Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #21
BillyGr

Should be a fairly easy solution - remove just enough posts at the end to allow a vehicle to fit through. Put a sign there noting that it is for EMERGENCY use only.

With that configuration it is unlikely that people would try to park, since with a very small opening anyone in there would be blocked in by any other vehicle, and enforcement can be done just by regular patrols should they see someone silly enough to try (no need for the extra resources to police it).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #22
saabrian

This is emblematic of how DEC and the Cuomo admin have mismanaged the High Peaks. They ignore the obvious problems for years, despite all the stakeholders them to develop a coherent plan. Then when it gets to crisis stage, they close their eyes start throwing Play-Doh against a wall and hope something sticks.
Completed: Chester Challenge, Tupper Lake Triad
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:40 AM   #23
TDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I also appreciate the shuttle provided by Keene, the additional parking improvements along the 73 corridor but would not appreciate increasing parking capacity at the expense of the wilderness people are visiting.

Just my 1.5 cents
Update, there is no shuttle provided.
TDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #24
MTVhike

Just stopped by the AMR to clear up a few things.
1. You can get your car out at any time, because they don't lock the gate.
2. If you get a parking permit, you can have several additional people without naming them in advance, just state how many on your permit (I remember seeing a limit of 8, but I don't see that limit anywhere).
3. I just checked on getting a permit and, surprise, I could get one for tomorrow at any of the time slots (I thought it would have to be more than 24 hours in advance!). I think I may get one for Thursday for my wife and myself (of course, those time slots were also open).

Last edited by MTVhike; 06-01-2021 at 04:43 PM..
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #25
saabrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Just stopped by the AMR to clear up a few things.
1. You can get your car out at any time, because they don't lock the gate.
2. If you get a parking permit, you can have several additional people without naming them in advance, just state how many on your permit (I remember seeing a limit of 8, but I don't see that limit anywhere).
3. I just checked on getting a permit and, surprise, I could get one for tomorrow at any of the time slots (I thought it would have to be more than 24 hours in advance!). I think I may get one for Thursday for my wife and myself (of course, those time slots were also open).
That's weird, I went there yesterday as well. I asked and was told that the gate to 73 closes at 7 but the attendant at the outpost in inside the Ausable Club at the beginning of Lake Road was there until 10 and could open the gate if I didn't get back before 7.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #26
saabrian

I went to the AMR yesterday for the first time ever. I am a huge fan of the reservation system and hope there is a way to expand it. The process was quick and easy and fair.

I almost never hike in the Rte 73 corridor anymore - yesterday was my first non-winter hike there in 6 years - because I don't want to leave my house at 5 am (for a hike where such an early start is not necessary), drive 1+ hour only to not get a parking spot. This system adds some much needed equity to the system.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #27
Hoser

Are the time slots for actual times or just a placeholder and can arrive anytime? I may have missed this both in initial comm and on their app playing around
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:15 AM   #28
Hoser

I sent them a note and they replied all good not limited by the entrance time of the reservation. Wonder how many inquires they received and why it’s set up this way.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote