Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
cjandrle

Cranberry Lake 50

Does anyone know if there is any cell service on the Cranberry Lake 50? AT&T? I plan on hiking it this coming week. Not sure exactly how long it will take me and I'd like to be able to give someone an ETA if possible.
cjandrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Bunchberry

They have a very active and informative facebook group for the CL 50. They would know.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
TCD

I don't know about specific locations near Cranberry Lake, but in general cell service in the Adirondacks is terrible, a travesty; don't plan on it. Find another way to communicate.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
MTVhike

In general ATT is worse than Verizon in the ADKs. There are towns which were ATT only and now added Verizon, but not the other way.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Wldrns

The only travesty is people who have lost the ability to properly plan a trip and travel in the wilderness without outside electronic aid. I wonder how everyone survived and did this before the age of cell service?
Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The only travesty is people who have lost the ability to properly plan a trip and travel in the wilderness without outside electronic aid. I wonder how everyone survived and did this before the age of cell service?
They can relearn those lost skills on the CL50.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Great post, especially the last sentence.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
rdl

I generally agree with the theme of the last few posts, however every situation is different: I hesitate to travel for too long out of cell range these days with 93 and 94 year old parents.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
I generally agree with the theme of the last few posts, however every situation is different: I hesitate to travel for too long out of cell range these days with 93 and 94 year old parents.
Exactly right , and there could be a thousand other similar reasons like your example. The question was simple enough , no need to lecture , via electronic device , lol .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
Jack

I also agree with rdl, there is a place for cell phones out there. For myself and my circle of Mountain friends, we are all old and have various medical issues. Both with us and our families back home. The phone stays off until needed, if ever. I personally like to “check in” with my wife on a daily basis when the service is available. What did I / we do before the stampede of all these electronic devices. We used map and compass, stayed healthy & fit, prepared for the worst, didn’t go off plan, and yea, hoped for the best. We all still retain these skills and common sense. I personally believe the cell phone and GPS is a great tool to have in the back country.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
tenderfoot

Yes, we appreciate it as a tool. I was very surprised when conversing with a 46'r (so way more experienced than myself) who used cell extensively outside of hiking but did not understand that the GPS function on your phone will work without cell connectivity. So sure, cell coverage may be spotty but that is linked to towers. GPS is linked to, well, satellites.

Other handy tidbit is my cell sleeps with me. Not because I'm concerned about missing a text from Bill Gates, but rather the cold will sap the battery.

Last edited by tenderfoot; 09-30-2020 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #12
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
We used map and compass, stayed healthy & fit, prepared for the worst, didn’t go off plan, and yea, hoped for the best. We all still retain these skills and common sense. I personally believe the cell phone and GPS is a great tool to have in the back country.
Tools, yes, but not necessities except in extremely rare cases or during events requiring such tools (think SAR or surveying). And certainly not a travesty if not available 100%.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Jack

Well Thanks Tenderfoot! Learning these devices is a huge learning curve for me, Ha! I had no clue that the GPS function on our cell phones would work without cell connectivity. It’s true you do learn something new every day and now I can pass this on to my “old” friends.
Thanks for the info!!!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
MTVhike

Although the GPS function works with no cellular connections, the map may not. Be sure you have the map downloaded onto your phone while you still have a cellular connection. Apps designed for driving especially are poor on this matter.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
tenderfoot

Right - pre-downloaded detailed maps help. We use GAIA GPS.

I have used it with no downloaded maps and it impressed me even with the little info it had. Dark winter night looking for lean-to near Grizzle Ocean. It had the pond but not the lean-to or trails. Worked great combined with paper map.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
rdl

I used Gaia with predownloaded maps for a 100 mile, 2 week trip to the Wind River Range about 75% off trail. Turned off cellular service, powered the phone up every hour or so to verify our location, had a second battery as backup and it worked great. Had maps and compass as backup but never needed to refer to them. Even had enough battery to play some music at night to cover tentmates snoring.

Electronic devices are just another tool available. I don't expect I'll ever use my Garmin GPS again.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
Scouter
Backpacker

You will get very little service on the CL50, even less with ATT. Basically if you can't see the main part of the lake you won't have service. If you are on the shoreline, in the Hamlet of Cranberry Lake or on top of Cat Mt. you can get service.
Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote