Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
Mish

Sorry to ask but when do you propose black fly season

I have been visiting the Adirondacks for years. I always camp in early or mid August or September for High peak hiking. I'm reluctant to camp in July.i did once before and the black flies were atrocious! I would love to camp in the warmer weather again without my dog and I being attacked. Any idea how this years black fly season will be considering we are having such a mild winter?
Mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
EagleCrag

There is a saying about black flies. Here by Mother's Day, gone by Father's Day. That's certainly not a hard and fast rule though and when the black flies depart, the mosquitoes usually arrive. With the warm winter, things could be moved up a bit earlier. There have been quite a few black bears already on the prowl from what I hear. Unheard of in February in my experience. The cold weather forecast for next weekend will probably send them back to their dens. I know you are concerned about smaller black pests though!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Buckladd

It all depends on the weather. I've dealt with them in late April, early July and everywhere in between. That's why I use a ThermaCell!
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
Wldrns

Black flies being "Gone by Father's Day" is rather optimistic in my long experience. Working with Boy Scouts, we've had backwoods trips weeks well after July 4th that have been thick with the critters, often as the usual case at least for planning. Keep in mind that our other friends, deer flies, are at their peak during the high heat of summer, even as the black flies begin to diminish.

On the other end it is usually good advice to expect heavy black fly infestations anytime after Mother's Day, certainly before Memorial Day. But there have been some years I've had perfect weather on Memorial Day with zero flies - but that is highly unusual.

Making a prediction based on high or low snow, harsh or mild winters never seems to prove out with any merit. You just never know from year to year. But I look at it as part of the wilderness experience. My best defense it to keep moving, and enjoy the time when those folks who are intolerant are not crowding me in the woods.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-07-2016 at 10:22 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
wellsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I have been visiting the Adirondacks for years. I always camp in early or mid August or September for High peak hiking. I'm reluctant to camp in July.i did once before and the black flies were atrocious! I would love to camp in the warmer weather again without my dog and I being attacked. Any idea how this years black fly season will be considering we are having such a mild winter?

August is still pretty warm. I was on Marcy one year in June waddling through feet of snow. August is going to be your best bet. Early May before the leaves come out ,but then you might get a surprise spring snow.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The bugs that you saw- how big were they? I ask because July is a bit late to be seeing black flies (although not impossible), and I wonder if maybe they were deer flies, which begin their reign of terror in June and last through early August (along with mosquitoes). Deer flies are much larger than black flies, and IMO, are much more annoying.

I agree that August can still be pretty warm during the day, but colder nights aren't uncommon. I've seen temperatures dip below freezing at night in late August on a number of trips in the backcountry in the Adirondacks.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
The bugs that you saw- how big were they? I ask because July is a bit late to be seeing black flies (although not impossible), and I wonder if maybe they were deer flies,
If you are speaking to me, you can be very assured that I absolutely know the difference between black flies and deer flies. I have lived with both all my life, growing up and living on and near Tug Hill and the Adirondacks. And yes, July does see its share of black flies, maybe not so much in the high peaks (does not tend to be my preferred territory), but certainly elsewhere. There is a significant unmistakeable difference between tiny black flies and larger deer flies, as deer flies come out as the temperature warms. Deer flies are shaped like little delta-wing jet fighters, and hurt almost as much. Even larger cousins are horse flies, though thankfully less numerous.

The Boy Scout High Adventure Trek program does not even begin until early July, and I have led many such week-long treks through Lows and the Oswegatchie and other areas with more than our share of all three types of biting flies (BF, DF and Mosquitoes). Many a 4th of July has been miserable for the scouts. Black flies tend to dry up as July progresses, but they are still out in some years right till the latter half of the month.

Last edited by Wldrns; 02-07-2016 at 04:58 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

No, I was asking Mish. My post was in response to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
I agree that once you are familiar with both, they are hard to confuse. But I've also interacted with a number of hikers in the Adirondacks who thought that deer flies were black flies.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I agree that once you are familiar with both, they are hard to confuse. But I've also interacted with a number of hikers in the Adirondacks who thought that deer flies were black flies.
Yes, I have had to point that out to others as well.

Don't forget punkies (otherwise known as no-seeums). Miserable things they are, especially on warm humid nights.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

For crying out loud!
Man up!
Of course there are distractions.
There is an alternative.
Stay home in your comfortable environment.
Stop complaining about a few bugs!
Enjoy the experience,
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #11
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
For crying out loud!
Man up!
Of course there are distractions.
There is an alternative.
Stay home in your comfortable environment.
Stop complaining about a few bugs!
Enjoy the experience,
Jim
He mentioned concern for his dog… while I actually prefer the effects that bugs have on crowds… and whole lakes to myself, being concerned for his buddy is indeed a valid concern to ask if not personally aware..

Go early then, before mothers day, or in very late summer through fall, i think is your best bet. After the black flies, then the deer flies will welt your dogs nose, horse flies all make em yelp. I have two GSP's-short haired. one dog hunts them and never seems to bothered too much, the other can break my heart as he seems to have a reaction to them, maybe because once he retrieved a ball and came back with over 100 big yellow jackets stinging him… had to hose him down to get em off, then off to the vets.... So I give him special consideration. SO I understand your concern. If I go in fly season, I leave them home

At either end of the summer the bugs are at their least.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
yellowcanoe

There are insect repellents safe for pets. I use Repel and work it in carefully on my dogs face with my hands No spray around their eyes.

Mild winter=no blackflies= no correlation. Usually they hatch when running water gets to 55 degrees. But too dry or too wet and the breeding season fails and they will retry again. Last summer in Maine our successful breeding season for blackflies was August. We also had horrific amounts at the end of August in Newfoundland.

Last summer in July I was assailed by deer flies in the Adirodacks. I will take the blackflies anytime. Our poor dog did suffer from them too.. Just did not understand them and had chunks of fly bite size skin missing.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The bugs this past season seemed worse than I remember them being in previous years. I broke down and bought bug spray for the first time in probably 9 or 10 years. I bought Natrapel, which uses Picaridin. It seemed to work pretty well; one application lasted for 2-4 hours, so I only needed to re-apply it maybe once or twice later in the day. You do end the day feeling a bit sticky where you've applied it, though.

I did some google searching to see if Picaridin is safe for dogs, and it seems like there really isn't much information on the subject.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Eire1916
Beidh ar la linn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
It all depends on the weather. I've dealt with them in late April, early July and everywhere in between. That's why I use a ThermaCell!
how did the Thermacell work ?? did you use any other repellent with it ?
Eire1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #15
dmartenvt

My guess is they'll be early and plentiful this year, and that it will depend on the weather in July. If it stays wet and not too windy they are often around in early July - elevation dependent too. You can sometimes get away from them by getting to a higher elevation.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I had always heard that you needed running water for black fly eggs, and still for mosquitoes, so the timing of the blackflies was when the first heat wave hit and dried up a lot of the streams.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There were both ticks and flying insects out this past weekend in the Delaware State Forest in the Poconos (NE Pennsylvania). No sign of any flying biting insects yet, though.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #18
serotonin
ember

Welcome to the Insects

No Sympathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mz1trIryUQ
Old 03-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
Fly Rodder

I propose that black fly season be cancelled.

I did kill a mosquito last night.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #20
1bluefin

Head nets

Hi, what is the best head nets for bl. flies and no-see-ums. Outdoor Gear makes one with the rings around it to keep it off your face is it worth it.
Any other brands that are good with a fine enough mesh (I hear the sea to summit is not fine enough)? Some have a draw string around the neck for closure or is the elastic bottom on some others adequate? Please advise your thoughts. Thanks
1bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote