Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
montcalm

What are your big trip plans for 2022?

Well, now we've maybe seen some light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, only maybe to have added back the cold war, what are your burning desires... in terms of adventures (please spare anything else)?

I've completely shifted focus from actually going anywhere to going somewhere and staying for a few days. I haven't actually been able to do any of this yet, but I have a number of places I want to go "hang out" at for a few days and really whack around a couple spots and check some things out - mostly nerdy tree and bug stuff, but also probably not places many people really want to go stumble around either. In all instances there are nice spots to camp AFIK and I'd utilize these whilst doing short day excursions from there. I won't bore too much more with my list, but I posted a good deal of it in this thread:

https://www.adkforum.com/showthread....ght=old+growth

There's also a number of remote beaver habitat I'd like to add on there, but I think I'll really need to up my game for that one... maybe even carry some waders
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Pine Lake via the Essex Chain Lakes, the Chain Drain, Rock River and Cedar River. (My roll in from the south didn't turn out so well last fall).

Shallow Lake paddling and camping, with some upstream and downstream excursions on Sucker Brook.

Terror Lake via Big Moose, Gull Lake and Andy's Creek, paddle/carry/paddle/carry/camping.

Notice a trend? Yup, all wilderness paddling with carries to lesser visited waters.

Of course, there's family camping at formal campgrounds, and maybe an easy primitive trip with MDB.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
montcalm

I've noticed a few boats out on Shallow when I've been out there. It definitely gets paddled.

Terror lake is too much of a nightmare for me. I'd go on foot, but no way with my boat.

I think one place I want to go base camp is Pigeon Lake. Or I least I think so - maybe I'll camp at Chub Lake and day hike up in there. It's one area I really want to work on because the documentation of the history sucks.

I surely want to get back to Dead Creek Flow and spend more time checking out both sides of the bay. Particularly the old-growth vs. the burned area. I've paddle right around and past there, but I want to look at the forest.

I'd like to spend a couple nights in Ha-De-Ron-Dah - not exciting really, but I want to understand wtf is going on there in the burned over areas. Not sure where I'd camp - maybe Middle Branch and then whack back over to Moose River Mtn.

I need to get a trip into Silver Lakes WA and Powley-Piseco Rd. Perhaps maybe taken for granted by the Albany crowd, this has always flown a bit off my radar. But there are a number of interesting things I want to check out, and well... I've just never been there!

And of course, I have a number of things I want to check in SRCA - despite being one of my most visited places, I have a number of really special areas I want to spend some time at - particularly around Fish pond. I might wheel the road and stay a week out there (at different sites, of course).

Western HPW is on my list - I'd like get into to some of those parts - mainly northern NPT sections along the Cold river. And the Raquette river, but by canoe. And of course I'd like to spend some time around Ampersand - but that seems like a good thing to do as a day trip from the campground e.g. Rollins pond.

Lastly I'd like to get back up to the county line in 5 ponds. Lots of interesting things going on in that area. Easily done as day whacks from High Falls though - which is likely what I'd do.

Last edited by montcalm; 04-02-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Old 04-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Plans to yo-yo the npt.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:04 AM   #5
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Well, now we've maybe seen some light at the end of the pandemic tunnel, only maybe to have added back the cold war, what are your burning desires... in terms of adventures (please spare anything else)?
ADKs: Giant/RPR via Route 9 and/or the Dix Range.

Also thinking about finally going back to Northern New England in the late-summer or fall, with a possible stop at Ausable Chasm on the way there. It has been nearly a decade since I've been out that way and have never done any serious hiking in VT, NH, or ME.

Before long, I'll be starting my second full season of kayaking and doing a lot more camping than I've done in recent years. Would like to get to the western half of the Adirondacks for that at some point.

BTW, I was just in your stomping grounds yesterday. See if you recognize this spot...

hikingandwildex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #6
montcalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Plans to yo-yo the npt.
One up and back, or hobo style all summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingandwildex View Post

BTW, I was just in your stomping grounds yesterday. See if you recognize this spot...
Looks like Conklin to me, but I don't know that exact spot.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

I plan to thru hike the Vermont Long Trail in June this year.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
One up and back, or hobo style all summer?t.
One up and back.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
hikingandwildex

Quote:
Looks like Conklin to me, but I don't know that exact spot.
Close. That was at Clark Gully, a ways downhill from South Hill Road where I started. Spent five hours at Conklin before that. Both places lived up to the hype... so many waterfalls! Hope to return later this year because there are more areas that I'd like to explore.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I don't know if this qualifies as adventure, but my hope is to return to Grass Pond at the end of Low's and explore the mountains around it, and to pay a first visit to Little Tupper Lake and see if there is an overlook on the back side of Antediluvian Mountain. It kind of looks like it in the satellite view. Both of those will have to wait till August or September, I imagine, once the move is completed. I have bigger ideas for 2023, assuming that the world is still right side up by then.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
montcalm

Quote:
Close. That was at Clark Gully, a ways downhill from South Hill Road where I started. Spent five hours at Conklin before that. Both places lived up to the hype... so many waterfalls! Hope to return later this year because there are more areas that I'd like to explore.
I figured it was Clark's or Conklin's - they both look very similar - I assume you're on the west edge down near the bottom - I haven't been there in years, but it looks a little different to me - might just be the specific angle, but I remember that spine on the left of your photo. I always wanted to climb up it but I never had the nerve - it's not that steep, but there are a few big ledges, like over 6' up, and a lot of exposure. And really above that, that rock just isn't very stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I don't know if this qualifies as adventure, but my hope is to return to Grass Pond at the end of Low's
That's always on my list.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #12
firewatcher

Forked Lake (several days over a couple of visits)
Indian Lake
Garnet Lake
Mt St Regis / neighboring ponds
Rollins Pond
Little Tupper / WCWW
firewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:15 PM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Got a week off from work coming up soon, and am planning to hike the 85 mile Susquehannock Trail System in PA with a few friends. I solo backpacked it previously in 2013, and it has consistently remained in my most-favorite backpacking experiences and I'm looking forward to being able to revisit the entire trail with friends (while also traversing at a slightly slower pace that affords more time to to enjoy the sights and scenery along the way). The Hammersley Wild Area especially is full of memories with some of those same friends, as it was the site for weekend group backpacking trips in 2014 and in 2015, and I know some of us are looking forward to spending another evening camped there.

Aside from that, no major plans for the year (as of yet, anyways). More lean-to bagging, of course, with a focus on boat-access lean-tos as many of the ones I have left in the ADKs are boat access only. Hoping to get out on various water bodies in June while it's still relatively quiet... Raquette Lake, Utowana Lake, Forked Lake are all on the potential short list.

Last edited by DSettahr; 04-03-2022 at 10:35 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:16 AM   #14
hikingandwildex

The lean-to bagging idea mentioned above sounds interesting. I might start doing this for FLT system shelters and then branch out from there. Another idea I had while reading my Western New York Sportsman's book yesterday was to camp in every one of the state forests in the Southern Tier. Obviously this would be a multi-year endeavor as there are so many of them scattered in the area. It would give me something fresh to do since I'm starting to run out of new and interesting hiking options within a few hours of here.

@Montcalm: Yes, that's where those photos were taken. I'm looking forward to starting at the Sunnyside Road access point next time and seeing how far I can safely travel upstream from there. The 200 Waterfalls book says it's a trickle by late-summer and advised early-summer as the best time of year to visit.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Central/western NY can be a bit hit or miss in the lean-to department. A lot of the lean-tos in that area are readily accessible- no more than a few minutes of walking from the nearest road. Accordingly, for better or for worse, they tend to attract the types of use that go along with easy accessibility- as well as the associated impacts. I don't just mean people partying/getting drunk, but youth groups also will use the FLT lean-tos for beginner backpacking trips with bigger groups. Fortunately, though, the ease of access means it's not difficult to retrace your steps to the car and implement a Plan B.

Some of the lean-tos do get relatively low levels of use, though. And a lot of them are quite nice; the ease of access also facilitates upkeep and maintenance. One minor drawback- many of the FLT lean-tos use corrugated metal sheet roofs instead of shiplap and shingles, as the metal will last far longer. But on a rainy night, it can be difficult to hear your own thoughts, even.

Also worth nothing that a few of the FLT lean-tos are on state park lands and a permit is required to camp in them.

In the lean-to photo album, the following lean-tos are located in central/western NY:
  • Arkwright #1 and #2
  • Boyce Hill
  • Buck Settlement
  • Bucktooth
  • Chestnut
  • Clapper Hollow
  • Cotton Hill (on the outskirts of the Capital Region more accurately, but close enough)
  • Darien Lake
  • Gorczynski Memorial
  • Eminence (also on the outskirts of the Capital Region)
  • Foxfire
  • Getter Hill
  • Hemlock Glen
  • Holiday Valley
  • Hoxie Gorge
  • Joseph A. Vanorio Memorial
  • Kimmie
  • Ludlow Creek
  • Moss Hill
  • Mt. Pleasant #1 and #2
  • Oakland
  • Panama #1 and #2
  • Paradise Garden
  • Parks Hollow
  • Perkins Pond
  • Powerline
  • Shindagin
  • Sugar Hill #1 and #2
  • Tamarack
  • Tarbox Camp
  • VanZandt
  • Whaupaucaunau
  • Woodchuck Hollow
  • Woodland Pond
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #16
hikingandwildex

Good info as always, DS. I've seen a lot of those on the map services I use (FLT, DEC, Caltopo, Natural Atlas, Open Topo Map) and have stopped at a few on my hikes. 99% of my camping to date has been in tents and cabins (and my parents' old trailer growing up), but I always check out any lean-to I come across on my hikes. I usually sign the registers as well. Not sure if that's proper "etiquette" if you're not staying overnight but I do it anyway.

Last summer, I stayed at a lean-to the night before doing a longish dayhike on the Eastside Overland Trail. There were two shelters and both were in fairly good shape aside from some name carvings which is expected.

Thanks again. I'll check out those photos during my lunch break or this evening when I'm not working. Just took a quick look for now.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #17
greatexpectations

likely not happening in one trip, but i have a few ideas in mind:

- visit all the peaks in the giant mountain wilderness.
- finish off sectioning the NPT.
- some trail running in the siamese ponds wilderness.
- for a laugh i would also like to visit the "indian head" in lake pleasant
greatexpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #18
montcalm

Quote:
@Montcalm: Yes, that's where those photos were taken. I'm looking forward to starting at the Sunnyside Road access point next time and seeing how far I can safely travel upstream from there. The 200 Waterfalls book says it's a trickle by late-summer and advised early-summer as the best time of year to visit.
I've only ever accessed Clark's from the bottom. I recall being up on the east rim and in the gully itself - I'm not sure what's going on the west side on the upper bits. I think, as I recall, it's very steep on that side until you get up to the higher elevations. Maybe not very helpful, but I know you can access everything from the bottom. I wish I could be more detailed but the last time I was in Clark's I didn't have a driver's license - I've been to Conklin more recently, so perhaps I should head back to Clark's for a refresh.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #19
hikingandwildex

Quote:
I've only ever accessed Clark's from the bottom. I recall being up on the east rim and in the gully itself - I'm not sure what's going on the west side on the upper bits. I think, as I recall, it's very steep on that side until you get up to the higher elevations. Maybe not very helpful, but I know you can access everything from the bottom. I wish I could be more detailed but the last time I was in Clark's I didn't have a driver's license - I've been to Conklin more recently, so perhaps I should head back to Clark's for a refresh.
That's good to know about being able to access everything from the bottom. Are ropes needed or can you climb safely unsupported? The guides I've read online and in that waterfall book describe Lower Clark Gully as being extremely risky and dangerous.

I'll post more info on Upper Clark Gully and the west side this evening... just got out of work 15 minutes ago and now got to head out for a 3:00 group hike...
Old 04-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #20
montcalm

Quote:
That's good to know about being able to access everything from the bottom. Are ropes needed or can you climb safely unsupported? The guides I've read online and in that waterfall book describe Lower Clark Gully as being extremely risky and dangerous.

I'll post more info on Upper Clark Gully and the west side this evening... just got out of work 15 minutes ago and now got to head out for a 3:00 group hike...
I never used ropes but I gotta say if you have one and you know how to rappel it can get you out of a jam. Sometimes climbing up is easier and you hit something you definitely don?t want to go up and get trapped.

I honestly don?t remember it being difficult. Conklin from the bottom is and there?s definitely a falls that is very hard to climb. I?ll talk more about it in your other thread.