Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Addwolanin

West Mountain

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience hiking into Raquette Lake from big moose via West Mountain. Iím looking to make a short backpacking trip thru hike of the trail starting at the Judson Road in Big Moose Lake and finishing on Uncas Road in Raquette.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Addwolanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Bagadeez04

I made it a bit past Pigeon Lake a few years ago. Gets pretty difficult to follow trail, got pretty time consuming.Never made it much farther.

Not sure if that trail has been cleaned up recently.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I haven't hiked this trail yet but it's been on my "to hike" list for a while. Every resource I've found concerning the current condition of the trail has indicated that it has become increasingly tough to follow over the past decade or so.

Personally, I was looking at a 2-3 day loop trip here. My potential route would incorporate this trail plus a return hike further south using trails by way of Eighth Lake, Bug Lake, and Black Bear Mountain (plus a bit less than 2 miles of road walking through Eagle Bay).

EDIT: Eagle Bay, not Eagle Lake.

Last edited by DSettahr; 02-04-2020 at 12:49 PM..
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Addwolanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I haven't hiked this trail yet but it's been on my "to hike" list for a while. Every resource I've found concerning the current condition of the trail has indicated that it has become increasingly tough to follow over the past decade or so.

Personally, I was looking at a 2-3 day loop trip here. My potential route would incorporate this trail plus a return hike further south using trails by way of Eighth Lake, Bug Lake, and Black Bear Mountain (plus a bit less than 2 miles of road walking through Eagle Lake).

I was trying to look for ways to make it a loop, I figured it wasnít a very popular route. Itís been a pretty elusive trail to find information on

Old 02-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Woodly

Maybe calling the local ranger would help.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:

Personally, I was looking at a 2-3 day loop trip here. My potential route would incorporate this trail plus a return hike further south using trails by way of Eighth Lake, Bug Lake, and Black Bear Mountain (plus a bit less than 2 miles of road walking through Eagle Lake).
If you ever decide to do this loop and would not mind company, let me know. I also have had this on my list.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Woodly

Is or was Judson Rd also called; Higby Rd?
Or is that another road entirely?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Addwolanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Is or was Judson Rd also called; Higby Rd?
Or is that another road entirely?

The judson rd. Is a small dead end road off of higby rd. Right at the left hand bend that takes higby toward big moose lake.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addwolanin View Post
The judson rd. Is a small dead end road off of higby rd. Right at the left hand bend that takes higby toward big moose lake.

Thank you. I don't know that area at all. Your conversation intrigued me so I dug out a map and looked at that and was wondering.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
Lucky13

Quote:

Eagle Lake? or Eagle Bay? If it is Eagle Bay, you can get a great burger and Bloody Mary at the Tavern. For Eagle Lake, I think you have to swim across Raquette and up the Marion River!

If you took the north trail off Black Bear you would hit the Uncas Road, much more enjoyable to walk than 28, although you will still take 28 for the short distance from the Uncas Road to the Big Moose Road.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Eagle Lake? or Eagle Bay?
Yep, Eagle Bay, not Eagle Lake. That's what I get for recounting the route from memory without checking the map first.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #12
Addwolanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If you ever decide to do this loop and would not mind company, let me know. I also have had this on my list.

I know you both donít know me, but if you donít mind strangers, Iíd also be interested lol

Old 02-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I used to hike in that area before I built my first canoe, and someday when I get caught up with things and have more time I'd like to try that loop, it's a great idea to combine the trails like that. I've been on a lot of those trails, but never got to the part over West Mtn and down to Raquette Lake. It's a really pretty area, I have particularly fond memories of the hike from the Cascade Lake trailhead up to Queer Lake and Chub Lake. Once I left the Cascade loop I usually didn't see anybody in there, except for once around the Queer Lake lean-to.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addwolanin View Post
I know you both donít know me, but if you donít mind strangers, Iíd also be interested lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
someday when I get caught up with things and have more time I'd like to try that loop, it's a great idea to combine the trails like that.
I'm not opposed to sharing my trips but my schedule isn't the easiest for facilitating it. My "weekends" (days off) in the summer occur mid-week. Plus I'm really bad about planning trips in advance- i.e., if I'm heading out on a Monday through Wednesday trip, I might sit down to start looking at maps/making plans Saturday or Sunday evening, only a few days in advance.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #15
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

DSettahr, I had just meant to thank you for having (and sharing) the idea of making the trails in that area into a loop. It had never occurred to me but now I think it is a great thought, and would make a very pleasant trip. While I am not entirely anti-social it is true that I have never gone on a hiking trip with anyone else, other than short day trips. I like being able to go at my own pace, and where and when I want to. I have tended to plan further ahead and more exhaustively than is perhaps wise, but I do enjoy reading about places and making plans and I have learned not to try to pack too much into the limited time I have. I'm hoping to move inside the Blue Line in a year or two, and after that I hope to have more opportunities to explore the many places I've read about but not yet visited, and to go back to my old favorite haunts. I always enjoy reading your trip reports, and appreciate your very detailed and informative responses to my and other people's questions.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

No worries. I thought maybe that was what you meant but I also didn't want you to feel left out if you were also expressing interest in joining.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
snapper
snapper

Full Disclaimer...I'm not the one who did this trip but about 8 years ago I was running shuttles for SUNY Cortland. We had a trip that I picked up at the Fourth Lake boat launch who I then drove over to the Cascade Lakes trail head. From there they were to backpack back to Raquette Lake via the trails while going up and over West Mt. When the group got back at the end of their trip the staff member mentioned how difficult it was to find their way. Most of the trail was overgrown and markers were few and far between. My guess is it's not any better now; and probably even more challenging.

Just sharing this as it's the only semi-direct knowledge I have of the route. I did attempt it a couple of years ago with a friend in late November during our college's Thanksgiving break but a snowstorm we experienced the first night while staying at Queer Lake encouraged us to retreat back to our vehicles.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #18
wgeisdorf

Our family camp is at the base of West Mountain on Sucker Brook Bay. When I hiked West Mountain last year, I noticed the trail heading towards Higby Rd. had been trimmed back a little. I only walked down it for a few minutes, so I can't vouch for the condition of all 8 miles.

I have spoken with several locals who have hiked down that side and they always talk about it being pretty overgrown.

Would love to get an update on the status of the trail if you do attempt it. Good luck!
wgeisdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #19
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Judson Rd is gated and locked right at the junction w/ Higby. the nearest parking is the Higby Rd public dock area, where overnight parking is discouraged. for an overnight loop to West Mtn, i would start and end at the Windfall-Queer Lake trailhead.
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Addwolanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Judson Rd is gated and locked right at the junction w/ Higby. the nearest parking is the Higby Rd public dock area, where overnight parking is discouraged. for an overnight loop to West Mtn, i would start and end at the Windfall-Queer Lake trailhead.

I was thinking about parking at windfall and staying at queer lake lean-to. However, is Judson being gated new? Right now itís a snowmobile trail and in the fall last year we parked on the side of the judson road at the hermitage trail. It wasnít overnight though.