Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #21
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The nails are the worst. I pull them out if I have the means.
Or pound them in with a rock.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #22
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I have an umbrella strapped to my pack on many trips. They're really nice to have in and around camp when it's pouring rain for those various activities that require you to leave shelter- bathroom runs, gathering firewood, getting water, etc.

Blunt is a good company that makes lightweight yet durable hiking/backpacking umbrellas: https://bluntumbrellas.com/

Regarding who eats food they find in lean-tos... I do, pretty regularly. Provided that it's not too gross, I figure that it's the easiest way to make it disappear quickly- eat it and then carry the empty wrappers/containers out.

Nails also bother me too. I don't mind a few high up (higher than eye level) but seeing a lean-to that is covered with nails down low always bugs me.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #23
snapper
snapper

Now that I'm retired I'm working with the NY-NJ Trail Conference with their "Adopt A Lean-to" program in the Catskills. One of the things I also talk about with the new caretakers is trying to eliminate all the nails. I encourage them to bang them in with a rock or try to work them out where they can. On future trips it's advised that they bring in a hammer so the nails can be removed. Hopefully we'll be able to get rid of more as time goes on. If everyone did this, we might be able to eliminate them entirely.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Now that I'm retired I'm working with the NY-NJ Trail Conference with their "Adopt A Lean-to" program in the Catskills.
Have you thought about working with the DEC on a program to install wooden pegs in the lean-tos? I think if there were a decent alternative, fewer nails would show up on a regular basis.

I also think that in the (deserved) absence of a shelf, a small holder for the log books makes sense. Maybe something like a wood sleeve with just a dowel across the front to hold the log book in, but the rest is open so it doesn't accumulate stuff.

Sort of hard to describe so I drew a picture:

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #25
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Have you thought about working with the DEC on a program to install wooden pegs in the lean-tos? I think if there were a decent alternative, fewer nails would show up on a regular basis.

I also think that in the (deserved) absence of a shelf, a small holder for the log books makes sense. Maybe something like a wood sleeve with just a dowel across the front to hold the log book in, but the rest is open so it doesn't accumulate stuff.

Sort of hard to describe so I drew a picture:

Pillsbury lean2 has one like that now.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I have eaten canned goods left in lean2s. A friend of mine polished off 3 cans of chef-boyardee left in the Spruce lake lean2.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #27
montcalm
Mobster

Of the lean tos I can remember ATM, the ones that had pegs had no or few nails. Also the ones with no shelves had no garbage that I can remember. Only a broom inside.

Seems some of those nails (and tarps) show up over winter as people try to (illegally) close off the front of the lean to.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #28
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
A friend of mine polished off 3 cans of chef-boyardee left in the Spruce lake lean2.
I hope, for your sake, you didn't sleep in there with him.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Now that I'm retired I'm working with the NY-NJ Trail Conference with their "Adopt A Lean-to" program in the Catskills. One of the things I also talk about with the new caretakers is trying to eliminate all the nails. I encourage them to bang them in with a rock or try to work them out where they can. On future trips it's advised that they bring in a hammer so the nails can be removed. Hopefully we'll be able to get rid of more as time goes on. If everyone did this, we might be able to eliminate them entirely.

snapper
Perhaps just a small pry bar. They donít weigh much. You can lever some out with a leather man and a fulcrum.

I usually wonít pound them in unless the head snaps off. Just a habit of mine.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Someone made and left a candle holder once. It was handcrafted from a Campbells soup size can, with 2/3s of the sides cut away to make a neat little and functional windbrake and reflector. I liked it and left it with an extra votive candle.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #31
Banjoe

Met an AT thru hiker on Mt Moosilauke carrying an umbrella and have been using them ever since. Found this one when doing a gorge clean-up by my house and it survived in this sad state for almost 10 years. It went on many camping trips, and I commute on foot. I was sad to have to give it up when a second tear developed. Gotta be prudent about using them in the wind and beneath overhangs, but I consider it essential if persistent rain is expected.

I usually arrive at the lean-to on an annual winter trip a day ahead of friends and take out the nails partly just for the joy it brings me to have them arrive and complain that there aren't any to hang up all their stuff.
IMG_1923 copy.jpg
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #32
chaser
pond jockey

Alright, my bad. Didn't realize the umbrella in hiking was a thing. Never to old to learn!!!!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #33
TCD

First saw an umbrella used in 1990, by a guide on Mount Baker (North Cascades). Multi day training trip, learning alpine techniques (self arrest, crevasse rescue, etc.). Guides carried umbrellas, they were perfect for the conditions, mostly nice, but occasional cold downpours.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #34
snapper
snapper

To those who asked about a place for the log book and using pegs instead of nails; some of the shelters I've visited are already using the pegs. I have seen something similar as DSettahr & DuctTape mention above so it might be worth investigating in the future. The DEC foresters I've worked with are pretty amenable to trying to make things work without too many regulations so I've been pleased with their response.

snapper

PS - Like the pry bar idea. Now I just need to find a small one that doesn't weigh all that much.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #35
montcalm
Mobster

Snapper - there are small pry bars you can buy for trim removal. Some will have means of pulling nails. I have one or two I bought at HD.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #36
Neil
Admin

I just noticed that the title should read SHELVES not shelfs. Should this thread be shelved?
Old 10-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #37
chaser
pond jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I just noticed that the title should read SHELVES not shelfs. Should this thread be shelved?
Between the umbrella and my spelling I might develope a complex......
Old 10-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #38
MTVhike

Picky picky!
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #39
Bunchberry

This thread was the most interesting and normal thing I have read in the internet a long time.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #40
St.Regis

Bunch, I was thinking the same thing!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote