Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Seward Donaldson and Emmons 6-11-10

Hiked Seward Donaldson and Emmons on Friday. It was a great day. Temperature, not too hot or cool, few bugs, and a good amount of mud. During the day I made it a point to drink a lot of water, snack frequently and take my time. The result was that I was able to keep my energy up and enjoy the day from the start to the very end.

The route I took was to hike up the Ward Brook trail. In the past I have heard that this trail is steep and tough. Because of these previous reports, in my mind I overestimated the difficulty of the trail. Long story short I found this route to be much more fun than difficult. I pumped some water in the brook and at various points took some pictures of the nice views this trail has to offer.

Ward Brook Trail rocky section.

View as one ascends the Ward Brook Trail.

I reached the summit of Seward at noon. The view on the way down from Seward to Donaldson nicely framed where I would be during the next three and a half hours. At a few points during the descent, I believe you can see on the side of Donaldson the exact point where the Calkins Brook Trail intersects the ridge trail. Also in the distance I believe is Tupper Lake.

Donaldson and Emmons in the distance.

Getting Closer.

I could have set my watch by my arrival times, arriving at Donaldson at 1 PM, Emmons at 2PM and then back at Donaldson at 3PM.

The view of Seward from Donaldson and the surrounding area is dramatic.

My return trip was via the Calkins Brook Trail. While this saved me a climb back up Seward it does (as many of you know) deposit you at a very low point of the truck trail so you have to pay the elevation gain piper one way or another.

My only hiking buddy for the weekend.

Last edited by starzero; 06-14-2010 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: grammer
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

NIce hike! We decided to run those uphill sections on the truck trail at the end of our Seward hike, just to get the uphill over with!!

BTW, that's Long Lake you can see over Donaldson/Emmons.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
GrayMarshall

Great photos of a beautiful set of mountains. We did them up and down from Calkins Brook and encountered a lot of folks who had come up Seward from the truck trail with bad tales of wet muddy and steep, so we were content with our route.

Nice hiking partner! I hear that there was a snapping turtle nesting just off the side of River Road during the Lake Placid marathon on Sunday, so it's their time to be up and out.

enjoy,
Marshall
GrayMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
billandjudy
SnowTime

Having done Seward from North and South...Summer and Winter..I like the North approach...Just more fun
Cats#1668/1669 and Cats HH- ADK#6338
http://billc926.smugmug.com/Nature
billandjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
adkjack
Admin

Nice Trip report and great pics. The sewards on a nice day is a gist that just seemingly gets better with time and distance.
It was nice meeting you at the Jackrabbit. Even if I am terrible with remebering real names
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Naturlvr73

Great report Starzero! Your pictures are amazing! I remember getting some advice from you a couple of summers ago when we were doing 3 of the Dixes. We actually got Donaldson last fall via Calkins brook (long story) so we have to return this summer to do D again, get E and do S. We were actually planning to do it the Gray Marshall way...hike in Calkins Brook, camp then do S, D,E, D again head back to camp , eat and enjoy a legal Adirondack campfire....its been a long time. I welcome any opinions on this route!
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Naturlvr73

PS quick question...does thre trail go right througth the brook or along side it?
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
mink

Nice TR and photos! I look forward to hiking this tomorrow via the same route.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. Naturlvr73 I sent you a PM with a few comments that you might find of use. Mink you have a great day and let us know how it goes if you have time.

I think there is something special about the Sewards area. Perhaps it is a bit more quiet than other areas in the High Peaks or maybe its the easy feeling I get walking in the woods along the nice and easy Blueberry Foot path. At any rate I wont question it too much.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote