Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Santanonis – 6-25-10

Let me start off by thanking Kyler who provided me with some very useful information for this hike and also send a shout out to KurtVon whose recent Santanoni trip report was also very informative and fun to read.

I got off to a late start leaving the trailhead towards Bradley Pond at 7:30 AM. Along the way, I met a hiker who had entered the previous day and lost his way. As a result he had spent an uncomfortable evening by a stream. He looked a bit frazzled but was otherwise ok.

When I reached the carin marking the start to the “New Old Trail”, I considered going up that way, however right away I noted a stream crossing that would require me to take off my boots. Rather than deal with that, I made the decision instead to head up Panther Brook. This was a decision that I found myself second guessing during the day but in the end (for reasons I will explain later), I realized that I had made the best choice.

I was soon on the Panther Brook trail. I found the trail to be quite beautiful providing some excellent views of Bradley Pond on the way up. Here is a view of the brook itself.

At Herald Square I went off to see the summit of Panther. This was a short walk. The views from the side of Panther are spectacular.

Coming off Panther I proceeded to Times Square and then off to Couchsachraga. As many of you know a lot of elevation is lost on this part of the hike. It took me about an hour and a half to reach the summit. Although the views from Couchsachraga are not the best there are some really awesome views along the way. Also for all you swamp lovers out there, there is stretch of this path that you will not find disappointing.

I love the old sign at the summit of Couchsachraga. Makes you feel like you have really travelled somewhere far off and special.

I had lunch at the summit of Couchsachraga and then headed back. Back at Times Square I met a couple of guys who obviously knew there way around better then I do. I asked for some advice on where to find the “New Old Trail” on the way to Santononi. I have to say that if it were not for their advice I might not have seen the start of this trail.

Hiking over to Santanoni from TS was just great. For once I had the nice experience of expecting to be on a false summit and then being surprised to find the summit sign. The views were awesome, unfortunately the camera that I bought from Stewarts was out of film. (Accidently left the digital at home.)

To find the “New Old Trail” there is one orange flagging. Even with the flag, I at first found myself a bit unsure as the start of the trail near the top of Santanoni is somewhat overgrown. It does however quickly get easier to follow. On the way down there is a great rock wall with a rope to provide help.

Worthy of note is the fact that right near the bottom there is a very swampy that needs to walked around. At the end of the swamp there again is some flagging to that helped me to get back on track. However, flagging or not, the fun stuff is not quite over. The trail to the stream crossing is some yards of calf high water. Between this and the stream crossing it is hard not to get your feet wet. For this reason I would recommend that anyone planning this loop go up via Panther Brook and down via the “New Old Trail”, as you would not want to start the day by getting your feet wet.

All in all it was a great day, this makes number 44 for me.

I will definitely be back.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
SummitHat
That was fun

Congratulations on #44! The Santanonis are legendary for their muddy challenges, but offer great views and adventure.
What peak will you complete your 46 on?
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
starzero

Thanks SummitHat, I have Gray and Allen to complete.

My plan is to camp with my son (he’s 10) probably near Flowed Lands and then do Grey and Skylight with him on day 1. If all goes well, we will do Allen on day 2. I would like the campsite that we pick to maximize both his enjoyment of the trip and at the same time take a mile or so off the trip to Allen. Flowed lands or just south of Hanging Spear Falls (as discussed recently on the other forum) might fit the bill. I am of course open to any other suggestions.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
billandjudy
SnowTime

Nice TR and congrats! You even had blue skies..
last time we were there there was a way around the rock wall...Coming down there is a jct in the HP..If you go left it leads around to the bottom of the wall
Cats#1668/1669 and Cats HH- ADK#6338
http://billc926.smugmug.com/Nature
billandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
mink

Congrats on #44 and nice photos! So does the "New Old Trail" save any distance, or would it be quicker to stick with the other path?
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
starzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
So does the "New Old Trail" save any distance, or would it be quicker to stick with the other path?
I guess it depends what you mean.

If you hike to all three peaks and use the “New Old Trail” as part of a loop as opposed to just going up and down via Panther Brook I would estimate that you save approximately 1.5 to 1.7 miles. (1.0 for the return trip from Santanoni to Times Square and then 0.7 on the marked trail from the Panther Brook trail to the “New Old Trail”).

On the other hand if you are just interested in the distances of the two herd paths, while I have not measured the distances, from my walking experience they seemed about same. I know that other forum members would be able to provide an exact comparaison of the distances.

Aside from distances, loops are fun to hike as you get to see the terrain from more perspectives.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mink View Post
Congrats on #44 and nice photos! So does the "New Old Trail" save any distance, or would it be quicker to stick with the other path?
The New/Old trail is a shorter route between the trailhead and Santanoni.
The Panther Brook trail is a shorter route between the trailhead and Panther and Couchsachraga.

As starzero pointed out, you can use both paths in a loop to save distance when going to all three summits. Using either path exclusively for all three peaks is longer than the loop.
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
mink

I looked a little when on the summit of Santanoni, but couldn't find it. I did notice the start of it marked by the rock cairn.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
towny

Alternate Route to Times Square?

Have any of you tried a direct line from the stream crossing where the "New Old Trail" joins the Bradley Pond Trail to Panther Brook? This idea would join Panther Brook at the same location but come from the opposite side of Bradley Pond.
I first did the Santanoni's when the preferred route was the NOT--remember the crossing as fairly dry!
towny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Kyler
Admin

Looks like you had a good day. Congrats on 44.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
towny

Answered my own question--don think about it!
towny is offline   Reply With Quote