Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
rbi99

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have made a decision and already have a room booked in Vermont that is about 9 or 10 hours from Cleveland. Next day I will have a three hour drive up to the Pilot Range and backpacking into Unknown Pond for three nights. Only 3.3 miles with about 1700' of climbing from trail head to the pond. That's a lot of elevation gain for me with a full pack on, but coming out should be pretty nice. The pond sort of reminds me of Pharaoh Lake. Of the multiple trail reports that I have read, none mentioned crowds. It is as far north as you can go in the Whites, so that probably accounts for the solitude. Nothing "flashy" there. There are several interesting day hikes from there that my dog and I will get to enjoy. At approximately 3200', Unknown Pond is up there. Highest mountain near there is Cabot which is 4170' elevation. Looking forward to this one. Next year I hope that I am physically fit enough still to get back to Colden.

Last edited by rbi99; 07-25-2020 at 09:45 PM..
rbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #22
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have made a decision and already have a room booked in Vermont that is about 9 or 10 hours from Cleveland. I'm heading up to the Pilot Range and backpacking into Unknown Pond. Only 3.3 miles with about 1700' of climbing from trail head to the pond. The pond sort of reminds me of Pharaoh Lake. Of the multiple trail reports that I have read, none mentioned crowds.
It is as far north as you can go in the Whites, so that probably accounts for the solitude. Nothing "flashy" there. There are several interesting day hikes from there that my dog and I will get to enjoy. Highest mountain near there is Cabot which is 4170' elevation. Looking forward to this one. Next year I hope that I am physically fit enough still to get back to Colden.
Please let us know how your trip goes and what that area is like.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #23
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Please let us know how your trip goes and what that area is like.
Will do.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #24
rbi99

Here a couple pictures of Unknown Pond.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 PM   #25
Woodly

Looks real nice
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #26
tenderfoot

rbi,

What about Michigan and points north? Also, regarding window of opportunity you may wish to think about paddling? And getting off the ground w/ hammock camping or maybe explore hot tenting.

If locked in your state you may wish to think about a skin on frame kayak/canoe (dave gentry, cape falcon, kudzucraft). Not a lot to carry or toss on top of car.

Or if you love the ADK (like I do) you can consider ramping up your 4 season gear (well, for me the ADK has that 5th season I call 'heck no!') when temps drop below -10F. We love the ADK's when there is snow on the ground.

Plenty of DIY projects to improve comfort and extend season!
Old 08-03-2020, 12:02 AM   #27
rbi99

My dogs aren't too cooperative when it comes to canoes and such. I have done a couple of canoe trips, but I am a feet on the ground kind of guy. This is the first time crowds were an issue for me backpacking in the Adirondacks. I go early spring, before the fall color changes, and after the leaves are down. Haven't done Colden Lake because of bear activity last two years. I am really looking forward to hiking into Unknown Pond. Though it's the Whites and not the Daks, it still looks beautiful.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #28
dockless
citizen

Well ..... found it in writing to clarify any misconceptions yesterday in a weekly letter from the DEC.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions: Pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order 205, visitors coming from travel restricted states will not be issued camping permits and will not be allowed to stay on state lands until they have completed a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Quarantining on state land is not permitted.

I'll try to copy the link to the entire newsletter......
<nysdec@public.govdelivery.com>

Maybe that's it, maybe not. Anyhow it's dated July 27,2020.

Hopefully, a lot of states will be off the list. At least enough for us to go to Canada and the EU.
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #29
MTVhike

There are 35 restricted states, plus DC and some territories. The list is here:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
From where are you coming?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #30
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
There are 35 restricted states, plus DC and some territories. The list is here:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
From where are you coming?
This was updated today. DC and DE removed, RI added. So still 35 states/territories, just not any districts
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #31
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
Well ..... found it in writing to clarify any misconceptions yesterday in a weekly letter from the DEC.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions: Pursuant to the Governorís Executive Order 205, visitors coming from travel restricted states will not be issued camping permits and will not be allowed to stay on state lands until they have completed a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Quarantining on state land is not permitted.

I'll try to copy the link to the entire newsletter......
<nysdec@public.govdelivery.com>

Maybe that's it, maybe not. Anyhow it's dated July 27,2020.

Hopefully, a lot of states will be off the list. At least enough for us to go to Canada and the EU.
That's pretty clear. It's unfortunate, but glad I decided on NH for my trip in September. Let's all hope next year things can return somewhat to normal.