American Chestnut Foundation offering a reward for the largest chestnut tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mphilli2 View Post
    This conversation has reminded me to stop more often and take in the beauty of mature white ash--since future generations might not have the same opportunity.
    And also to think that the impacts our choices can have upon ecosystems. Even recreational use can have significant consequences if we aren't careful. Moving of firewood is a known vector for the spread of invasive insects. And it's also believed that white nose syndrome, which has been decimating bat populations in the northeast, may have been brought into the country via contaminated recreational caving equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
      Our town had to work with them and sign some paperwork, to ensure that we don't sell the trees, or that we try and make seedlings, and that the ACF can come inspect them, but other that it was pretty easy. They're not at the point where they just sell blight-resistant seeds. These were saplings that were expected to be resistant, no guarantees.
      http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

So I was reading a guidebook recently that stated that there is some thought that the roots of the chestnuts that keep sprouting will probably start to die off in the near future. So it may come to pass that chestnuts are completely extirpated from the Appalachian Mountains after all...

Comment

That may be possible. AFAIK, the fungus does not directly attack the roots, only the above ground part of the tree. The roots will send up new growth, but that will in turn be attacked by the fungus. Maybe there is only so much stress a tree can take?

Comment

The next one to be extinct will be the ash tree from the emerald ash borer. Trees are being cut down as fast as possible before they get infected.
            ~ADK's UPHILL ON THE WAY IN & UPHILL ON THE WAY OUT~

Comment

Also possible, but don't count your chickens...

Nature will counterbalance as best it can. Remember the Gypsy Moth? It was supposed to wipe out our forests here in the ADKs. While it did damage, the forests recoverd and we haven't had an attack in years.

I've read where woodpeckers may be able to control the damage in the forests; we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
                That may be possible. AFAIK, the fungus does not directly attack the roots, only the above ground part of the tree. The roots will send up new growth, but that will in turn be attacked by the fungus. Maybe there is only so much stress a tree can take?
                I don't think it is so much that the blight is beginning to affect the root structure as it is that after 100 years, the continual re-sprouting of small shoots is no longer providing enough carbohydrates to support the root structures.

Comment

Yes, that's what I meant. Maybe I should have said it differently.

Comment

I have dozen chestnuts that a friend of mine gave me. They are from a tree on his property in Livingston County. I am starting them this winter (along with some tree peony seeds) and hope that I can raise a few trees from them. I have seen the trees he owns. There are two of them. They seem to to quite healthy and are producing chestnuts every year.
                    The seedling trees that I bought from the chestnut foundation have not done too well. Critters ate a couple of them (deer, rabbits), a couple of them simply died, I weedwhacked one (not too happy about that) and my neighbor (obsessive compulsive trimmer/pruner) chopped one down the same day she devastated my Hazzlenut bush. There are two trees left....I hope at least one of them survives. They are beautiful trees.
                    I recently bought an American Chestnut board from an acquaintance in Canada....I paid the long loonie for it. The EH Gerrish canoe I have in queue has chestnut decks, seats and thwarts. One of the thwarts is not original (it's oak) so I'll use the board to make a replacement. I'm glad I was able to find wood. My backup plan was to buy an old dresser at an auction and turn it into boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X