Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Telemarkmike

Trekking to Backcountry Waterfalls - 8/23 & 8/24/14

I spent the past weekend hiking into some spectacular waterfalls. Saturday's trip was a re-visit to the topo map labeled "Falls" on the SE flank of Macomb Mountain. This one is a bit of a walk; the first 3.25 miles on the old jeep road paralleling the West Mill Brook, followed by an approximate mile and a quarter bushwhack up the flank to the falls. It gets a little thick as you approach the falls, but it is a spectacular multi-tier falls. You can see the falls from Camel's Hump on the east side of the Niagara Valley.

I also climbed to various open rock ledges higher up on the flank. More pics here.

Sunday was a shorter trip to an equally spectacular falls that is labeled on the topo map. This one lies SE of Giant Washbowl in the Giant Mountain Wilderness. It is a mere .6 miles from Route 73, but it lies down in a deep ravine and care is needed getting down to the base of the falls. It was my first time here, but it won't be the last. There is a deep pool at the base that would make for great swimming on a hot day. There is also an interesting grotto on the left side of the falls.

More pics on this trip here. Once again I continued past the falls up to some open rock which rivals Giant Nubble in terms of elevation and views.

Both trips were great and Rev enjoyed the water at both places.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
12trysomething

Trekking to Backcountry Waterfalls - 8/23 & 8/24/14

Excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
Excellent. Thanks for sharing!
No problem. They are certainly a couple of special places.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
crepuscular

When I visited Dipper Brook Falls in the summer of 2013 with GregoryKarl there was a lot more water moving through and I didn't notice the grotto. I looked back at my pictures and could see it now that I know where it is. Very cool! Your pictures make that spot look very tropical.
crepuscular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
Telemarkmike

Chris - Thanks for your blog post link. That sounds like a great trip you had with GK. I plan to do something similar when I get the chance.

Tags
waterfalls