and I just pray I happen upon them while I'm there. See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.

Comment

See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.

And then you are replacing every window next fall...careful.
        A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
          See them talk their way out of the front of a 12 guage will be fun.

And then you are replacing every window next fall...careful.
          I am not necessarily following this... are you saying you wouldn't hold a burglar/robber until the authorities arrived?

What would you do, give them a stern talking to?

When I was a kid there were some unscrupulous characters sawing down trees right by the end of our driveway off the main road (right next to the posted sign and the state line marker). I recall my dad hopping in the truck and driving up there to see what was going on. When they saw the rifle - they took off up the road. The authorities were notified and the guys were later caught cutting trees on state land and dealt with.

They haven't been back breaking every window or cutting all the trees down.

Neither have the "kids" that were caught after breaking into our camp a few years ago.
          Last edited by sp_nyp; 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I mistook the breaking in comment as referring to the thread of stashed boats. i.e. someone was taking your boats out.

Regardless, menacing someone with a gun is generally my final option. If I felt my safety was in danger, yes. But to chase away kids or people hunting on posted land I would not.

Would you shoot them if they tried to run ?
            A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

first let me apologize for the thread drift.

PQ - I agree with you, it it is a final option.

Would I shoot them if they ran? No, not if they weren't a threat to anyone's safety.

I think these are some of the first rules I learned in regard to firearm safety

- Treat every weapon as if it was loaded.
              - Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
              - Keep your weapon on safe, until you intend to fire.
              - Keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire.

You can see flagrant violations of this rule in videos (tv reality, news, home video) of law enforcement officers. Drawing their weapons and pointing them at people that pose no immediate threat. I am not saying all law enforcement do this - just that it happens ... and that it happens in a public forum.

I should clarify this as well - my father never aimed the rifle at anyone... it was just visible in his truck - and he didn't chase or shoot after them. They just fled and the authorities were alerted.

Comment

Well i should apologize for commenting instead of reading through..guilty as charged lol.

Comment

I wouldnt ever shoot anyone either but the mere sight of a firearm is a great persuader. Our boats are stored near the shore of the lake and our camp is up the trail from the boats. People get curious and one thing leads to another.............

Comment

Thread resurrection alert!!

It's been a few years since this thread was started. Back then I didn't often find myself wandering in to backcountry ponds. Recently however Cedarvale and I have rekindled our love of paddling and have been wandering about looking for tranquil places to enjoy. Including some ponds.

Finding boats? Oh yeah. Loving finding them? Nope. Tolerating finding them? Nope. They've gotta go. Cedarvale and I aren't putting in miles with canoes on our backs to look at large hulks of shiny aluminum trash.

My position on this hasn't changed since I posted on this thread a few years back, but now that I'm seeing these eyesores again my desire to actually DO something about it has. All we've been able to do so far is dismantle one makeshift campsite with lots of litter around it and an old fire pit that must've fortunately been used only when the duff was very very wet. The fire pit has been filled, the trash has been hauled out, and the campsite has been brushed in. But the boats on that particular pond are still there... for now.

Perhaps someone has done this already and the info is available on the forum somewhere, but I will be contacting some DEC folks I know to see if there is anything that WE, the owners of the property on which these boats/trash have been illegally dumped, can do about it.

Times change and people need to embrace, or at least accept, that change. I was party to leaving a boat on a pond a few decades ago. That boat was used many times before life events steered me away from fishing for awhile. The boat was still there a few years ago when I visited the pond. I am ashamed to say that I've yet to haul it out. I'll be dealing with it soon.
                    Scooting here and there
                    Through the woods and up the peaks
                    Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

• I always found it a shame that there's never any nice boats in the woods...only those leaky canoes/aluminum monstrosities.

I'd be willing to haul a nicer boat out and "clean up" the woods.
                      mike

Comment

• I don’t quite follow the reasoning. Rules yes, application no.
                        If I were to paddle to a lake and decide to take a hike, could I return hours later to find my canoe borrowed, or worse?
                        Should I lock it to prevent someone from borrowing it, or should I risk it, just in case someone is offended with my locking it? How long might someone decide to borrow my canoe, and why should I be okay with that? How can you reasonably tell if a canoe has been recently cached vs recently stashed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Odyssey View Post
                          I don’t quite follow the reasoning. Rules yes, application no.
                          If I were to paddle to a lake and decide to take a hike, could I return hours later to find my canoe borrowed, or worse?
                          Should I lock it to prevent someone from borrowing it, or should I risk it, just in case someone is offended with my locking it? How long might someone decide to borrow my canoe, and why should I be okay with that? How can you reasonably tell if a canoe has been recently cached vs recently stashed?

Well if its dented, rotted gunnels and seats, full of holes or banged in, chances are its abandoned, not stashed. A similar conclusion could be drawn if you come across the 10,000 or so aluminum prams with rotted transoms on remote lakes.
                          Last edited by Glen; 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
                          “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                          ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

• If the vegetation under the boat is dead and rotting away, the boat/canoe was not stashed/cached in the last couple of weeks.. (ants, rodents, and other critters are indicative of stashed boats also)
                            Most stashed craft will have no paddles and PFDs or the condition of said items will be questionable to unusable.

If you're concerned, leave a note with the canoe (something like left on such date to go for a hike, will retrieve it before..) that way no one can claim ignorance/mistake.
                            Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

• I wasn't aware of this thread when it started a few years back. I find it very interesting to say the least.

Here is my opinion, even though it matters nothing. Finding a canoe near a pond or lake is no different than finding something like a camper's area full of equipment near a trail. For me to take it right then and there would be wrong, as it might have been left there VERY recently by someone that took a day trip. If they come back right after I remove it, then that would be a very bad scenario.

Having said that, I would think that removing items would be permissible, so long as the following is followed: Take a trip specifically for the following purpose -- go to a lake or pond in question, and "map out" where the stashed canoes/boats are. Come back in another month or so. Are they still there? If they have moved, even a few feet, then I would have to assume the best, that perhaps the person is "making another day trip" (giving them the benefit of the doubt), and I would not touch that boat. If, however, the canoe (or boat) is in the same spot, then it can be assumed with good certainty that the item has been stashed, which is illegal, and can be considered abandoned, regardless of the level of deterioration. This would then allow what are clearly abandoned (junk) ones to be removed, but also for good ones to go to law-abiding owners.

Quite frankly, this would be a great way to get a few nice kayaks or canoes without paying for them.
                              High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 29/46 (2nd); 11/46 (3rd); 7/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 1/46 (2nd)

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)

Comment

• I've never seen any stashed boats that could ever be considered nice. The many I've seen in the US and Canada I would call them either disposable or disposed boats.

Comment

Working...
                                X