Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
vchops

Black Fly update

Hi All

I have a 5 day trip planned for next week. How are the black flies as of now?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
vchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Out and swarming according to a post in this thread: https://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=27952
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
TCD

Yes, it's the season in some areas.

In Keene, there are zero black flies as of yet.

But in North Creek on Sunday, they were in the "swarming but not yet biting" mode.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Was up Saturday near Hoffman Notch
Not a bug in sight!! But then again, winds were high all day long
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Wldrns

Sunday, southwest of Old Forge, the early non-biting but annoying swarms were out. I swallowed a few by accident... small and not very tasty. The big toothed biters will be out in force very soon.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-04-2021 at 01:01 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Ferris Lake Wild forest area has small swarms but not really biting yet.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
bluequill

Last week, Hammond Pond WF had some swarms.....one got lucky on my forehead.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #8
vchops

Thanks for the responses. Any good advice for these? I experienced them once in Maine and it was insane, it’s been a while since I’ve been North at this time of year.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchops View Post
Thanks for the responses. Any good advice for these? I experienced them once in Maine and it was insane, it’s been a while since I’ve been North at this time of year.
Keep moving, don't stop when they are the worst.
Since the little buggers tend to like to attack at the highest point of a living body, it is very helpful to hike with someone who is taller than you. Especially when you are stopped, try to stand in a hollow spot lower than your chum. Share in idle chat for a minute, then silently slink away for a short reprieve.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Sometimes if you get a good swarm around your head, you can walk over to a companion, bow down real close to them, and transfer the swarm to their head.

Assuming that this is a paddle trip, if you can fit a bug house into the canoe you might be glad to have it.

Definitely bring long sleeve shirts, pants, and a head net. It should be too early yet for no-see-ums but make sure the head net is no-see-um proof or else you'll need another, different head net for trips undertaken later in the season.

Black flies do have one saving grace- they go away at night. So once the sun is down you'll be able to enjoy the campfire in peace. Similarly, they don't come back out in the morning until things have warmed up a bit- so there's usually an hour or so post dawn that is bug free. If you can be up early, you can use that time to your advantage (breaking down camp without going insane).

If you're out on a big lake, even moderate winds will keep them at bay during the day. But any sheltered coves, narrower streams, boggy stretches, etc., should be treated with caution.

Similarly, campsites on the east side of any bigger bodies of water can catch breezes out of the west during the day, which can also help with the bug situation.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
RichieC

Buy a bug shirt... I have found since I bought mine, on the rare occasion I need it, it is invaluable. Sometimes it seems the word has gotten around to these critters, that I have one packed away, and can have it on in a minute... and they leave me alone. So i don't care how it works- these shirts just do, and if you don't get too close to a fire or bust through brambles, they should last forever.

Remember, these critters keep the pretty spots mostly devoid of PITA people, leaving you to entire tracts all to yourself. SO bug season...is my favorite season.

I can vouch for the elite original bug shirt... i like the way it opens at the top. You can tighten it up around your face protecting the sides and back or your head- leaving your friendly gestures (waving to everyone) to keep them off your face, and when really bad, retreat behind it... you will spend a inordinate amount of time trying to figure out if some are inside or out... you can drink your liquids right through it, filters out their drunken little bodies nicely.

Have fun!
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #12
vchops

Thanks all! I’ll let you know how I made out. Bringing a lite weight bug net and a head net so fingers crossed!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:47 AM   #13
Nehasane

They will not be active until the temp gets above 55F - hope for cold temps. Rain keeps them at bay, too.
http://northeastwild.blogspot.com/20...ason-prep.html
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #14
Tick Magnet

Starting to swarm in southern Hamilton County, Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.

Right on time
Old 05-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #15
adkjack
Admin

I tell folks that they are attracted to the tallest (mentioned) in a group and are also drawn by moisture and Co2 so the best thing to do is to hike with tall out of shape people who sweat a lot and breathe heavy.
Unfortunately all too often that describes myself. No wonder, now that I think about it, it was usually late May and June Neil wanted me to go bushwhacking with him.
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:31 PM   #16
vchops

Temps are gonna be cold at night (32-39) and hovering around 55. Finger crossed ����
Old 05-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #17
St.Regis

The weather is what it is, but this is the kind of spring that seems to extend the BF season and increases the probability of a bug blitz quad event (black flies, no-see-ems, skeeters, and deer flies) in late June/early July
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #18
Bunchberry

They were in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness today. They were not aggressive. Three of the little buggers got a bite on me. I would bring bug spray from now on.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
mgc

The little buggers are really lit up right now and will keep getting worse in the next few weeks.
Unless it's cool, expect them to try and carry you away. Strap yourself into your canoe or tie your ankles to a couple hammered in tent stakes. Last week I saw flies that were as big as Moto Guzzi's.
The recent snow added just a bit more water so my expectation is that this year will be Hors catégorie.
Your best best is to always have a hiking/camping or paddling companion with you to transfer them to.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

Got my bug suit ready:

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote