Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
forest dweller

Ya gotta reserve campsites at Boreas Ponds?

Ya gotta reserve campsites at Boreas Ponds?

First they fail at making it wilderness as it should have been, now there is so much demand that there is a reservation system for a campsite when you still have to walk in a mile? I've been out of the loop for a while, anybody want to give me the rundown?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Not sure where you heard that but there is no mention of it on the DEC page for Boreas Ponds.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
forest dweller

Yeah, I googled Boreas Ponds...I saw that one, and I saw this...

https://newyorkstateparks.reserveame...NY&parkId=6835
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
peskypup

The reservation is for the 1 of the 4 parking spaces that allow you to drive all the way into the ponds. It's a day use parking permit, not a camping reservation. It just uses the same reservation system as the state campgrounds.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

Walking distance from parking to Boreas Ponds put-in?

What is the walking distance from parking to put-in? DEC says Gulf Brook Rd is washed out. Thanks for any up to date info!
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Festus

It is about 6 miles from the parking lot just off the Blue Ridge highway to Labier Flow (this is the first dam you encounter). This walk in follows the road which is normally open now for driving but is closed due to needed repairs due to washouts. You can launch a canoe at Labier, paddle a short ways and then take out and walk half a mile to the Boreas ponds put-in and dam. Or you can just keep walking past Labier and put in at Boreas (about 6.9 miles from the highway).
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
MTVhike

I believe the only reserveable campsite is for the handicapped accessible lean-to at the old lodge site.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Nehasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I believe the only reserveable campsite is for the handicapped accessible lean-to at the old lodge site.
Nope - 1st come 1st served like all the other backountry lean-tos & campsites on Forest Preserve.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Ya don’t gotta reserve campsites at Boreas Ponds. I still don’t believe there are any designated campsites at Boreas Ponds other than the new lean-to, and not including any of the numerous illegal makeshift campsites that have sprung up around the shores over the past few years. Maybe a camping reservation will be the next logical step to curb some of the illegal camping & littering that has been going on there since the DEC (continues to) improve the road for city cars to drive within a mile or less. What do they think would happen?

Last edited by Justin; 06-23-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Maybe a camping reservation will be the next logical step to curb some of the illegal camping & littering that has been going on there since the DEC (continues to) improve the road for city cars to drive within a mile or less. What do they think would happen?
Maybe they'll just let it get washed out and it'll be another Crane Pond Rd situation...

Oh boy!!

Designate some sites and issue permits. Have a college kid a.k.a. Steward patrol the ponds. Simple.

The sites the DEC will designate won't be what people want anyway i.e. not on the water, so don't expect overnight usage to skyrocket.

Biggest issues will be like any other place i.e. Lila, Lows, SRCA... human waste sanitation and forest stripping with the random littering - which tends to be pretty low with a janitor... err Steward...

Invest in thunderboxes at all sites.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #11
MTVhike

Well, at least they put in a sizeable outhouse at the public parking lot.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote