Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
looncry

Recycling program

I would like to thank members who see this issue as important and do something about it.
I know that it takes effort to recycle.
It is a good pattern to follow for the next generation to follow. looncry
Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
mink

I recycle as much as I can at home.

I also clean various bits of garbage (beer cans, cups, plastic bottles) off from the old trail to Lyon. Since I hike this peak quite often I feel responsible to at least do some light maintenance!
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
looncry

Lyon Mt. tranfer station is open Wed and Sat in the summer!
I bring old plastic jugs[25] to the spring-fed pipe near our camp to retrieve water
and save the jugs for other uses as well.
Recycle what you can! Looncry
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Not just trash that should be recycled. We live in a "disposable society" Rather then repair, or find other uses for things, they get thrown away. This not only adds to the trash that must be disposed of, it also makes a bigger dent in your wallet or pocketbook.

Sewing, gluing, dyeing, and finding other uses for items that no longer serve their original purpose can be a substantial chunk of change over a years time. Worn out socks can make a nice water bottle snuggie, empty sour cream, cottage cheese etc, containers make nice lightweight backpacking dishes. Pill bottlees make nice small part containers (or backpacking spice containers).

So, recycling can be a win-win situation.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Not just trash that should be recycled. We live in a "disposable society" Rather then repair, or find other uses for things, they get thrown away. This not only adds to the trash that must be disposed of, it also makes a bigger dent in your wallet or pocketbook.

Sewing, gluing, dyeing, and finding other uses for items that no longer serve their original purpose can be a substantial chunk of change over a years time. Worn out socks can make a nice water bottle snuggie, empty sour cream, cottage cheese etc, containers make nice lightweight backpacking dishes. Pill bottlees make nice small part containers (or backpacking spice containers).

Hawk
''think before you throw something out'' Looncry
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

My wife is threatening to call the "Hoarders" tv crew on me as I will keep anything that I think I can use for another purpose at some point in the future.

ie... I recently have used a chapstick container to fix the tailgate on my bronco II.

I inherited it (the trait, not the chapstick) from my parents who both inherited it from their parents - who grew up through the great depression. When, buying a pair of shoes for one of the children was a big family purchase.

I heard a fantastic saying from one of my dad's older friends - he said, that during the great depression money was so tight that one would squeeze a nickel 'til the buffalo sh*t.

I agree with hawk - disposable society is the problem - and I see it as one of the country's biggest - underlying cause stems from both laziness and being removed from our environment. Where does your trash go when you put it on the curb?

My wife calls ma a recycle nazi, in that I am always nagging her about it. If you really want to ruin your day, take a trip to any major landfil and look at all the crap that goes into it - recyclable and non.

Last edited by sp_nyp; 05-10-2010 at 12:44 PM..
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Troy64

You might be a recycler if ....

... you have a salad bowl set that says "Cool Whip" on the side.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
If you really want to help the planet stop buying so much stuff.You can live without most things anyway.Exceptions would be food,toilet paper,beer,guns,fishing and camping supplies,knives.
You forgot chips
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You forgot chips
And Hawk Vittles!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
If you really want to help the planet stop buying so much stuff.You can live without most things anyway.Exceptions would be food,toilet paper,beer,guns,fishing and camping supplies,knives.
What HE said.

ED
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy64 View Post
You might be a recycler if ....

... you have a salad bowl set that says "Cool Whip" on the side.

I use ''plastics'' for fruit storage in the frige.
Don't 4get many recycling centers are taking 8 cents for metal cans! Looncry
Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
redhawk

You can get $8 for recycling old batteries at a salvage yard, rather then pay the landfill to dispose of it.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

This recycling topic may ultimately wander too far OT for the forum, so I'd like to add my rant before it's too late
and the thread is squashed. I don't even know if I may be too new on the forum to rant but here goes.

I am a big proponent of recycling. All good thoughts/comments shared above. It's admirable in today's society to
not only reduce, reuse and recycle but also to promote it, and it indeed bothers me to see the waste being made of
our resources.

But I am also a pragmatist. Perhaps this is because I am in business in sales and I know that you have to give the
customer what the customer wants or there will be no sale.

I live in a county that has one of the highest household recycling participation rates in New York State. They have
made it easy to do so. They have publicized it since Day One for over a decade. They are quite regularly in the
news and therefore in mind. AND...this is important...they accept everything that is legitimately recycleable.

When I bought my ADK camp I went out and got bins to sort recyclables and was happy as a clam about it. When I
showed up at the transfer station big signs greeted me with 'only #1 & #2 plastics', 'NO glossies', 'NO foreign
cardboard', NO this and NO that. I was astonished. Now I have to make a decision: do I truck everything 3-4 hours
back home to put in the bins there or do I take the easy way out and dump it in the very convenient trash barrels
next to the recycle containers. After all, folks, it is just a little bit of camp stuff. Am I now pre-sorting ADK
vs. home recycling?

No one should be forced into a decision like that but the facts are recyclables are a commodity just like the
merchandise I sell. There must be a resale market for it or it is garbage and gets trucked to a landfill. It is
all good and well that we as individuals behave responsibly, and, sure, if everybody did it the world would be a
wonderful place. But that is not the real world. Recycling must be made desireable and encouraged and IMO forcing
me to separate my materials and turning back with 3/4 of the stuff I bring to the ADK transfer station isn't sending
the message that, yeah, we recycle. Actually it's now become a PITA.

We as individuals can and should continue to individually strive to divert as much as possible from landfills, but
there needs to be a larger and more concentrated business effort put into recycling management or it will just
continue to pitter-patter along, everyone singing 'Well, I Did My Part'.

Now, for more pragmatism. I don't live very far from Seneca Meadows landfill. Anyone who lives in that town will
likely tell you that garbage is a good thing. Why? They accept so much garbage from all over the state that there
are no taxes in the town. Wouldn't you love to not pay taxes? Is it worth promoting garbage to do so? Some
evidently think so. Pragmatists all.

Sorry, but this was a hot-button for me & I'm just getting my feet wet on ADK Forum. Don't mean to offend. Be gentle with me...

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
looncry

You make good points.Sometimes,I wonder why the ''transfer'' station is open Wed/Sat in the summer in Chateaugay.Oh well,but then,at least there IS one.
the cost is $3.00 a bag,so Paul used to squish as much ''bags'' as he could in one bag.
Transparent,of course,though black garbage bags are cheaper.
The fireplace at camp takes care of paper products. looncry
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

The fireplace at camp takes care of paper products. looncry[/QUOTE]

That, my dear, is illegal.

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrok View Post
Quote:
The fireplace at camp takes care of paper products. looncry
That, my dear, is illegal.
Shhhh
Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:

Hawk

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without!

Like Hawk says, good for the the environment and your wallet.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote