Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
Holdstrong

APA = Adirondack Park Agency.

http://apa.ny.gov/

Created in 1971, they are a government agency tasked with developing long-range land use plans for both the public and private lands inside the park.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
EagleCrag

Yes, the black flies are murderous in the park from about Mother's Day til Father's Day. Yes they bite and are annoying. They are also not restricted to the park. Once they are gone, mosquitoes, deer flies and other pesky delights await you! If you love the Adirondacks enough though, you will be willing to put up with them. From reading your comments and priorities, I don't think you want to live within the blue line. If you are living in the Glen's Falls area, you are not that far from concerts at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) and Schenectady and Albany are within an hour's drive. Schenectady has Proctor's Theatre and Albany has several venues that host concerts. You didn't mention medical facilities which are relatively basic within the park. The Albany area is the closest location with what I would consider a major hospital. Perhaps others may chime in on that aspect. Lake Placid may have some more advanced facilities with the Olympic Training Center being located there--not sure.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Holdstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by havarthe View Post
Holdstrong: thanks, I will make Broadband my number 8. Champlain Valley and hopping over to Vermont seems to be a good option. From Google Maps it seems foresty, mountainous, and obviously quite lakey. It is a huge area - at what point do you cross over into Vermont?
I find the Champlain Valley area to be less mountainous and forested than other sections of the Park. It is considered one of the better road biking areas here, for example, because of its mostly flat, rolling terrain. There is a young, local farming scene that has really been growing (no pun intended) over that way for a couple of years... injecting some energy into the area. And obviously if you are into paddling or sailing or boating on larger bodies of water, the Lake is where it is at up here.

There is a bridge that crosses the lake at Crowns Point. It is brand new. And there are two or three (I forget exactly how many) ferries that go back and forth. One at Essex, which we typically take.

All of that being said, I should make it clear that this wouldn't be MY recommendation on where to live. Just throwing it out there as an option that hadn't been mentioned yet.

I grew up just south of the Park, before moving to a major city for most of my 20s and 30s, before deciding to move back to the Park. Sometimes growing up in an area can taint your perspective, so take that into consideration when I say this... I personally wouldn't want to live in some of the peripheral towns around the Park. North, South, East or West. Although if you made me choose, I'd pick East for proximity to Burlington and the rest of VT, or South for proximity to the Albany and Saratoga areas.

Sure, you get access to more conveniences by living around the edges of the blue line (and employment opportunities, but sounds like that isn't a concern for you), but that is because you are essentially living in a typical rural area. The kind you can find anywhere in America. They just happen to be close to the Park... which is great! If a shorter drive to the Park is all you are after. But if you want to experience life IN the Park, the "Adirondack way of life" (at the risk of sounding dramatic), I'd really recommend focusing on towns that are more inside it. There is a difference between the lifestyles, maybe they are subtle, but having lived just outside the park and now inside of it, I think the differences are important. Smaller, tighter communities. A simpler day to day. A slower, quieter pace of life. Self-reliance. And other things that are hard to put words to or describe in a post like this. That stuff isn't for everyone, but I thought it important to at least let you know that there is a difference between living IN the Park, and near it.
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #24
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

For Glens Falls area, take a look at their promotional site (http://visit.cityofglensfalls.com/thingstodo/) it will give you info on most of your interests.
Pretty much the only town in the park at the south end (remotely meeting your priority list) is Warrensburg. Lake George village is a tourist trap in the summer, probably not what you're seeking.

Coming from Brooklyn, be sure to spend a week in the area you plan on moving to in late May or early June - in a typical year this should give you a good feel for flying pests you'll have to deal with in the area (if the weather is unusually dry or cold, expect more bugs in other years)
It should be noted that many towns (esp. outside blue line) treat their streams for black flies, particularly closer to population centers. I'd advise you to visit the woods and/or the type of real estate you seek (isolated / less populated areas may be "left alone" or may not get repeat treatments throughout the spring bug season).

As far as gov't service in the park, you have to realize that most of the park is a desert as far as good paying steady jobs go and a municipal position will most likely have a long list of candidates applying for it...

"Bulk food, inexpensive, high quality" in the Adirondacks don't really happen unless you grow your own - everything you see in stores gets trucked in and the quantities do not favor economy of scale.
High quality foods are available in specialty "niche" stores such as well dressed foods in Tupper, but expect to pay a premium and have a somewhat limited selection.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
TCD

Keene to GF is about 1:15. When I work multiple days, I stay overnight in GF, so it's pretty reasonable.

Zero traffic for me once north of Lake George. Because I'm going to Keene, I stop short of reaching Lake Placid, where there is some traffic.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #26
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
My wife and I are considering moving to the Adirondacks on account of its natural beauty and basic isolation.

It would be ideal for us if there were certain existing commercial and social resources, specifically the following:

1. A Costco or similar est.
2. A Trader Joe's or similar est.
3. A university or college.
4. A small downtown section.
5. Proximity to a lake/lakes
6. Proximity to a mountain(range).
7. Some type of government office or agency (my wife has historically worked for the government, a situation we would like to preserve for financial reasons).

Other information: I run an online business and therefore do not need proximity to any work place. Also, we are considering custom building, so no need for an existing development, just a road.

I have spent a few hours trying to find a location that meets all or most of these requirements but have not discovered it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I think you should face facts and just move to Vermont. Isolation and costco's are mutually exclusive. You move to the Adirondacks to get away from that way of life.

The Adirondacks are what they are because they cannot support big business... The population is too sparse... Because its a forest preserve... Forever Wild! (Not Saturday Costco parking lot wild! )
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

Id suggest the Saranac Lake-Lake Placid Area. But do note, like others have said you will not find big businesses within the blue line. Here there are small local businesses making a living. Yes there are stores like Tops, Price Chopper, Olympia and Hannafords...and Marshalls is now coming to town! But other than that if you REALLY need something you better make a list and take an hour trip to Plattsburg or 2 hours to Burlington. And I say list because thats a lot of gas money.
As far as schools Paul Smiths College is the only 4 year school in the blue line. There is also a small community school in Saranac Lake. NCCC (North Country Community College).
There are lakes and rivers quite literally everywhere. The views of the mountains is again everywhere. Id suggest that you have a good job or enough saved before living here. As a recent grad from PSC its hard to find a job up here (waiting for Civil Service exams to open up in NY) so I plan on leaving the park for now to another state with better oppurtunities.

But for beautiful places to check out look up these small towns "Onchiota, Coreys, Paul Smiths, Star Lake, Cranberry Lake"

PS. Potsdam, Plattsburg both have Wally-worlds. But why not support the local businesses. Good luck!
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #28
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

If you need high cultural events, the Adks are not for you.
On the other hand if you tone down your expectations there are lots of things to do. I was recovering from surgery for a month Jan-Feb at our camp in Lake Clear a couple years ago. I went out a couple evenings a week to local events. Story tellers at the Tupper Lake library, historical society meetings, films at the Lake Placid performing arts center, music and a talk on Astronomy at the VIC at Paul Smiths etc., etc. The local folks were very welcoming.
I've told my wife when we move up to camp, that if we want to fit in to the local community we go to the local pancake breakfasts, church suppers etc. Heck, I used to do that in my single days to meet single women, much better than the bar scene.

Anyway, you don't live in the Adirondacks for what some see as the best of modern society, many think it's the worst. Moving to the Adirondacks is like living in a Norman Rockwell painting if he had painted mountains and lakes. Slow down and smell the pines.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #29
rachelsdad

"But for beautiful places to check out look up these small towns "Onchiota, Coreys, Paul Smiths, Star Lake, Cranberry Lake"

I regret to inform you that Star Lake is closed :-)...but thanks anyway.
rachelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #30
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
"But for beautiful places to check out look up these small towns "Onchiota, Coreys, Paul Smiths, Star Lake, Cranberry Lake"

The last I knew the Packbasket was the only store at Paul Smiths and as that is a student book store its a bit limited on groceries.
Onchiota is a settlemement.. Nothing there.
Coreys? likewise.
Cranberry does a little better, variety store, 2 restaurants and ice cream stand..of course seasonal..

I wonder why Gabriels didn't make the list?
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #31
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post

Coreys??? Near Axton Landing?? Small town??
A collection of a few nice homes and summer residences.
I would identify Coreys as a VERY small bedroom community of Tupper Lake or Saranac Lake.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 PM   #32
MTVhike

We went through the same search with many of the same desires but fortunately not the employment requirement (I'm almost retired). Narrowed our search to Essex Co because of the high peaks and that it's relatively easy to get to from the south thanks to the Northway. Rejected LP (too touristy) and Keene (real estate too expensive). Seriously considered Saranac Lake (still go there often) but settled on Elizabethtown. It has the necessary stores and a hospital. There's a surprising amount of culture within an hour. Big Box stores in Plattsburgh and Lake George. However the primary attraction is that we found a beautiful location within walking distance of town. It also has internet connectivity, both cable and cellular. And they just got a NCPR translator.

Last edited by MTVhike; 01-24-2016 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Grammatical errors
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #33
yellowcanoe

Elizabethtown is also the county seat.. If you have to go to court its there. Kind of a PITA when you live in Placid.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #34
MTVhike

So, we've spent the last week here in Etown. Went to Plattsburgh once (shopping), Saranac Lake once (dinner and a play at the Pendragon theater); Keene Valley once (hiking and dinner) and Newcomb once (cross country skiing). We're going to the ADK Loj today for another hike (we're aspiring winter 46ers). Just an FYI.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #35
randy savage

got a good kick out of this stream that is for sure! so yeah I don't think that you guys are going to find those things around here I am a life long resident and hate to inform you that I don't even know what a cotsco is?! walmart is in Potsdam and its once a month for the staples, otherwise you hole up and use the natural resources around you to make life easier and just enjoy it! rachels dad that is a great one I too spend a lot of time in star lake (not giving up my identity just yet) and am curious which Rachel it is you are referring to and whats up with the creepy pic! also sorry to inform that cranberry lake is down to 1 restaurant just the stone manor remains! pine cone in wanakena is good when it is busy (summer, snowmobile and hunting season!) wanakena is also a cool place to check out and consider use this website for further info.... (www.thewaytowanakena.com)
randy savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #36
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've known Adirondack residents who drive 2 hours round trip to a Walmart once a month because it's still cheaper than shopping for groceries inside the Adirondack Park, even when factoring in the cost of gas.

With that being said, Saranac Lake has a small health food store that has a decent bulk foods section despite its size. That could fulfill some of your needs.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #37
yellowcanoe

I think the OP ought to pick something and rent for as long as possible. We did that when we moved to Maine. My neighbors had other ideas on how to move. They searched some 400 homes all all over Maine while on individual trips. That process took them some eight years.

the Adirondacks is a similarly big area. No area is perfect, no house either.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #38
VTskier

Quote:
My wife and I are considering moving to the Adirondacks on account of its natural beauty and basic isolation.

It would be ideal for us if there were certain existing commercial and social resources, specifically the following:

1. A Costco or similar est.
2. A Trader Joe's or similar est.
3. A university or college.
4. A small downtown section.
5. Proximity to a lake/lakes
6. Proximity to a mountain(range).
7. Some type of government office or agency (my wife has historically worked for the government, a situation we would like to preserve for financial reasons).
Seems you desire for isolation is directly opposite your list of other requirements! Also, from your questions, one wonders if you have ever been to the Adk? How much time have you spent there? Where did you visit and what did you do? What did you like about where you visited?

Before we moved to Vermont, we had vacationed here many years and had a good idea about the area. From your question, I get the feeling you pulled out a map of NY and just picked a place to move to.
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #39
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

To all but the OP,

I don't know if anyone is paying attention, OP hasn't responded since the 9th, and hasn't been on this forum since the 16th...
My guess is that he/she/they have realized the depth of their, uhmmm, lack of ADK knowledge and are considering another fantasy.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #40
yellowcanoe

No I noticed. But the 16th is not that far back and its winter..

Soon I will accept we are preaching to the choir.

Tags
costco., downtown, living, university