Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
WildYogiInTheWoods

Where to start planning a backpacking trip?

Hi all-

I'm planning a backpacking trip over fourth of July weekend… I know, holiday's are crowded everywhere! But we have to use "free" days off when we can get them.

I could use some advice on planning our trip… I've seen lists of different regions, suggested hikes, etc, but I'm not even sure how to pick which part of the park to hike in! We'll be arriving some time probably late Thursday morning/early afternoon, hike for a few hours Thursday, all day Friday & Saturday, and head back on Sunday. We're in decent shape, but probably don't want to kill ourselves due to the long drive back, and straight to work (early) Monday. Would prefer not to use a shuttle, so loops are great. Some lakes would be nice.

I'd love some advice on where to start our planning, what areas you recommend, even your favorite specific routes.

Thank you!
WildYogiInTheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
dundee

Grab some ADK guidebooks or Bill Ingersol's "Discover" series and read about the various areas of the park. You can pick places near your location, areas with ponds/lakes or areas of deep forest, whatever. ADK used to/still does ? publsih the ADK Sampler II by Bruce Wadsworth. If it's out of print, you can probably find it on amazon, ebay/half.com. Bruce has a great gear checklist in the book.

Like you said, certain areas will be packed with people so take a tent. a stove is highly recommended as firewood is non-existant in most places. The High Peaks and Pharaoh Lake areas are the most used in the park and will be crowed, but you may find a secluded spot even in these locations on a holiday w/e; you don't never know!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Where to start...

Welcome WildYogIntheWoods,
I agree, guidebooks are a great source of info for the Adirondacks, especially for those little known campsites that many folks seem to seek this time of year, which usually is something that most folks here are not really willing to share publicly...for obvious reasons. My best advice is to check out a few maps & guidebooks, pick an area, maybe ask a few more specific questions about a certain area, have fun & enjoy, and pleaee keep it clean!
Another good place to start planning any camping trip is the NYSDEC website...
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41282.html
Good luck!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
WildYogiInTheWoods

Thanks for the advice & book recommendations. I'm trying to find descriptions of the different regions of the park (including the overviews of the "Discover" series), so I can purchase an area-specific guide & map. I definitely get that the High Peaks region is the most popular… why is that? Is it simply the attraction/challenge of so many peaks to scale? Or is the scenery best there?

As a side note, as my libraries selection of Adirondack books is terrible, so I will probably also pick up a used copy of the ADK Sampler II. I googled it, and it comes up on about 4 hits as a "free download" if you create an account. I'm not going to do it, as the web addresses, and the whole thing really, feels really shady, and not entirely legal!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Brookie hunter

Go to cnyhiking.com that has some descriptions of all the areas of the park including maps, find a general area you like then get the guidebooks for the area and do some more research on it.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
dundee

[QUOTE=WildYogiInTheWoods;232927]Thanks for the advice & book recommendations. I'm trying to find descriptions of the different regions of the park (including the overviews of the "Discover" series), so I can purchase an area-specific guide & map. I definitely get that the High Peaks region is the most popular… why is that? Is it simply the attraction/challenge of so many peaks to scale? Or is the scenery best there?

QUOTE]

I generally stay away from the Wild Forest areas of the park. Some use of motor vehicles are allowed in these areas and they are sometimes overrun by illegal ATV use.

Wilderness Areas alloow no vehicle use and, IMO, more scenic.

The High Peaks has more trails than any other area, big mountains with sweeping views, more lean-tos and tentsites and the challenge of climbing the 46 peaks over 4,000' draws many people. Don't staw away from the High Peaks, but remember, you almost always have to share everything. You also must take a bear canister into the Eastern High Peaks and no campfires are allowed there.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

I would recommend the Wilderness areas of the ADKs as they are the most wild and primal-feeling parts of the park where you can see nobody days (on July 4th weekend last year my partner and I had High Falls all to ourselves) except for the local indigenous populations of wild animals.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
WildYogiInTheWoods

Thanks Boreal Fox! That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Narrowing it down!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
WildYogiInTheWoods

I've read through everything I can find online about the regions, and I'm at a loss! Of course they all sound great to me. Seriously, how do you decide where to go in a place this big and beautiful? I'd rather just buy one guidebook as it will likely be awhile before I can get back here.

I came across this advice in another thread:

"A non-high peaks option would be camping in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness area with hikes up Pharaoh Mt. Treadwell or just doing loops from camp."

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11122

What do you think about that? Is that going to be a crazy busy area? Are we missing the beauty of the High Peaks? I'm thinking hiking in a bit with packs, then doing peaks/etc from a base-camp would be great, as my husband's not feeling in tip-top shape for this trip (i.e. he doesn't want to carry his pack up a mountain).

Any advice on how to choose a region, or suggestions for a specific wilderness area… or specific 3 day 3 night hike would be much appreciated!

Last edited by WildYogiInTheWoods; 06-17-2015 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Added another question
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
dundee

Do ALL the areas, but not all in one day! Pharaoh will be busy and chances are you will not have anywhere to yourselves.

I don't know where you're coming from (your home base camp) , that may make a difference. You probably don't want to drive forever.

A tent is pretty much needed these days and you'll want it to keep the bugs out at night.

The 4th throws a monkey in the wrench; it's just busy in the woods. Another w/e???
Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Wildyogi,

You have to ask yourself if you would prefer more water or more mountain. The high peaks are beautiful, but as you've been told, they will be busy. If staying overnight, a bear canister is required in the eastern high peaks zone, and no fires are allowed. Keep in mind, many of the trails are muddy, rugged and steep.

There are plenty of other mountains to climb, some with views just as spectacular as the high peaks.

There are also thousands of lakes, ponds and streams (I'm not exaggerating), with plenty of smaller mountains to enjoy. If you have a canoe, bring it, IMO the best of the ADK's is seen from a canoe. There are also outfitters that will rent you a boat and even run a shuttle for you. There are many wilderness lakes and ponds, with all the solitude you could want, as well as great swimming and natural beaches. And wait, there's more!! Some fun climbs have water only access to the trailheads...

Sooo, would you rather do more mountains, or spend more time on/near water?

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
WildYogiInTheWoods

Stripperguy, that second photo really makes me want to paddle! I'll have to make it back some day for that though, my husband's not much of a swimmer, so he gets a little squirrely on the water!

But we both love to be near water (& I'll take a dip)… so I would say smaller mountains with lots of water around would be perfect. Don't really need to bag a bunch of peaks on this trip.

Dundee to answer your question we're coming from Indiana… a looooong drive any way you slice it! I know another weekend would be much better… but we're banking days off for a big trip (to India) in the fall, so we have to use free days off whenever we can get them!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
dundee

Indiana? Holy Crap! You'll need a vacation just because you drove all that way to go on a vacation!

Maybe you can go for Rock or Clear Ponds in the Pharaoh area. You're bound to run into other folks and find the lean-tos occupied, but there are good tensites on both ponds and they have great swimming with clear water. You can make a daytrip up Treadway Mt. from Clear; you could from Rock Pond, too, it's just a little farther.

You could try for Middle Settlement Lake in the Ha-De-Ron-Da Wilderness Area. Lean-to and tentsite, good swim.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

If you're coming from Indiana then the western Adirondacks may be ideal. The Five Ponds and the West Canada Lakes wilderness areas are incredibly beautiful and plenty of old growth forest still in the western parts. Lots of grouse, woodcock, beavers, bears, moose, and other forest friends.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Are you still there, wildyogi?
A loop through part of the west canada's could be just the ticket. Easy access via dirt roads, then about a 15 mile loop through some beautiful and history filled wilderness. You could take a side trip to French Louie's cave, a very cool spot that few visit. Many great lakes and ponds along the loop.You can loop the dirt road on the way out, there is a good climb to a fire tower on Wakely Mt, it's a tall one!! (the tower)
There are multiple online topo maps for you to study, like here.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
WildYogiInTheWoods

I'm still here, thanks stripperguy

West Canada is exactly what I was thinking! Glad to hear I might be on the right track. Sounds like Eastern (Pharaoh) has everything but is pretty heavily used, and SW (Ha-de-ron-dah) and NW (Five Ponds) are lovely & quiet, but no major peaks. (At least that's what the description on the "Discover the Adirondacks" books main page says.) West Canada might be the best of both worlds… yes?

I'm open to other suggestions, but I think I'll nab the guide & map for the West Central region and nail this trip down!

Dundee, yeah it's gonna be a haul! Good thing I like road trips. Indiana is kind of a dead zone when it comes to great hiking opportunities… If you want actual mountains the Smokies are the only thing within a reasonable drive (6 hours to the closest parts). We've done them many times though, and they are incredibly crowded on holidays (it's consistently the most visited national park).

PS- Stripperguy, where is that first pic from?

Last edited by WildYogiInTheWoods; 06-19-2015 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Added a question.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #17
Bark Eater Too

+1 for West Canada. Beautiful and remote. Enjoy!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

That's the view from Noonmark...
Here is a link to photos from a trip I did to Cedar Lakes, we carried and paddled, there is even more to see when hiking.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #19
WildYogiInTheWoods

Thanks for sharing your trip photos! Wilderness paddling is definitely something I'd like to experience… I've been holding out on Pictured Rocks Natl. Lakeshore in Michigan in order to go by boat. Looks like I'll have to be heading back to the Adirondacks as well.

One more question before I dive into West Canada… Does one need a vehicle with AWD to plug along the dirt roads towards the trails? Or will my trusty compact car (Honda Fit) be sufficient?

Also (sorry that's 2), a bear canister isn't needed in this part of the park, right? Just Eastern High Peaks? I know I'll have to get one eventually, but I need to replace some other gear & I like to spread out financial pain & suffering.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildYogiInTheWoods View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip photos! Wilderness paddling is definitely something I'd like to experience… I've been holding out on Pictured Rocks Natl. Lakeshore in Michigan in order to go by boat. Looks like I'll have to be heading back to the Adirondacks as well.

One more question before I dive into West Canada… Does one need a vehicle with AWD to plug along the dirt roads towards the trails? Or will my trusty compact car (Honda Fit) be sufficient?

Also (sorry that's 2), a bear canister isn't needed in this part of the park, right? Just Eastern High Peaks? I know I'll have to get one eventually, but I need to replace some other gear & I like to spread out financial pain & suffering.
Driving to the Pillsbury TH or the Spruce Lake TH (both via Perkins clearing/Sled Harbor) is doable via almost any car, tho' you (and your car) may not like the trip, but it's only a mile or so from Sled Harbor to Pillsbury TH.

Yes, it's just the Eastern High Peaks that you are required to have a bear canister. There are bears throughout the Park, it's just that there are more people in the High Peaks and the bears have grown accustomed to getting free meals from hikers bear bags. Bear bags are good in other parts of the park. You do know how to hang a bear bag???

Tags
backpacking, holiday weekend, trip planning advice