Stashed boats=garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Can'tcatchtrout View Post
    Maybe someone should build a marina in one of these places....that way the boats won't look so trashy flipped over and chained to a tree. Maybe a marina might bring more tourists- a restaurant, motel,.... it could be a real novelty that could lead to some great economic development......
    Except that the issue here is that these boats are being stored on forest preserve land, where development isn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by ripz182 View Post
      Rather than change the way things have been in the Adirondacks for generations; maybe one should try the Catskills. You'll find lots of rules and Rangers for your comfort. We are losing our property to high yuppie house prices now you want to take our ponds too.
      ripz182,

You sound like a troll but I'll put my two cents in anyway. State land belongs to all of us. I would venture to say that the license fees and general taxes paid by people outside the blue line help to pay for much of the fisheries and forestry management within the blue line. It doesn't make us any better, just equally worthy. As far as being "your ponds", that kind of says it all. You sound like the type that will trash a trout pond with perch once your "done" with it. If abandoned boat hulks are part of your Adirondack tradition, I make a motion that we change that tradition now.

Glen
      “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
      ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
        ripz182,

You sound like a troll but I'll put my two cents in anyway. State land belongs to all of us. I would venture to say that the license fees and general taxes paid by people outside the blue line help to pay for much of the fisheries and forestry management within the blue line. It doesn't make us any better, just equally worthy. As far as being "your ponds", that kind of says it all. You sound like the type that will trash a trout pond with perch once your "done" with it. If abandoned boat hulks are part of your Adirondack tradition, I make a motion that we change that tradition now.

Glen
        Nicely said Glen

Comment

Sorry to be ignorant...but for years my friend and I have been meeting up in Utica at his childhood home and then camping out at a "secret" spot as we like to call it. That spot has always had a few boats that have been there for years...always the same boats. There is even a NYS sign that says to tie the boats up if the water is high. I was always under the impression that the boats were put there by NY State to take for ones use and to return to the location after. I have a small Minn Kotta Traxxis that I take with us to run the boat around the lake to do some fishing. We always have the greatest time. The lake is always so quite and the fishing is great. We camp out and then return the boat back to its location on the way out.

I love the Adks but dont have the ability to make weekly or even monthly trips up there, so I am not so familiar with what goes on there. Do other people use the boats like we do? We are not meaning to do any harm to the land, but only to enjoy it.

Comment

Carry on as you always have there are much worse problems in the Adirondacks than a few boats on lake shores...IMHO

Originally posted by dssguy99 View Post
            We are not meaning to do any harm to the land, but only to enjoy it.

Comment

The thread started out simply trashed boat = garbage I think we all agree that trashed boats are garbage. Then the thread evolved into there are Rules, Rules that MUST be followed and I will rat you out and publish the locations of the stashed boats on the web because it doesn’t conform to the Rules and thier vision of the Adirondacks. Why are hidden boats such a concern when there is no outrage over the acres of Adirondack forest that is removed each year for huge lawns for new homes?
              Before the ultralight boats folks were grateful to have a pond boat to use. Now it seems to upsets some boater’s expectations that they do not a pond to themselves and have to share it with a troll in a pond boat. I am recently retired and my expectation is to use the pond boats that we have had in the ponds, in one form or another, for generations and I don’t mind sharing the water, even with ingrates.
              In my defense, since you attacked: My grandfather was an Adirondack guide and taught us forest stewardship, do no harm, remove all our trash as well as that of others. We have always been respected the land and carried out all our trash as well all that others left behind.
              It was predictable that someone would respond with an insult about locals; they are trolls, trash the woods, and introduce non-native species. Where did you get the facts to support these conclusions? Are there facts or is it something made up; maybe just an opinion? I find it interesting because when we find trash or perch in the trout pond we say: those darn tourists they just don’t know any better.
              Differing opinions, touché: my opinion is you suburbanites have cut your trees, planted lawns, cleaned, sanitized, and regulated the neighborhoods to the point that one can’t tolerate being there on weekends and vacations so you go elsewhere. Having soiled their beds in suburbia and rather than learning from these mistakes they come to the Adirondacks to sanitize and regulate. Enforce the Rules. There no reason to sanitize the Adirondacks one comes here because it is wild and there is still some freedom.
              As more Rules are introduced and enforced to make the mountains conform to some tourist’s vision I can only hope someday my family doesn’t have to look back and say: Those darn tourist they just don’t know any better.

Comment

ripz182,
                Hi. I don't know why things get out of kilter. People sometimes assume things & you know the saying about that. I don't have any opinion on this. But what is the thing about trout ponds & people putting perch in them after they're done? I don't live up there & have no idea what this is all about? Anybody know what the heck that is? Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ripz182 View Post
                  The thread started out simply trashed boat = garbage I think we all agree that trashed boats are garbage. Then the thread evolved into there are Rules, Rules that MUST be followed and I will rat you out and publish the locations of the stashed boats on the web because it doesn’t conform to the Rules and thier vision of the Adirondacks. Why are hidden boats such a concern when there is no outrage over the acres of Adirondack forest that is removed each year for huge lawns for new homes?
                  Before the ultralight boats folks were grateful to have a pond boat to use. Now it seems to upsets some boater’s expectations that they do not a pond to themselves and have to share it with a troll in a pond boat. I am recently retired and my expectation is to use the pond boats that we have had in the ponds, in one form or another, for generations and I don’t mind sharing the water, even with ingrates.
                  In my defense, since you attacked: My grandfather was an Adirondack guide and taught us forest stewardship, do no harm, remove all our trash as well as that of others. We have always been respected the land and carried out all our trash as well all that others left behind.
                  It was predictable that someone would respond with an insult about locals; they are trolls, trash the woods, and introduce non-native species. Where did you get the facts to support these conclusions? Are there facts or is it something made up; maybe just an opinion? I find it interesting because when we find trash or perch in the trout pond we say: those darn tourists they just don’t know any better.
                  Differing opinions, touché: my opinion is you suburbanites have cut your trees, planted lawns, cleaned, sanitized, and regulated the neighborhoods to the point that one can’t tolerate being there on weekends and vacations so you go elsewhere. Having soiled their beds in suburbia and rather than learning from these mistakes they come to the Adirondacks to sanitize and regulate. Enforce the Rules. There no reason to sanitize the Adirondacks one comes here because it is wild and there is still some freedom.
                  As more Rules are introduced and enforced to make the mountains conform to some tourist’s vision I can only hope someday my family doesn’t have to look back and say: Those darn tourist they just don’t know any better.

Before you say you were attacked, please go back and read your original post. I started this topic to honestly see how others felt about this, not to legislate or push my personal opinion. By and large it was a civil conversation with various opinions and rebuttals. Your comment about summer homes and outsiders smacks of parochialism, not to mention having nothing to do with the topic. If you want to start a separate thread about that, you might find I agree with you. Your assumptions about other people are uninformed and somewhat paranoid sounding.

Have a nice day.
                  “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
                  ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                    Before you say you were attacked, please go back and read your original post. I started this topic to honestly see how others felt about this, not to legislate or push my personal opinion. By and large it was a civil conversation with various opinions and rebuttals. Your comment about summer homes and outsiders smacks of parochialism, not to mention having nothing to do with the topic. If you want to start a separate thread about that, you might find I agree with you. Your assumptions about other people are uninformed and somewhat paranoid sounding.

Have a nice day.
                    Hahaha...yes I totally agree with you! I made the comment above about meeting up with a friend and taking a stashed boat. Maybe this thread evolved into something else, but going back...if the boat is trash and unusable it should not be there...someone should have taken it out. The place we go to has 3 usable boats that have been there for years. One boat even has been neatly welded to fix a hole in it. And actually...the pond I fish on is loaded with Perch.

Comment

I was reading in another forum and I came across this:

Some person mentions "Just a note, don't plan on a boat to use. DEC spent two months pulling them, including use of helicopter....
                      So where was that in the budget??? Heard they got between 100-200 boats. Good news is if you have the info of your you can buy it back!!!!"

Does anyone know where these 200 boats were removed from?! Thats a lot!

Comment

I was reading in another forum and I came across this:

Some person mentions "Just a note, don't plan on a boat to use. DEC spent two months pulling them, including use of helicopter....
                        So where was that in the budget??? Heard they got between 100-200 boats. Good news is if you have the info of your you can buy it back!!!!"

Does anyone know where these 200 boats were removed from?! Thats a lot!

I have heard this from a few people too. I guess it was a big push from the nature conservancy to get them out. I also heard that the boats in good condition might be auctioned off. I have no idea where or when though.

Comment

Thats a heck of a lot of boats though...and when was this done? I highly doubt this was done recently as winter would have been been a useless season to do such an opperation. As a tax payer I would expect this would have been done in the spring or summer, yet Im sure we would have heard about this.

Comment

Moderation note...

This thread eventually evolved into an interesting discussion about native brook trout and the effect fish stocking and invasive species have on them. I felt that topic deserved a thread of its own. You can find that thread here:
                            http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=13536
                            “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Thats a heck of a lot of boats though...and when was this done? I highly doubt this was done recently as winter would have been been a useless season to do such an opperation. As a tax payer I would expect this would have been done in the spring or summer, yet Im sure we would have heard about this.
                              One option for boat removal is to go out in the winter, and put all of the boats on the ice on the frozen lake/pond next to where they are stashed. It makes removal by helicopter a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                                One option for boat removal is to go out in the winter, and put all of the boats on the ice on the frozen lake/pond next to where they are stashed. It makes removal by helicopter a lot easier.
                                True...but from what I have seem many of these places may be snowed in and it would be hard to find the boats. I personally do not think a sweep of 200 boats was just done...but what do i know! I just hope the boats I use on occasion are still there...although there are many others around the lake I go to that have holes in them and should be removed.

Comment

Working...
                                X