Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI,
    I have bought from the Saratoga nursery for many years. However, I have gotten better stock from other County programs. I have ordered through both Otsego and Madison County programs and their seedling stock were quite a bit more substantial than Sarotoga.

Tip: Find out the pick-up date for tree seedlings in your county. They generally have extra stock they will sell and if you wait a day you might get a bargain on left overs.

Either way, pick up ten trees and plant them, it couldn't hurt.
    "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

On the subject of trees there is a report done back around 2000 on the Lincoln Mountain wild forest that core sampled Black Gum trees and dated them back to the late 1400's if I'm reading it correctly..around page 43 of the pdf.

I grew up less than a mile away and have always wanted to try to find a tree to observe such a thing out of respect!
      Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

There is a local guiding outfit (fee charged) that leads snowshoe outings to the Black Tupelo (blackgum) trees. I don't remember the name of the outfit, but found them on the net doing a search of this state park and/or the trees.

Comment

I will see if I can find them online.
          I was going to give it a try today, but a splitting headache and the cold weather put a damper on that.
          I'm pretty sure I know where to look, just have to get the chance.
          But it's cool that others have taken an interest in them as well.

edit: I found some info that states one tree was found to be nearly 800 years old. And I now know who to ask for more specific info. Thanks Dundee!
          Last edited by skillzman1; 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

As of now, the access road off of Cohen Rd. is pretty icy; NO PARKING is allowed on Cohen Rd. itself. Wait a couple of weeks and the ice should be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
              As of now, the access road off of Cohen Rd. is pretty icy; NO PARKING is allowed on Cohen Rd. itself. Wait a couple of weeks and the ice should be gone.
              That's what I noticed two weekends ago when I attempted it. I figured the Mini Cooper was a bad idea on that ice. I think the Tundra would make it easy enough, but I can wait. No point in pushing my luck. I already got pulled out of a ditch once this winter on a hiking trip..lol
              Thanks, Matt

Comment

Originally posted by bmike-vt View Post
                I built a timber frame barn for a client. Part of my contract was that we each had to plant the same # of trees as timber in the frame. There were 151 pieces in the frame - so we ordered up and planted over 300 trees (12 years ago now). I planted 200 on my parents property not far from the barn site, and he planted the balance on his property, right behind the barn. We had friends and family help, and made an event out of it.

My mom (dad passed a few years ago) has a healthy softwoods stand now, and the client has trees taller than his daughters, who helped us plant them all.
                Very cool. That should be a requirement in more building contracts.

The year my son was born, I made note of a bunch of saplings that had sprouted that year in areas where I had taken down dead or non viable mature trees. Made sure to leave them be for a bit till I knew which ones were what tree and that they were going to do well, then trimmed out the undesirables. They are all several feet taller than he is 13 years later and growing strong. He likes that they are of the same vintage.

Comment

Please oblige my annual reminder that now is the time to order tree seedlings from the State or County.

“He who plants a tree, plants a hope.”
                  ― Lucy Larcom
                  "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                  X