Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #61
montcalm
Mobster

It'd be nice if someone built a decent, sustainable trail with some switchbacks that went up to the jumpoff on the southern section, but I wouldn't count on that unless it was done by a bike group.

I looked at the Alltrails map and it looks like the trail they show goes on private property. Maybe there is a trail there with some ROW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post

You know it wasn't that interesting when I hiked around four miles and only took six photos lol. These were the only semi-interesting parts unless you count the stream crossing at the beginning...

Knowing right where that is, it looks like that tree on the right is a nicely sized Chestnut Oak.

Makes sense to me as it's basically growing in the bedrock and there's a steep, steep slope to the right. If anyone cares to check the leaves, LMK

Last edited by montcalm; 08-09-2021 at 08:54 AM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #62
Banjoe

hikingandwildex,

Sent you a couple private messages.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #63
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
hikingandwildex,

Sent you a couple private messages.
Thanks for the head's up... just responded...
Old 08-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #64
hikingandwildex

Knocked out a whole bunch of waterfalls in Ithaca and the Southern Finger Lakes yesterday. I was out there for nearly 15 hours between sunrise and sunset. It was a fairly pleasant day outside, the bugs weren't as bad as expected, and the water flow was decent for this time of year. Glad I went!

After spending the first 1.5 hours hiking and creekwalking at Sweedler Preserve, I drove into the city where I met ADKForum member Banjoe, who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the area and led me on an outstanding four-hour tour around Ithaca that included all of the falls on Six Mile Creek, Fall Creek, and Cascadilla Creek. He also does a tremendous job of keeping the area clean, picking up bagfuls of trash left by inconsiderate visitors.

I stopped for lunch at a Korean BBQ restaurant before driving out to Edward Lake Cliffs Preserve where different trails took me to a waterfall and a nice overlook of Cayuga Lake. The highlight of this stop was a creekwalk to the base of Pocket Falls, which took me through some truly magical scenery with jaw-dropping cliffs and block-shaped boulders in and around Gulf Creek. A big thanks to Banjoe for recommending that destination which I otherwise wouldn't have known about.

I hope to return to the area in the winter or spring to visit some of the waterfalls that I didn't get around to yesterday, plus some that should have a lot more water flowing over then. The waterfalls at Sweedler Preserve, including the massive Lick Brook Falls, were mostly dry yesterday. There was a sign posted at the Emilie Jones Falls trailhead saying that the trail was closed for maintenance, so I was unable to go there. Enfield Falls at Robert Treman State Park is full of swimmers during the summer months, so I reckon that would be better seeing during the quieter winter season. And there are other waterfalls on the west side of Cayuga Lake that I would like to check out sometime. Thinking of combining Ithaca and Naples one weekend 4-6 months from now...

All in all, I took more than 250 photos and 20 videos. Still got a lot of editing to do! Here are some of my favorite scenes in and around Ithaca, with descriptions below each one:

SWEEDLER PRESERVE

First waterfall that I was able to get a decent photo of at Sweedler.

Not much water flowing over this one. Still an impressive sight.

This one could be viewed from the side of the trail.

Near the start of my creekwalk to Lick Brook Falls.

Lick Brook Falls which plunges (or trickles in this case) over 100 feet.

One of many smaller falls near the top of the preserve.

Along Tracks | Railroad Bridge | Rocky Surface | Some Incline | Waterfall Climb | Tall Cliffs | From Trail | One More

To be continued...
Old 08-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #65
hikingandwildex

SIX MILE CREEK

First Dam a.k.a. Wells Falls a.k.a. Van Natta's Falls a.k.a. Businessman's Lunch Falls

A "side waterfall" on the edge First Dam.

First Dam from down below. Unique tree roots in the foreground.

Towering cliffs on the opposite side of Six Mile Creek.

Right next to the last photo's location.

Faraway view of Second Dam with our walking path on the left side.

People actually jump into the water from those cliffs. Crazy MFers!

From Above | Ground Level | Abandoned Structure | Creekside View | Small Waterfall
Old 08-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #66
hikingandwildex

FALL CREEK

The nicest Horseshoe Falls this side of Niagara Falls!

Rocky Falls, a short ways east of Horseshoe Falls.

Sadly, many people have drowned and taken their lives at Fall Creek.

Triphammer Falls from Thurston Avenue viewpoint.

Better look at Triphammer Falls from closer up.

Selfie time at the popular Ithaca Falls.

Captured an osprey flying in front of Ithaca Falls.

Forest Falls | Ithaca Architecture | Castle Design | Cornell Dormitory | Pedestrian Bridge |
Green Bridge | Overlook Spot | Osprey Zoom | Turkey Vulture | Sagan Gravesite
Old 08-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #67
hikingandwildex

CASCADILLA CREEK

Stairway through heaven at the Cascadilla Gorge.

Water falling off the side of a cliff.

Inclines don't seem so bad when you're rewarded with scenery like this!

This scene reminded me a bit of Watkins Glen State Park.

Played around with my camera's shutter speed for this photo.

Just used the auto setting for this shot near the bridge.

Western Side | Silky Effect | Stone Arch | Near Restaurant | Urban Exercise
Old 08-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #68
hikingandwildex

EDWARD LAKE CLIFFS

Pocket Falls from above. You know I wasn't going to settle for this view!

Large square blocks on the creek's stony shore.

More blocky boulders for your viewing pleasure.

The towering cliffs in this area were quite fascinating.

They certainly deserve a closer look. Even more incredible in person!

Base of Pocket Falls. Not the greatest water flow, but decent enough.

Scenic Road | Trailhead Kiosk | Looking Down | Shallow Creek | More Creekwalking | Extraordinary Scene | Pocket Zoomed | Cayuga Lake | Sitting Spot
Old 08-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #69
montcalm
Mobster

Awesome! Glad you got that local knowledge. I know when I lived in that area (I was a tenant, not a local) I was literally driving right past a lot of great stuff I had no idea about until some locals showed me.

Pocket falls looks like a man-made quarry, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's natural.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #70
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Awesome! Glad you got that local knowledge. I know when I lived in that area (I was a tenant, not a local) I was literally driving right past a lot of great stuff I had no idea about until some locals showed me.
No doubt! I also got some good info on where to access the creekwalking route to Lick Brook Falls. Even with hardly any water flowing over, that view from down below was easily the highlight of Sweedler. Looking forward to going back in the wintertime and wearing my spikes there.

Quote:
Pocket falls looks like a man-made quarry, but correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's natural.
Historical topo maps from 1965 and 1992 do show a quarry in that area of Gulf Creek, just north of the waterfall location. I'll defer to the local experts on the waterfall itself.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #71
montcalm
Mobster

The lower falls at Treman is cool, and it is a great place to swim, but Lucifer falls is really where it's at. I think it's probably the most spectacular waterfall I've been to. Particularly from the upper rim where this pic is taken from.

Not my pic, but that spot is pretty WOW. The trail up and down, even though it's a staircase is pretty wild. It's not that busy in that part of the park. The main trail that you can see in the pic from there can get busy, but the swimming hole is really where most people are and you can access this part from the upper parking area and never even see that mess. Of course, fall, when this was taken looks like a pretty prime time to go.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #72
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The lower falls at Treman is cool, and it is a great place to swim, but Lucifer falls is really where it's at. I think it's probably the most spectacular waterfall I've been to. Particularly from the upper rim where this pic is taken from.

Not my pic, but that spot is pretty WOW. The trail up and down, even though it's a staircase is pretty wild. It's not that busy in that part of the park. The main trail that you can see in the pic from there can get busy, but the swimming hole is really where most people are and you can access this part from the upper parking area and never even see that mess. Of course, fall, when this was taken looks like a pretty prime time to go.
Lucifer was the highlight of my one and only visit to Treman many years back. That cascade seemed to go on forever. All I have is a photo from my old camera, taken at a bad time of day when the sun was reflecting too brightly off the rocks:

Old 08-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #73
montcalm
Mobster

Right on - didn't know if you had been. Personally I think that's the best of any in the area, including Taughannock. It usually looks like your pic, I think. Probably best if you can get up there right after a big rain.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:28 AM   #74
Banjoe

Chris, it was my pleasure, and I'm not sure about the "encyclopedic" knowledge, maybe more like Spark Notes. It actually pains me to hear of someone coming from far away and missing what I consider some of the lesser-known highlights. I'm always happy to get out in any of the gorges, and if I hadn't been with you I would have missed that rock fall off the cliff: that thing sounded like a gunshot for sure. And what else was there for me to do besides pick up garbage while you took all those pics?
I don't think Pocket Falls was from a quarry. That's a Cornell preserve and the kiosk would likely mention that bit of history.
Joe
bbb.jpg

bbbb.jpg

That being said, you really need to visit Frontenac next time.
9''.jpg
Taughannock1-18.jpg

Of course, the benefit of being a local anywhere is having the luxury of getting to see things at the best time. Here are a couple different views of Taughannock I was fortunate to catch.
Tremanswimmingarea.jpg
And there were no crowds at the swimming area of Treman after this storm. I can't remember if it was a tropical storm, or one of those thunderstorms that are becoming more common that dropped several inches of rain in a few hours. So far, just a steady rain today that will only increase the flow a little.
Cascadilla is closed again, no word for how long.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #75
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
Chris, it was my pleasure, and I'm not sure about the "encyclopedic" knowledge, maybe more like Spark Notes. It actually pains me to hear of someone coming from far away and missing what I consider some of the lesser-known highlights. I'm always happy to get out in any of the gorges, and if I hadn't been with you I would have missed that rock fall off the cliff: that thing sounded like a gunshot for sure. And what else was there for me to do besides pick up garbage while you took all those pics?
Your historical info and stories for each place certainly added to the experience. If I ever go back to those locations, I'll be saying in my head "That's where Joe once confronted a crackhead," "That's where he got married," "That's the dam that's unofficially named after him," "That's where someone fell to his death," and of course "that's where that loud-ass rockfall startled me the last time I was here!"

Glad I got to see Cascadilla Gorge in the short window it was open. Hopefully the Emilie Jones trail will be open the next time I'm out that way. As for Frontenac Falls, I read online that it's located at a Boy Scout camp and that permission must be obtained beforehand. Would you recommend contacting Camp Barton in advance, as suggested on the Falzguy website? Looking at the photos on that site as well as your pics, it looks like a must-see waterfall in the area.

Wow @ the volume of water flowing over Taughannock in those pics! I should put those side-by-side with the first photo I took of Taughannock when it barely qualified as a trickle!
Old 08-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #76
Lonehiker

wow you had a good day.
That whole part of the state is full of those stone bridges.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #77
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
wow you had a good day.
That whole part of the state is full of those stone bridges.
For sure! I also checked out that hang-gliding spot at Mossy Bank Park that you mentioned earlier in this thread...

Another awesome spot that I previously had no idea about...

My only regret is not taking at least one wide-angle photo with my GoPro Max from that 180-degree viewpoint. Maybe in the fall when the leaves are changing!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #78
Banjoe

Just for the record for anyone reading this thread: Confronting the crackhead and getting married were two completely different occasions.

I've never visited Frontenac during scouting season, and due to COVID there hasn't been anyone there for the last two summers. I've just gone down to the lake and walked up the stream, but the trail passes the archery and shooting ranges so if scouts are there, do check in at the ranger cabin.

As far as places I've never known about: I just had my mind blown by this video of a spot I've biked past many times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIebhWL1mog
Old 08-17-2021, 07:57 PM   #79
montcalm
Mobster

Is there a scout badge for skewering a trespasser?
Old 08-17-2021, 11:33 PM   #80
Lonehiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post
For sure! I also checked out that hang-gliding spot at Mossy Bank Park that you mentioned earlier in this thread...

Another awesome spot that I previously had no idea about...

My only regret is not taking at least one wide-angle photo with my GoPro Max from that 180-degree viewpoint. Maybe in the fall when the leaves are changing!

Glad you liked it.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote