Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
saabrian

Route 73 trailhead parking

Hi, I know parking is crazy at Route 73 trailheads. I know in the summer and on weekends in shoulder season, they often fill up by 7 am. But is (legal) parking this extremely hard to find on WEEKDAYS right now?

Thanks.
Completed: Chester Challenge
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
bluequill

Saturday and Sunday will be packed. Friday and Monday are busy but usually a few spots open. T-Th should be no problem. Beer Walls parking usually has a few spots open on the weekend. Just be flexible.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
TCD

Bluequill is right. Midweek is best, early is still a good idea.

It really depends on were you are trying to go along route 73. The biggest problem area is centered within about a mile of the AMR/Roaring Brook parking. This is where the state and the AMR have created this problem by closing a large amount of very safe parking over the last couple years. This has resulted in dangerous parking and walking from AMR most of the way up to Chapel Pond.

(Even though no one can "designate" a parking space, the very small number of rock climbers would really appreciate it if the beer walls parking did not get completely filled up by the large number of hikers who are not going to the beer walls. But we understand that all we can do is ask.)

Elsewhere on 73 (Round Pond/Boquet region, Marcy Field, Cascade, etc.) the problem is not as bad, because the "powers that be" have not yet screwed things up in those areas.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
bluequill

I drove south on 73 today. After stating that midweek would be ok I have to amend that thought. Roaring Brook Falls/AMR was full with illegal parking going on. Chapel Pond/Giant/Ridge had two parking spaces open. Round Pond had three spaces open. The parking areas between Roaring Brook and Chapel Pond were full. Beer Walls had some open spots but really, if not climbing the walls this is an inconvenient place to park for access to the AMR and Giant trails.

Marcy Field is always open due to no shuttle running. This is a great spot to meet others in a group to carpool to other areas where parking is an issue.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
saabrian

I ended up going to Poke-o-Moonshine today instead but thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.
Completed: Chester Challenge
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote