Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
ColonelKus

Skylight - 11/14

On Friday afternoon, we set out for another journey up to the daks. After a quick stop at Campmor in Jersey we made our way up. We got to the Upper Works Trailhead around 7PM. I put in the new insoles I got from Campmor and set off. To our surprise there was some frozen mud from the recent cold temps. As the night progressed, the trails got progressively muddier. We arrived at Lake Colden around 10:30 or so and found an empty lean-to. I should know better than to try out new insoles while hiking...my heels developed blisters that hurt with every step. As we went to sleep the winds started to really pick up.

When we woke up, we noticed that a large portion of Lake Colden had a thin layer of ice on it that would melt by the end of the day. We set off for Skylight around 8:30, with the hopes of doing Gray after. The rain was pretty light at first, but as we approached 4 corners it was coming down pretty good and we were already soaked, including our feet from the muddy/wet trails. We started up for Skylight and ran into a few sections of ice, nothing extensive but enough where we were able to try out our new Hillsound Trail Crampons. I can't compare them to the Microspikes, but they worked out great...I felt very confident going up and down the ice in these.

After getting down to the trail junction with Gray we decided to head down and skip it. We were too wet and didn't have the energy to do another mountain, and my heels were killing me from the blisters. We got back to the lean-to around 3, had some dinner and decided to stay another night and leave in the morning. It rained most of the night but we woke up to sun which was nice. We trekked back through the muddy trail and got back to the car around 10:30.

A little disappointed we weren't able to do more but it was still a fun trip. 8 down, 38 to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11434_1254864207014_1091841177_790228_3891208_n.jpg (39.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by ColonelKus; 11-16-2009 at 10:10 AM..
ColonelKus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
AxCxNJ

nice, i stayed at marcy dam this past weekend...saturday was a real bummer..we ended up doing only colden..wanted to do more but it was way to wet and sloppy
AxCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
na_hayes
25 of 46

Great pic!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Hobbitling
spring fever

yeah, I love those foggy socked in summits. maybe even more than the 100 mile views. very surreal.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
poorboy

don't feel bad about passing on gray.
i think i did the same approachin skylight twice and marcy once.

its funny, though.
this summer i finally decided the way to go was to set it as primary. and believe me, next time yer looking out on Lake Tear, its a one two three and a nice scramble. next ya know, you are up on top. the majority of your work has already been done.
i suppose it's just hard to imagine that it's gonna be easy, especially after managing so far. i guess that's discretion bein the better part of valor and all that.

the pix, though ya cant tell is from one of the spooky forays to skylight...
(dont fergit ta bring a rock!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 067.jpg (69.7 KB, 47 views)
How easily we might walk onward into the opening landscape, absorbed by new pictures, and by thoughts fast succeeding each other, until by degrees the recollection of home was crowded out of the mind, all memory obliterated by the tyranny of the present, and we were led in triumph by nature.

-- emerson --
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote