Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Gray-July 7 to 9

My son John and I hiked from the Upper Works trailhead to the Flowed Lands Lean-to and set up camp. We had our dinner near the breached dam and then stashed our bear canister a good distance away from the lean-to. In spite of some bear related noise behind the lean-to we were able to enjoy a good nights rest. The next morning we woke, found our bear canister (the position of which had been changed during the evening), had breakfast and set out for Gray Peak.

As many of you know, hiking with kids is a very different experience from hiking solo or with other adults. At 10, my son is interested in just about everything he sees along the way. On this trip, his biggest interests were the many frogs that were crossing our path. He also loved all the streams and suspension bridges. In short, like most kids, his main objective was not to get from point A to point B but instead to just to have fun. My main objective was to enjoy this time with him, go with the flow and keep it fun.

Our hike up the Opalescent from Colden Dam was (as always) just great. We stopped pumped water and took a swim under the suspension bridge. Further along, we met a few people by Uphill lean-to whose water pump had become nonfunctional so we pumped several liters of water for them to help them on their way down.

After reaching Lake Tear we started up Gray. It is a nice hike with a few interesting rock scrambles. At the famous rock wall I looked for the easy way up but for some reason was just did not see the way. After a minute or so of study my son and I went up. It was easier for him with his 70 pound frame then it was for me at 220. In spite of our relative difficulties with the rock wall, we soon found ourselves at the summit.

I donít care how any of the views from the high peaks are rated, I love them all and Gray is no exception. The views were fantastic and to this end, Iíll just let the pictures do the talking.

Colden and the MacIntyre Range beyond

Skylight

Bushwack anyone?

Recognize the shirt?

On the way down we were easily able to find the workaround to avoid the scramble on the rock wall. It seemed like 10 minutes later we were back at Lake Tear and also back to hunting for frogs and snakes.

That evening back at the Flowed Lands Lean-to we shared our spot with a really nice pair of college students who had just finished Allen. Just like we had done earlier, they went down to have their dinner by the water. However unlike our dinner experience, they had a bear as a dinner guest. Having the good sense to do so they just walked away and the bear came by and ate all of their food with the exception of their jalapeŮos. Not surprising the bear was able to open a flip top can of chili. Iím sure that the chili was just horíderves for the bear as it made its way towards the Calamity Lean-to and beyond.

Grey makes 3 for my big guy and 45 for me. Allen awaits.

Mini-golf by Calamity Brook

starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
SummitHat
That was fun

Awesome adventure packed with things you and your son will be able to talk about for years to come. Congratulations most of all on a great trip with your son, for the assistance you provided your fellow hikers, and for being in a position to celebrate atop Allen in the near future!
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starzero View Post
At 10, my son is interested in just about everything he sees along the way.
Something to aspire to at any age.
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
mink

Congrats on Gray and on #45! Glad you guys had fun...I've been thinking of taking my daughter on a short easy hike (Elephant Head) to get her started at hiking (she's only 2 1/2 though).

Congrats in advance on your finish on Allen!
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
SpamTin
SpamTin

Very nice post - Gray as one of his first three, impressive (I haven't even done it yet). It'll make me remember to stop and look at the frogs...ok, maybe after 26 more so I can get my 46 first. Have fun with your own #46 on Allen.
SpamTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
KeanGrad

Great post Star, you have brought back many memories of my daughter and I and our many hikes in the ADK's. I have a few pictures of her on that same suspension bridge. You really hit a bullseye with the frogs etc. By the time we were done with a 3-4 day trip she had have tallies of all the frogs and other assorted wildlife she spotted. Ah, to be 10 again. We are actually leaving this Sunday for the West Canada Lakes for 5 days and it will be our 14th year of a "dad & daughter only" trip. What a great experience and great memories.

BTW, I like the shirt, got one just like it.
KeanGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Naturlvr73

Wow! Great trip report StarZero!!! Congratulations on no 45 and on a great trip with your son! We tent camped at FL at the designated site overlooking the water June29-July 1. We didn't see any bears, but a suspected Pine Marten ripped up my husband's new day pack.
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Naturlvr73

PS Yay for suspension bridges
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote