Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
ADK_Dreamer

Haystack, July 2nd, Summit #19

This was an interesting trip!

We (me, my husband Tim and son Joe) arrived John's Brook July 1st (Yes, it's Canada Day for us Canucks and we are in America??). This was our first trip to this lodge. Truly awesome. We met some great people, shared stories and even a game of cards. Thursday was pouring rain, but Friday's forecast sunny

After chatting extensively with a 'solo' Australian woman (I think her name was Karen) we decided to change our original plan of Basin/Saddleback and try Haystack. This was our first hike of the season and figured 1 mountain would be easier than 2. Especially for my 15-yr. old son, who's interest in hiking mountains (with his parents) is quickly diminishing, or should I say it has fully extinguished!

Friday was gorgeous, the best day anyone could ask for, but the complaining started early into the hike. My son broke his foot last year and seemed to have some unresolved issues with this 1 hour into the hike. We soldiered on until we hit Little Haystack. One look down the south side of this and my son did not want to go. We got him down... but with the extreme wind and cool temperatures that day.. he completely freaked out (I did tell him not to look down... but it appears a fear of heights or open ledges or both has developed). He refused to move any further and so I ran up Haystack on my own! Therefore, no summit photos of me at the top!

I would have liked to have spent more time up there, but was thankful to make it. Actually, with the wind, it really was not a spot where you could sit and enjoy a leisurely lunch. This took 10 hours ... but at least we got back to lodge in time for dinner!

Sad to say my son is hanging up his hiking boots, but hopefully he'll come back to it one day.

Thanks for all the camera recommendations on this site. I took these with my Panasonic Lumix. Still getting used to the features...

http://picasaweb.google.com/ADK46RDr...eat=directlink

Next trip... July 23rd...
ADK_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
greenebr

Congrats. You're picture from the top of Haystack are great. Where is the last picture ("Haystack 1960") from?

I love Haystack. The climb up the false peaks is fun and the views are great. If all goes well, I'll be up there next Saturday.

You're son will come around after high school and early college. Soon, he will be hiking with you again.
greenebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
ADK_Dreamer

Haystack 4960 was taken on Mirror lake (they have all the 46 high peaks engraved in stones all the way around)

I love doing this walk around Mirror Lake after a summit reading each mountain saying to myself "check i've done that, check i've done that"

This game goes fine until I hit Allen... hmmmmm
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Congrats, was just there on july 3rd.. views for miles and wonderful day for my second round. its truly the most awesome peak i think...hope your sons feet get beter, then he can do some less open faced ones with you.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
ADK_Dreamer

You had a nice day July 3rd, but it was starting to get pretty hot.

Just curious, was the summit windy and cool this day?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
SummitHat
That was fun

Sounds like a most memorable trip for a number of reasons. The walk over Little Haystack can be an adventure in itself the first time. It's great you got to enjoy the views from a peak many name as their favorite. Hopefully in the fullness of time your son will rebuild his enthusiasm and confidence regarding these trips.

So... Allen July 23rd? It's a good one for a day of long daylight.
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
ADK_Dreamer

Not Allen yet, that's why I worry about it! But soon. Maybe next year.

July 23rd we will be staying in Keene Valley, so hope to knock off Sawteeth, Colvin and Blake (not in one day, I'm getting too old and too slow for that).

Of course, hope weather co-operates (and the knees).

There will be another trip at the end of August too... not sure what that will involve. Will be staying in Lake Placid free on air miles at Best Western, so might tackle Marshall as there is not left from Loj entry for us to do.

Allen will need a lot of research, dry weather (I think) and support.

Can Allen be done in a day hike?? Everyone tells me it's an overnight (I guess especially true for a slow poke). Staying at a lean-to will be new experience.

I could be calling on ADK Guide services for this one!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
mink

Congrats on your hike of Haystack and #19!
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_Dreamer View Post
Can Allen be done in a day hike?? Everyone tells me it's an overnight (I guess especially true for a slow poke). Staying at a lean-to will be new experience.
Allen is a long walk, but in my experience a good one. The vast majority of the trail is over relatively level roads/ground/muck, with many worthwhile views along the way. The climb up the brook/slide is steep and slick, and not overly long. Apparently it's been easier recently due to dry conditions.

Though it's a couple extra miles round trip compared with Haystack, it also involves perhaps 1000 ft less elevation gain.

Plus you get to wade through the Opalescent River, which can be really nice on tired feet...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
I'm getting too old and too slow for that.
I hear you.

Over the course of several years my brother and I did some long bicycle trips, eventually connecting a path across the continent. After the first trip we realized it would be better to do the tough (mountainous) areas earlier, as we were getting older and slower. The philosophy has its advantages with respect to the ADKs as well IMO.

Happy trails.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
ADK_Dreamer

Thanks for this advice. At 44, I'm hoping to be done before 50.

Maybe I should be considering Allen on our late August trip if the dry weather holds up.

Where is a good place to stay close to Allen trail start so we can maximize our sleep and early start?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
SummitHat
That was fun

Quote:
Thanks for this advice. At 44, I'm hoping to be done before 50.

Maybe I should be considering Allen on our late August trip if the dry weather holds up.

Where is a good place to stay close to Allen trail start so we can maximize our sleep and early start?
44 is young IMO. At that age the drive to and from southern ON would be more tiring than a hike up Allen.

There are some good threads on these sites regarding camping and Allen hikes that should help. A few recent ones:
http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=11782
http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=11461