Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
beaverPond

Advice for West Canada Creek

I suspect some of you guys/gals have mastered the WC. I am heading there next week and wondering if anyone has recommendations for flies and sizes. I am not experienced with fishing such a big waterway and the last/first time I was there I had no takers, just some casual interest from trout. Any advice at all would be appreciated. This seems to be a tight group so hopefully this kind of info sharing is appropriate. If not, feel free to send me a personal message. I already have the first round if we all ever meet up some time.

Thanks as always,
BP
beaverPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
serotonin
ember

Here's my advice; if you ever find yourself upon that wretched water, forget about Flies.
Ha! Better Bring Bowling-Ball-Size sinkers; and Attach them to your Vest.
Proceed to wade into the Sunken Cannon Balls; and the remains of previous fishermen. Then take one last Gasp and kiss your ass Goodbye.

Make sure you leave a suicide note.

If by Chance you should survive... bring Tomato Juice to get the skunk scent Out! It's Bad News.
Several people Die there every year. In my book, it ain't worth it.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
beaverPond

Holy crap. Do they die from the dam releases? Or are people known to wade too deep? I guess I don't feel so bad getting skunked.

bp
Old 06-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Green Butted Skunk
ΚΑΝΝΑΒΕΙΣ

That River sucks...Dont waste your time...I've fished it several times and never saw much that would send me back. Never any good hatches, the water is always high (unless its the day you are not there) and the Locals in the area are savages...

Im not even certain there are Trouts in that waterway...could be all the sewage gettin dumped in but who knows, might just be from me peeing in my leaky waders....

GBS
Green Butted Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
Shaq

terrible...just terrible....I don't approve one bit....

www.theanglersnet.com
Shaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
beaverPond

Can you guys PM me with some other rivers/areas that I may want to pursue? I know some of the obvious ones, along with some small creeks, but I am in search of some new spots. I am pretty new to fly fishing, but my spirit lives in ADK! No big deal if you don't want to share. I know this is a sensitive subject here. I remember a post a while back that annoyed some folks because a specific name was mentioned. I would be happy to share some of my spots in ADK and in western NY.

one day i'd love to do a group trip somewhere. i can cover the beer if you guys show me a new spot. i think i remember a post last year about a trip. fly fisherman may be about the only strangers you can trust on earth anymore.

bp
Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
trouthunter

Wow I cant believe the negative responses. While W. Canada is not on the top of my list I do find it to be a very productive river.You definetly have to do your homework and hit it when the flow is low.The wading is extremely difficult so I usually bring some kind of wading staff. I use a long cross country ski pole that I found in the daks years ago.I also make sure to wear felt bottom boots/waders.
Never any good hatches? Ive seen unbelievable hatches up there several times!
Savage locals? Where are you fishing? I dont think any locals fish there,all I see is guys from N.J. and downstate.
No trout? Trust me there are plenty!
W. Canada is bigger water than most and best fished from a drift boat with someone who knows the River.The main reason its not my favorite is because of the crowds. I prefer solitude and being able to fish any section undisturbed.The small creeks I fish in the sw adks have spoiled me!
Heres a couple things to try.Drive away from the crowds. Fish above the resevoir,there is a VERY healthy population of brookies up there.I normally look for whats hatching before picking a fly,but if nothing is observed I tie on a brown or black stone. W. Canada is known to have lots of stoneflies.I personally believe a stone fly dangling in front of a brookie is a sure thing ESPECIALLY IN W. CANADA.Bring a good size rod, again its big water and there are some big fish.Check hatch charts and stock up on the flies that are due to hatch.With so many quiet smaller productive trout streams in the area I sometimes find it hard to even go there but if you hit it right it can be a lot of fun and challenging.Dont forget the browns are HUGE!
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
beaverPond

Thanks for the info. Browns as in March brown flies or as in the trout?

bp
Old 06-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
trouthunter

Brown trout,mostly below Hinckley.
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
beaverPond

I fished the "trophy" section of WCC below the dam in gravesville a couple weeks ago and it was like times square. It looked like male models jumped out of an Orvis catalog. I guess what I'd like to find on the WCC is more remote fishing, with a chance to still get into some bigger browns. I am also going to try your suggestion of the upper reaches for some brookies, my favorite. Anybody bushwhack from the scenic overview on route 8 up stream? Feel free to PM me.

thx
bp
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
aaronlawson

I've been up Haskell's Road (which parrallels WCC above the senic overlook) to scout out the river. I found it mostly very shallow, very rocky, very wide. I don't think there were too many places for trout in the section I hiked along. This river was seriously damaged by logging -both as a consequence of deforestation and the flooding that ensued, as due to intentional reengineering of the river (with dynamite no less) so that it could be used to float logs down during spring thaw. Below the scenic overlook looks better, there are big flat sections there too but also the occasional pool.

I live on WCC at Hinckley lake and I don't fish there, it's is just too full of people who have way too much money to spend on expensive, over-priced fly fishing stuff. I go there wearing sneakers and my cheap-but-functional fishing vest (that I incidentally looted from my grandfather's apartment when he died) and I get snarky looks from New Jersey goobers wearing $600 Simms wading tuxedos with the price tags still on their stuff. There are big fish there, but in my opinion there is more to fly fishing than that.

If you want to hear some other options in that area that are more quiet and where you'll probably be alone all day just email me.

-Aaron

Last edited by aaronlawson; 07-03-2006 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Typos fixed...
aaronlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Nessmuk
FLYFSR

We got 7 inches of rain up here in the SW Adirondacks....if your heading out to fish ya best head to a lake because the creeks around here are totally blown out!
Nessmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
jeffyhunter

the previous poster was correct. streams here are fully blown out and probably will not be fishable for a week, maybe more, depending on whether we get any more rain.

On a related note, I'd like to chime in about the W. Canada. It's not what it used to be. Sure, it's still a great fishery, but it seems to have become a playground for yuppies from NJ and downstate *******s. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised, seeing how land around here is being voraciously consumed by these pricks for summer homes and driving property taxes here through the roof.
jeffyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #14
aaronlawson

The river is totally blown out, Hinckley lake is the highest I've ever seen it. It looks like the Niagara river below the first dam, where it is usually Prospect Reservoir. I think all those precious browns will find themselves in the Mohawk if this keeps up!
aaronlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #15
Qtip

jeffyhunter,

Welcome!

The streams and rivers in Otsego County are unbelievable. I only had one way to get home Weds. morning and drove through deep water a couple of times. Bridges wahed out or gone in a few places. Now having car problems due to "moisture".

You're spot on about downstaters and their ilk. You should see Otsego County and the mess it's become.

I used to fish the Beaverkill/Delaware system years ago but got sick of driving there and fighting crowds of them. They were thicker than the hatches!
The W.Canada is getting full of the "elitists" too. If you want a good laugh just read some of the ads in Fly Fisherman and tell me who that's geared to. In fact IMHO opinion the sport has been hijacked by them. I'm going to go back to fishing "other places" not so crowded.

trouthunter,

In response to the question on your PM. I've only fished Buttermilk Falls a few times on my way home from vacation and I don't know anything about the rest of the Raquette. And yes I did catch that large brown at the falls.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
clint

I just checked W Canada before signing on and see the release is a 12,ooo cfs and I like to fish it at 500 cfs. I used to fish it alot and had good success in the trophy section but it went downhill fast when the company in charge of releases changed and they began pulsing water two or three times a day. The fish just can't get comfortable.

The wading can be brutal, like wading on greased bowling balls, but it is great for a canoe or pontoon boat float where you can get back in the deep holes at dusk and away from the crowds and where the big browns hang out. There used to be a good supply of 20+ inch Browns from West Canada and pictures to prove it when Randy Kulig ran his flyshop in Middleville.
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #17
beaverPond

That is depressing news about WC. I have driven by WC on rt 8 since I was a kid and always thought, man what a stream to fish if i ever learn to fly fish. The search goes on.

bp
Old 06-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
rich e

From what I seen in the Utica OD today, I don't think anyones gonna be fishing the West Canada this weekend, showed a picture of a guy walking into West Canada Campgrounds to check on his place, the water was up to his waist and he looked to be near the main office. Showed a pic of the bridge just below there, water was almost to the deck, don't think you coulda got under it in a canoe, showed what looked to be a bunch of picnic tables washed up against the bridge. Best to find a lake or pond to fish this weekend, good luck and stay safe.
rich e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
serotonin
ember

Saw some footage of a several story building collapsing into the East Canada.
I think it was a restaurant in Dolgeville.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 AM   #20
brookies4ever

Have fished WCC for about 20 + years, have had much better luck with browns below Hinkley Dam than above it, though WCC above Hinkley Dam is much more wild and primative. Have fished near or around the Nobleboro Bridge, Harvey Bridge and off Fayle Rd with no luck at any of them. Have heard other anglers who have fared pretty well with brookies, so maybe I'm not fishing the right place at the right time.
brookies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote