Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Creekwader
Snag Locator

ATVs-Opinions?

Thought I'd bring up this issue as the conflict seems to be ratcheting upward. I posted some links below that some may find of interest. The RCPA report on ATVs is in the first link and the second is some press on the report from Plattsburgh. The third is from a property rights group that has some links to pro-motorized access sites.

I'm curious to hear what the hiking community thinks of ATVs and their use in the forest preserve. Having been on several of the trails the RCPA report highlights I can vouch for the damage, it's severe in some spots. For that reason I think they should be banned. The 'equal access' that the pro-ATV crowd touts as their cornerstone actually becomes ATV access only because they're the only ones that can use the trails.

What do y'all think?

http://www.adirondackresidents.org/

http://www.pressrepublican.com/Archi...12212003ed.htm

http://prfamerica.org/SportsmansRally8-16-2003.html
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

I think that they do not belong on any land that anyone cares about.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
morrell12

Quote:
I think that they do not belong on any land that anyone cares about.
Well stated ALPINE!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
Kubik

No where ..No time.. No how....

absolutely not anywhere........

a useless recreational toy... darn few industrial or agricultural uses that are efficient or necessary

frankly i don't even like mt bikes and what they do to the land at least they don't spew poison....

no snowmobiles either for recreation
Kubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #5
morrell12

Kubik

A big contreversy right now is the use of snowmobiles in Yellowstone. I feel the same way it destroys the environment and is rough on noise for the wildlife!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
rondak100
Mike

A place for everything...

...not just walkers. Mt bikes don't make much noise.
Hikers feet tear up the land too.

The group in the link above singles out Jet sKis among motorized watercraft; That bothers me. If you can have motorboats you should be able to have Jet skis. I am against 2 stroke engines in wilderness areas. People who want to explore on ATV's shpuld have their trails to do so, same with SUV's, mountain bikes ect.

Everyone can be accomodated and responsible use can be taught.

Mike
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
Silverback
Dazed and Confused

"Hiker's feet tear up the land too"

I don't think that hiker's feet tear up the land, or disturb the wildlife, in anywhere near the fashion of an ATV.

The main thrill of an ATV to ATV'ers is to explore "off trail". To establish trails for them, I would think, would be counter-productive. It would be equivalent to paving more roads through the Adirondacks.

I hate to step on anyone's freedoms to do anything, but when an excercise of a freedom causes the freedoms of others to be violated (such as the right to a peaceful environment unspoiled by machinery), I draw the line. We have so few places like the Adirondacks, and so many places where machinery runs rampant, I think in the best interest of "balance", that ATV's should be banned from the preserve's back country.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:56 PM   #8
Volte
Old Enough to Know Better

Folks,

Regardless of whether ATV’s tear up more land than a hikers feet or mountain bike tires, we DO NOT need more motorized vehicles allowed in the Adirondacks. At best, when people run motorized vehicles of any type in the Adirondacks, they are essentially removing the wilderness from the backcountry for the duration their equipment is in operation. Even worse is the distruction to the geography and the disturbance of plants and animals done by these "Wreck Reational Toys".

There is no wilderness with motorized vehicles.

Regards,
Joe
Volte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
fvrwld

(Sorry...couldn't help myself)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
mink

I certainly don't think atv's should be allowed on hiking trails...they destroy them!

I hiked the "old trail" to Lyon on tuesday and was disappointed to see atv tracks all the way to the old observer's cabin (as if the trail needs to be eroded any more). I am now hoping this becomes a wilderness area, though it would be sad if they took the fire tower down in the process.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post

Ha-ha, I thought the thread was brand-spankin' new.

Anyway, ATVs and snowmobiles are in two entirely different classes in my book.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Geez, I thought someone hijacked my account!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
I certainly don't think atv's should be allowed on hiking trails...they destroy them!

I hiked the "old trail" to Lyon on tuesday and was disappointed to see atv tracks all the way to the old observer's cabin (as if the trail needs to be eroded any more). I am now hoping this becomes a wilderness area, though it would be sad if they took the fire tower down in the process.
I heard that the rangers in times past would use a 4 wheeler to get to the fire tower [Lyon Mt.] I thought ATV's were not allowed on trails.It seems there are plenty of ''log roads'' folks with atv's could use in stead of trails,In my opinion. looncry
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
geogymn

I know several people with ATVs. They are useful tools. They don't belong in the last place were you might find peace from the ubiquitous drone of the motor. I am more tolerant of the torn up earth than I am of that constant speed up pace of that obnoxious noise.
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post

Good one!! I cleaned my glasses three times before I was able to confirm that the O.P. was 2003, not 2008.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
Neil
Admin

If you don't like the subject don't click on it.

HAHAHAHAHA........................................ ....! jk Check the thread number.

When ATV's are soundless, don't touch the ground and run on a solar battery and my hips and knees are destroyed by arthritis I might think they belong in the wilderness.

Until then, I hope they don't put a filling station in at Lake Colden.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubik View Post
absolutely not anywhere........
Really, absolutely no motorized vehicles anywhere? You plan on parking your car at the edge of the park?

Quote:
a useless recreational toy... darn few industrial or agricultural uses that are efficient or necessary
You obviously have no imagination and/or have performed very little agricultural or manual labor.

Quote:
frankly i don't even like mt bikes and what they do to the land at least they don't spew poison....
Thanks for being Frank. Do you own a car, a lawnmower? Do you use non-manufactured goods? How is your electricity generated? I bet you 'spew' a fair amount of poison yourself. Frankly, I don't like having herd-paths and lean-to's all through the park. I can guarantee that the land is equally or less affected (overall) by mountain bikes than by hiking.

Quote:
no snowmobiles either for recreation
Anything else you would like to lay your negativity on?

----------------------------------------

Look, I understand that motor vehicles & atv's do not belong everywhere, I also get just as annoyed when they zip up and down the dirt road near our camp. However, it is not every single driver that is causing the problem - just as it is not every hiker leaving garbage in the park or leaving their trashed boats at your favorite pond.

Having such an extremist negative attitude is exactly why there is so much turmoil surrounding topics like this. It causes an extreme opposite reaction from others who may not have thought one way or the other originally.

It slays me that people, in general, have such a hard time finding balance points on issues. Our governing leaders being some of the worst of the bunch.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
Really, absolutely no motorized vehicles anywhere? You plan on parking your car at the edge of the park?
As you have your "conversation" with Kubik, keep in mind that he/she hasn't been on the board in almost four years!

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

In the Adirondacks, the soil isn't very well suited to motorized vehicle use. ATVs and ORVs tend to rip up the soil, creating deep ruts and muddy spots. I feel that any person respectful of the resources in the Adirondacks would realize the negative affects that ATVs have upon those resources, and the therefore limited usefulness they have in the northeast.

However, in other areas with differing ecosystems, it's a different story. Erosion is still an issue when dealing with ORV use, but the effects are significantly reduced. I feel that there are backcountry areas other than "designated wilderness" within the US in which responsible ORV use does have a place.

A good example of this is the Mojave Road in the Mojave National Preserve. I've done some mapping of the road, and it really didn't look any different than a hiking trail (albeit a little bit wider). In fact, most of the hiking trails in the High Peaks look worse for wear than the Mojave Road does. Without the mud and muck of the northeast, the desert climate is well suited to withstanding impact from wheeled vehicles being used responsibly. Just like any hiking trail in the northeast, there are also local citizen groups that put in volunteer time and effort into maintaining the road and the resources of the preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrell12 View Post
A big contreversy right now is the use of snowmobiles in Yellowstone. I feel the same way it destroys the environment and is rough on noise for the wildlife!
I know that this comment was made ages ago, and the poster is no longer registered, but I think it's worth noting, that a study has shown that because of the noise, snowmobiles actually cause less stress in deer populations than cross country skiers do. The deer can hear the snowmobiles coming from farther away and are more readily able to move out of the way before the snowmobile actually comes upon them. Skiers are much quieter, however, and tend to surprise the deer and cause greater stress during the already stressful winter.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
As you have your "conversation" with Kubik, keep in mind that he/she hasn't been on the board in almost four years!

Dick
Haha.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote