Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
hikingandwildex

New York Waterfalls (And Food & Drink!)

"There are more waterfalls in Upstate New York than in any place in the east." - Robert Dineen, New York State Geological Survey glacial geologist

New York has an abundance of waterfalls scattered throughout the state, including some truly spectacular ones like Niagara, Taughannock, Chittenango, Kaaterskill, Salmon River, and OK Slip Falls to name a few. For the past fifteen years, I have visited nearly 100 waterfalls in the western half of New York State and still haven't gotten around to every notable, publicly-accessible waterfall in the region. There is no shortage of falls to explore in these parts!

In the late-2000s and early-2010s, waterfalling was my outdoors obsession. Armed with informative guides such as NYFalls.com, Falzguy's website, Go Waterfalling, Dig The Falls, and the 200 Waterfalls in Central and Western New York book, I sought out to explore everything I could within reasonable driving distance. Five years ago, I caught the peakbagging bug, resulting in a dramatic shift in my hiking habits. With waterfalling having been relegated to the backburner in recent years, I've only managed to slowly chip away at my lifelong goal to visit every waterfall in the western half of the state.

With this summer being exceptionally rainy, now would be a good time for me to increase the frequency of my waterfall-oriented trips. I'm planning a couple of Finger Lakes trips between now and year's end, and would also like to hike to some of the more impressive falls in Adirondack Park this upcoming winter (I postponed last winter's trip due to covid cases spiking and vaccines not being available at the time).

To kick off this thread, here are some photos I've taken in recent years:

Carpenter Falls, Cayuga County (2018)

Chittenango Falls, Madison County (2018)

Deckertown Falls, Schuyler County (2020)

Dehgayasoh Falls, Livingston County (2019)

French Hill Falls, Ontario County (2020)

Glen Mills Falls, Chautauqua County (2020)

High Falls Gorge, Essex County (2016)

MacIntyre Range, Essex County (2020)

Niagara Falls, Niagara County (2016)

Oak Orchard Falls, Orleans County (2018)

Pratt's Falls, Onondaga County (2018)

Salmon River Falls, Oswego County (2019)

Seneca Mills Falls, Yates County (2021)

Shequaga Falls, Schuyler County (2018)

Taughannock Falls, Tompkins County (2018)

Tinker Falls, Cortland County (2019)

Warsaw Falls, Wyoming County (2020)

Feel free to post any waterfall photos, trip reports, and route descriptions in this thread and I will do the same as I explore more falls in the area.

Last edited by hikingandwildex; 08-19-2021 at 09:13 PM..
hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote