Road salt debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road salt debate

Road salt has been used every winter in the North Country for decades. Now consensus around its use is unraveling. People are demanding that the state find a new way to keep roads safe, but so far a solution hasn’t been found. A bill to...
    Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

They put down a ridiculous amount of salt on the roads , and I think it's resulted in people driving at ridiculous speeds during the winter because they have no respect for winter conditions , even after driving past wrecks .
    Truckload after truckload of straight salt being dumped everywhere , yeah we need a commission of high salaries for several years to study if that's bad for the watershed and environment .

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
      They put down a ridiculous amount of salt on the roads , and I think it's resulted in people driving at ridiculous speeds during the winter because they have no respect for winter conditions , even after driving past wrecks .
      Truckload after truckload of straight salt being dumped everywhere , yeah we need a commission of high salaries for several years to study if that's bad for the watershed and environment .
      I agree.
      Salt isn't good for the environment or vehicles.
      One can drive fairly fast on packed snow, I'm old enough to remember, but tourists demand clean roads and higher speeds.
      Too, cinders and sand were what was used on hills and intersections.

Comment

Nothing new here. Same discussion from a couple years ago:

The article covers the same ground. It's reasonably accurate, except:

>It does disservice by trying to revise history to blame the Olympics for the use of road salt; that's simply false, and suggests some kind of political narrative.

>It states "no solutions have been found" which is not really true; the DOT is piloting various solutions already, as stated in their comment.

The logical next step would be to implement some of the existing technological solutions. As I said on the other thread, I think the taxpayers would be willing to pay for those.

(As a taxpayer, I agree that I don't want to pay for yet another do-nothing government commission, to enrich politicians' friends. But that's the way it's done in NY State. We will probably have to wait a few more years to see the implementation of solutions that are ready right now...)

Comment

Someone recently told me a story about something that happened after they salted the roads during a storm the other day. They woke up to find lick marks all over their vehicle in the morning. Turns out the deer had been around and going after the salt left over on the car.

Mobile salt lick.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
            I agree.
            Salt isn't good for the environment or vehicles.
            One can drive fairly fast on packed snow, I'm old enough to remember, but tourists demand clean roads and higher speeds.
            Too, cinders and sand were what was used on hills and intersections.
            It does a lot of damage to the roads and bridges also , it's one of those things that causes more problems than it solves.How often is salt even on the road long enough to do it's intended job before it's being scraped off and another coating put down. Scraped off into the ditches , into the creeks , and against the " Protect the Watershed " signs .

There's more than one way to spin your wheels .

Comment

Originally posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
              Someone recently told me a story about something that happened after they salted the roads during a storm the other day. They woke up to find lick marks all over their vehicle in the morning. Turns out the deer had been around and going after the salt left over on the car.

Mobile salt lick.
              In some places in Canada there are; Do Not Let The Moose Lick Your Car' signs, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
                It does a lot of damage to the roads and bridges also , it's one of those things that causes more problems than it solves.How often is salt even on the road long enough to do it's intended job before it's being scraped off and another coating put down. Scraped off into the ditches , into the creeks , and against the " Protect the Watershed " signs .

There's more than one way to spin your wheels .
                All good points backwoodsman

Comment

I can't imagine some kind of treatment going away on the major routes like the Northway (or in other parts of NY, I90, I81, etc..)

But... if one could remove its use from all other roads, I think you'd want to carry chains, and probably use them a good part of the time. Studs help, but in real icy conditions they rip right out.

And it's not the snow or packed snow that one needs to be concerned about. It's the thaw and refreeze or rain over snow and refreeze that will create sheer ice.

The other real danger that won't necessarily be mitigated by chains is black ice. Studs are your only real help for this because this kind of danger only exists sporadically, and you likely won't have your chains on when it's at its worst. And of course where you have bridges you have the issue of a seemingly clear and dry road that turns into an absolute skating rink as soon as you leave the thermal mass of the ground.

Studs and chains have major impacts on the road surface, and requires them to be resurfaced more often. In NY, this is why we have a seasonal limit for studded tires.

And somehow people seem to think 4wd or awd is the solution to their problems... but I see more of these vehicles in the ditch. Your stopping, and steering grip are a function of tires. So just because you can get going fast, doesn't mean you can control it.

Comment

I can still remember the sound of my dad's studded snow tires on the bare road when he was coming home for work. We lived on Long Island.

Comment

Comment

I knew it was bad just by looking out the window, but it turns out NY leads in salt use. Lots of factors involved: more roads, lots of lake-effect snow throughout the state, localities that rely on mines for jobs and taxes, and not least of all, a large population that needs to drive too fast, too often.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Banjoe View Post
                          I knew it was bad just by looking out the window, but it turns out NY leads in salt use. Lots of factors involved: more roads, lots of lake-effect snow throughout the state, localities that rely on mines for jobs and taxes, and not least of all, a large population that needs to drive too fast, too often.
                          Total tons of salt used per state probably isn't the best measure for this sort of analysis, though... Of course NY is going to use more tons of salt than smaller northeast states with similar climates, like VT, NH, etc.

At first, I thought that a better measure might be tons of salt used per road mile. I attempted to find a map showing this information, without any luck... but I did stumble across a map that shows salt usage as a measure of salt sold by weight per unit of surface area for each state. At first, I thought that that this was sort of a weird metric to attempt to judge the impacts of salt usage by... but after some thought, I realized it makes sense. Since we're looking at the impacts of salt on the environment, normalizing the weight of salt used by total state surface area will better tell you which states are likely to be more heavily impacted. Normalizing by road length could lead you to believe that occasional salt usage in densely populated areas was of little concern- when in reality the increased road network density leads to much greater impacts despite those low levels of per mile use.

In any case, this map paints a much different picture than the one shown above. By this measure, MA and RI are the biggest culprits (and NY fares better all of New England except for VT and ME):

Although I also think that breaking this information down by county would allow for an even better comparison of where the problem areas truly lie. Things would still get funky for the western states with positively massive counties, but I think salt usage is overall less of an issue in most of those areas.
                          Last edited by DSettahr; 01-02-2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Also, I'd be curious to know where is that one county/town in Mississippi that purchased salt...

Comment

Here in the Finger Lakes they mine salt under Cayuga and Seneca Lakes.(Cargil) There is fear of a mine roof collapse causing the mines to be open to polluting the lakes. Closed mines were also part of the natural gas storage schemes near Reading NY.
                              On Staten Island, NY, the Atlantic Salt Company used to, and might still, import rock salt by the ship load from Ireland and the Caribbean to sell to urban municipalities.
                              Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                              Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Working...
                              X