Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Peebut

Catskill 3500 link up.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if a link up of the 35 3500's has been done? I know the 46'ers has been done twice unsupported. I found a great TR on it and was looking for the same in the Cats if its been done.

Thanx
Peebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebut View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows if a link up of the 35 3500's has been done? I found a great TR on it and was looking for the same in the Cats if its been done.
Thanx
It's been done in a one continous hike 3 separate times by 4 different people to the best of my knowledge. Never "un"supported though.

Cave Dog did it supported in '02 in 2d15h24m you can get info here.

Jim Senecal and Joe Hevesi did the trip "self"supported back in the late 70's in 4d 14h.

Erik Sclimmer did it with only one food cache (making it self-supported) in '08. In an even 6 days. Also being "solo". You can find a write up on his site (they are PDFs)

Quote:
I know the 46'ers has been done twice unsupported.
Once selfsupported and once unsupported. By two people each time.

The supported/self/un supported styles have been debated many places each have there on rewards and difficulties.

Here is what seems to be the commonly accepted definitions of each as related to hiking nowadays:

"Supported, self-supported, unsupported? What does it mean?

Supported means you have a dedicated support team that meets you along the way to supply whatever you need. This generally allows for the fastest, lightest trips, and for an element of camaraderie and safety, since someone knows about where you are at all times.

Self-supported means that you don't carry everything you need from the start, but you don't have dedicated, pre-arranged people helping you. This is commonly done a couple different ways: You might put out stashes of supplies for yourself prior to the trip, or you might just use what's out there, such as stores, begging from other trail users, etc.

Unsupported means you have no external support of any kind. Typically, this means that you must carry all your supplies right from the start, except any water that can be obtained along the way from natural sources. This approach has also been termed "alpine style". The longest trip I'm aware of using this style is Coup's 20-day thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. For most people, carrying enough food for more than a few days to one week will be prohibitive. " Taken from the FKT site.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Peebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory D View Post

Once selfsupported and once unsupported. By two people each time.
I should have clarified. I knew it was done atleast twice and one was unsupported. Sorry.

That was exactly what I was looking for on the Cats. Thank You.
Peebut is offline   Reply With Quote