Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
    I highly recommend Scott Locorini from that area:
    Adirondack Outdoor Training, Schools with NYS Outdoor Guide Association Guide Members: New York & Adirondack Guides

Meanwhile, don't get frustrated. This past weekend was tough and very noisy.
    Great, thanks for the recommendation Buckladd. I will most likely be contacting him for next season.

And yeah, as daunting as I find hunting up here I'm enjoying it.

Also, since i see you carry a model 94- do you have any suggestions for aftermarket peep sights? Last year I bought a nice 1941 M94 but unfortunately it shoots way too high and left and my stock iron sight adjustments are maxed out.

Thanks again and congrats on the nice deer!

Comment

• Originally posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
      Great, thanks for the recommendation Buckladd. I will most likely be contacting him for next season.

Also, since i see you carry a model 94- do you have any suggestions for aftermarket peep sights? Last year I bought a nice 1941 M94 but unfortunately it shoots way too high and left and my stock iron sight adjustments are maxed out.

Might be more than the sights causing/not being able to correct the problem. I'd have a gunsmith look at it.
      Last edited by Woodly; 12-04-2019, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=RipVanWinkle;279505]

Also, since i see you carry a model 94- do you have any suggestions for aftermarket peep sights? Last year I bought a nice 1941 M94 but unfortunately it shoots way too high and left and my stock iron sight adjustments are maxed out. /QUOTE]

I had the same issue with a newer M94 and put Williams peep sights on it , shoots a much tighter group , just not a long range gun .

Comment

• [QUOTE=backwoodsman;279507]
          Originally posted by RipVanWinkle View Post

Also, since i see you carry a model 94- do you have any suggestions for aftermarket peep sights? Last year I bought a nice 1941 M94 but unfortunately it shoots way too high and left and my stock iron sight adjustments are maxed out. /QUOTE]

I had the same issue with a newer M94 and put Williams peep sights on it , shoots a much tighter group , just not a long range gun .
          My Trapper has a 16-inch barrel and the factory dove-tail sights blocked out the target so I eventually went with a peep. I use a Williams No.5. I'm not crazy about it, but it's the only sight I know of for that gun without drilling. Not sure about the older model. Either way, I highly recommend a peep, especially for fast shooting. You can check Skinner Sights as well.
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

My first season really hunting was this year and I got out twice.
            First hunt was a guided hunt in the 5 Ponds where we covered probably close to 40 miles in 3 days and saw only about 4 sets of tracks the whole time.
            My 2nd time out was this past Saturday in the Black River Wild Forest where I definitely saw more tracks but I could not catch up to anything.

It's tough going out there, it almost feels futile at times especially when time is as limited as mine. I give you guys a lot of credit for having any success out there.

But I'll take the grind of covering miles and miles up here and seeing nothing than sitting in a stand.

If anyone recommends a guide that works in the SW ADK please let me know, I may plan on hiring one again next year- otherwise I'm out there trying to teach myself which isnt easy.

Good luck to everyone.
            Mark Eddy in Old Forge was guiding hunters. The shop on the Main Street with lumber and canoes stored in racks out front, Hadarondah Company
            315-369-3868

Comment

• One can always contact, 'NYSOGA' for a complete list of guides and their activities.

Comment

• I have a Lyman tang peep installed on my M94. It's a perfect setup for this gun.
                The LR adjustment can be made by moving the front site a bit....You should be able to move it more than enough to take care of any LR issues short of moving it out of the groove.
                When you say stock iron, you mean the buckhorn style?? That should be all the way down, probably with the elevator completely removed if it's shooting that high. That's a problem with some 94's. You don't mention what kind of lead you are throwing but that could have an effect. If the rear sight is all the way down you may end up swapping out the front sight for one that is a bit taller to fix the problem.

Comment

• Hey, ripvanwinkle and one step, sent you guys a PM

Comment

• [QUOTE=Buckladd;279509]
                    Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post

My Trapper has a 16-inch barrel and the factory dove-tail sights blocked out the target so I eventually went with a peep. I use a Williams No.5. I'm not crazy about it, but it's the only sight I know of for that gun without drilling. Not sure about the older model. Either way, I highly recommend a peep, especially for fast shooting. You can check Skinner Sights as well.
                    Hey what caliber is your Trapper?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                    Two Beavers

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                      One can always contact, 'NYSOGA' for a complete list of guides and their activities.
                      Only if the guide is a member of the Association. It is required to have a license from NYS, but not to be a member of NYSOGA. You can get complete licensed guide information from https://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/DECLicensedGuide/

Comment

• [QUOTE=Edb 46 er;279527]
                        Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                        Hey what caliber is your Trapper?

Good old .30-30!
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Buckladd;279538]
                          Originally posted by Edb 46 er View Post

Good old .30-30!
                          Great caliber, I went with the 44

Two Beavers

Comment

Look up skinner sights. I have them on my 94, 760, and marlin. Great quality peep sights

Comment

• Hope everyone had a good season. We had an interesting final weekend, killing two bucks off the same hill. Their bellies were full of corn! Not sure what everyone's take on baiting is, but it backfired for whoever is doing it in this area, I hope. The deer are grouping up, for sure, which is expected when the season is open so late and the weather cold and snowy. We're still seeing bear tracks too, but couldn't catch up to the source.
                              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

• Hunted Sunday 12/1 thru Friday 12/6. Had plenty of deer sign including some good buck tracks. Covered some of my favorite haunts averaging 4 to 5 miles per day. Never saw a buck but got real close to 3 does. Some years it was just not meant to be. A guy in our group missed a really good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X