Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
DDinBoston

Horseshoe Pond/Follensby Area

Hey guys,
Iíve got a trip coming up in a few weeks to Horseshoe Pond. Thinking the site on the peninsula. But curious if anyone has an update on that area. I think Follensby was going to change over to new campsites this year as well.

Are there more or less people out there this year?

Let me know if you have any favorite sites in that area.

Thanks!
DDinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
DDinBoston

Update

Quick update in case this helps anyone else.

Went to Follensby/Horseshoe Pond last week. Beautiful weather for the 4 night we were there. We arrived at Follensby on a Wednesday @ 1pm, and most of the sites there were already accounted for. So we carried into Horseshoe Pond, and it was pretty much empty. We got the peninsula site that is directly across from the carry. It was an amazing site with plenty of room and a nice "front porch" to hang out on. By Friday, all the sites on Horseshoe were taken. And on Saturday, there were people trying to find any open site, but none to be found.

Glad we got there on a Wednesday, and glad we decided to carry into Horseshoe. Much more relaxing and peaceful.

Hope that helps.
DDinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
SteveSam

Thanks for the update. Looks like it is very busy this summer. We spent Friday 7/24 paddling/hiking at Blue Mountain Lake and it was pretty busy on the trail to Castle Rock and the campsites that we saw on the lake were all occupied by mid-day.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

Wow... I recall in past years paddling through Follensby on the weekend and seeing no more than 2/3rd site usage.

Did you swim in Horseshoe at all? I've seen leeches swimming around at the landing at the portage back to Follensby. I'm wondering if they're all over or limited to certain areas.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Woodly

Pour salt on leeches to remove them, some say bug repellent also will get them to release.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
follensby, horseshoe