Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
mossarden

Little Brown Bat

I live in Lake George and visit lots of places in the ADKS ....Haven't seen any bats lately. Is anyone seeing bats these days up here? I realize there populations have dropped dramatically because of White Nose Syndrome. Any good news that they are surviving or are they just gone?
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
skillzman1

I see them occasionally while servicing customers houses during work days. They usually scare the daylights out of me when I'm crawling thru a dark attic.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I saw a few dozen last year in (on?) Chimney Mt.
Clarksville Caves has few survivors...
I have read that Howe's Cavern bats are making somewhat of a comeback.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Wldrns

Back in college days I was part of a cave mapping team for several years. A then famous cave we explored and mapped considerable new passage in was Skull, along with McFails in Schoharie County. Once well inside the long stoop walk entry passage, Skull was famous for its multiple narrow but very high vertical fissures, known as f, f' (f-prime), through f''''. Squeezing through the f passages at times of the year the walls were literally covered with a tapestry of bat bodies. Thousands of them, completely blanketing the f walls, all screeching at us as we passed by.

We also timed our entry and exit through the long craw/stoop walk entry passage to not be at dusk, as we tended to block their passage in and out. They would fly up to us and through any gap next to us, but never touched or otherwise bothered us.

Clarksville was a good training cave for newbies. Particularly the "flush".
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
mossarden

We sure could use those bug-eaters now.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
BushwhackingFool

Vanishing bats

I have not seen any bats in the Adirondacks in several years, definitely not since 2010. In 2010, at both Threemile Beaver Meadow and Bear Pond, I saw a few bats, though it seemed like less than in past trips to those areas. In 2011, when I journeyed to Oven Lake in the Five Ponds Wilderness, I made a point on several occasions to stay up later to look for them, despite the hordes of mosquitoes present. Never saw a single one. This year, I tried again while exploring the area between the South Ponds and Crooked Lake, still no luck.
I did see one flying around north of Liverpool (in the Syracuse area) a few weeks ago; it was the first one I have seen in years!
BushwhackingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
gorpot

I have had brown bats in my garage for years. I built a couple of bat boxes, and attached them to the two peaks of my garage, and then tried to seal up the area they were getting in my garage. I like to keep the bats around, because they keep the Mosquitos at bay. I can tell you I have as many at as I have ever had, if not more. Just tonight my wife and I counted over 70 bat that came out of each box, plus many more still call my garage there home. The white nose fungus disease did not kill any of my bats. If anyone wants some, come take some of mine. I do use the bat crap to fertilize my garden.
gorpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Jackson

I saw a few small bats around Onchioto last week. Not a whole lot, maybe 7 or 8 total.
It was right about dusk.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
dundee

Saw 2-3 last year, but none this year.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Zoidberg

Last week a friend and I found one drowning in the West Canada Creek while fly fishing. We snagged it in a landing net and released it up on shore carefully. He was winded and scared but alive! Must have caught a draft and accidently dropped too low? Who knows! Looked healthy and he lives to eat another day.
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
St.Regis

I'm happy to say that I've seen more bats this year than in the last few years, and most have been LBBs. I'm really hoping they make a strong comeback. Great buggers for sure!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
iangoround

I've seen tons of bats around dusk while driving, but I can't be sure if they're little brown bats. They probably are, but I can't say that conclusively.
iangoround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
SESZOO

We're on the northern edges of the Adks. and there's one that flies around at dusk ,10 yrs. ago we had probably 15 /20 everynight ,.A lot of fun watching them going after the bugs. So definitely a lot less not sure if it's the white nose or insectacide poisening of the bugs and in turn getting rid of the bats ,even the bat houses haven't helped , Just read a note a couple of days ago from a friend,who's a farmer in West. Mass who was commenting on the same thing and about how he hasn't seen too many either as compared to 15/20 yrs back. So it seems too be all over . On a side note we've also noticed a drop in our swallow population this year as compared to yrs. back, Along with the bees it seems nature is taking a hit over what we can remember from years ago.
SESZOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anyone seeing bats?