Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
Schip

Deerfoot Lodge/Dug Mt/G Lake Roads

Hello,

I want to do some more gravel biking around the Speculator/Piseco
area. I was wonder if the Deerfoot Lodge & Dug Mt Roads are public? Can I ride my bike there? If so, where would be the best place to park? I drive a Honda Fit and it doesn't have much ground clearance.

Also, does anyone know the condition of the access road to G Lake? I know that area really got hit with that terrible rain storm last Oct. I was wondering if that road had sustained much damage and, if so, if it has been repaired. I would like to take my kayak in there, but I wasn't sure how far I would have to wheel it.

Thanks!

Kathy
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
ghiamonster

I drove out to the gate on Dug Mtn Road a few weeks ago. There is about two miles of decently maintained gravel before getting there but not the most for scenery. Didn't see much in the way of parking. I would recommend exploring all of Elm Lake and Fly
Creek roads as better alternatives.
ghiamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
srprievo

I drove G Lake Rd a couple of weeks ago. About 1.5 miles in the road was barricaded. I could see a large rut and a huge tree down across the road. I didn't go any further so I don't know what lay beyond that tree, but it looks to double the usual carry distance.

Update....G Lake Rd is still closed 1.5 miles in, but paths have been cut thru the blowdowns, so its accessible on foot. Wheelable most of the way, except for 2 major washouts. Add half a mile (all uphill) and 15 to 20 minutes to get to the lake from the barricade.

Last edited by srprievo; 06-13-2020 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: updated info
srprievo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiamonster View Post
I drove out to the gate on Dug Mtn Road a few weeks ago. There is about two miles of decently maintained gravel before getting there but not the most for scenery. Didn't see much in the way of parking. I would recommend exploring all of Elm Lake and Fly
Creek roads as better alternatives.
I have already done Elm/Fly Creek a few times, as well and Perkins Clearing. I was just wondering about Dug Mt. Thanks for the info. It is appreciated.

Kathy
Old 06-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Schip

Quote:
Originally Posted by srprievo View Post
I drove G Lake Rd a couple of weeks ago. About 1.5 miles in the road was barricaded. I could see a large rut and a huge tree down across the road. I didn't go any further so I don't know what lay beyond that tree, but it looks to double the usual carry distance.

Update....G Lake Rd is still closed 1.5 miles in, but paths have been cut thru the blowdowns, so its accessible on foot. Wheelable most of the way, except for 2 major washouts. Add half a mile (all uphill) and 15 to 20 minutes to get to the lake from the barricade.
Thanks!

Kathy