Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

An audiobook about canoe trips and starvation

This winter I have been even more of a troglodyte than usual, since the monthly contradances I used to attend are cancelled due to COVID and we can't visit people or be visited by them. I was thinking about taking up a new hobby of some sort when it occurred to me that now might be the time to try recording a book for LibriVox. LibriVox is a site that offers free recordings of books that are in the public domain, read by volunteers. I spend a lot of time in the woodworking shop, and my 'day job' also involves a lot of loud things, so I spend a lot of time wearing earmuffs to save my hearing, and listening to audiobooks.

When I was reading an old (1980s) National Geographic last fall while waiting at the garage for our car to be worked on I read an article on Labrador. It mentioned a book from 1908 that was written by a woman who was the first person to accurately map some of the main interior rivers, after her husband had died while attempting the same trip in an earlier year. I found that the book hadn't been recorded yet, so I decided to give it a try. I got done in January, and it's now available online. It's a free download, and I'll put a link in below in case anyone here might be interested.

A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
TrailBlaser

I have the book and have read it twice because it is so engaging. If you enjoyed it, there are two other books that might be of interest:
- The Lure of the Labrador Wild by Dillon Wallace
- Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure by James West Davidson and John Rugge
Old 02-02-2021, 11:46 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look for Great Heart in our library system. I listened to the first quarter of The Lure... and it seemed to be very much the same material as is found in Leonidas Hubbard's diary, only somewhat padded out, so I didn't finish though I may at some point. After having read the book once, and then recorded it, then edited it, and finally listened back over the finished files it got to seem like a thrice told tale. Wallace wrote some other books about later trips to Labrador and other places, but I haven't read any of them yet, and they're not on LbriVox yet or I would listen to them.
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote