Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Telemarkmike

GIS Campsite Data

GIS campsite data is now available as a download for GIS or Google Earth, thanks to Fatriver of the ADK High Peaks forum. The data is incomplete, but what is there is pretty good.

You can find it by going to aprgis.org, open the interactive map, check the campsite box to view data. To download data, click the "download center" tab, scroll to campsite, and choose your download format choice.

I think this is great news that some folks might be interested in.

The original thread talking about this is on the ADK High Peaks forum at:
http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/s...284#post235284
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I posted this response on ADKHighPeaks as well, reposting it here because the following is important stuff that people need to know before using this information.

I would caution everyone and anyone using this data: Just because a campsite is listed in this file, doesn't necessarily mean it's a legal place to camp. Designated sites can and do change over time. Some of them are closed down due to overuse and abuse. Some of the sites in this file were never legal sites to begin with- it's likely that they were GPS'ed as part of an inventory of existing facilities prior to implementing management plans.

Anyone who plans to camp at a specific spot in the backcountry has the responsibility to evaluate said site when they arrive to make sure it's legit. Just because a site obviously gets regular use, and just because someone said a site is legal doesn't mean it's actually legal to camp there. Look for the yellow plastic "camp here" disc- it's the best way to be sure. And you should always have a backup plan just in case your planned destination for the night doesn't pan out.

Best way to make sure a campsite is legit? Make a phone call to the DEC a week or two prior to your trip. Try to get in touch with the ranger who patrols that area; they can tell you for sure if a site is legal or not.

In just browsing through that layer, I already see multiple sites shown that aren't legal. Montcalm Point, west side of the East Sacandaga River, Whitney Lake, Cedar Lake Dam, Mud Lake, etc. As I scroll through the map, it's pretty obvious that this is a layer showing campsites that exist, regardless of legality or designation.

Also I'm pretty sure that quite a few of those are actually lean-tos (like Black Mountain Pond, West Lake, etc). The DEC's official stance is that a lean-to is not the same thing as a designated tent site- tent's are not permitted adjacent to lean-tos, they must be 150 feet away.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Telemarkmike

@DSettahr - Thanks. I agree fully. I should have added your advisory. Essentially, you can't believe everything you see or read in print or on the internet.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
@DSettahr - Thanks. I agree fully. I should have added your advisory. Essentially, you can't believe everything you see or read in print or on the internet.
No???? IM SHOCKED.....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gis campsite data